MiniDSP-based system GALLERY

Show us your MiniDSP builds....!

This is my latest. 2x4 MiniDSP, Sure 4*100W amp, and SMPS in a no-frill case.

F52wt.jpg

Great attention has been given in the operational aspect. It could be turned on and off without that nasty thump so prevalent with active systems. :cool:

Tyhm5.jpg

Cool! Nice work, gainphile!

I'm interested in building the same thing and I have a few questions.

1. I want to have remote controlled gain. I know the miniDSP boards have headers to connect to a pot. Have you investigated any solutions that can plug in directly? Are the miniDSP gain control headers digital and is attenuating the miniDSP analog outputs a better place to do this?

2. I will need more channels, 6 at least. I'm thinking of making 2 modules, each consisting of a 2x4 miniDSP board and a Sure 4x100W amp. Can I use a 2x4 miniDSP board to implement 1 speaker channel or are the miniDSP plugins strictly working in a pair of channels? In other words can I use 1 miniDSP board to route to a tweeter, mid and a woofer or am I restricted to doing a pair of tweeter and mid on 1 board and the pair of woofers on another?

Thought I can show my minidsp based pre-amplifier as well. :)

It's basically a minidsp & minidigi with two pcm1794 dacs connected by I2S. Also included is a pcb for remote controlled switching 4 digital and 2 analog inputs and volume control. Volume can also be controlled by a rotary encoder. It displays the info on a vfd display.

Attachments

• frontdsp.jpg
    frontdsp.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 4,902
  • backdsp.jpg
    backdsp.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 4,674
  • dsp-internals-small.jpg
    dsp-internals-small.jpg
    918.8 KB · Views: 4,717
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Knuisje,

nice setup! Looks like you used twisted pair dacs, right? What about the volume control? Analog or digital domain? miniDSP or DAC?

How did you realize the digital optical inputs? Simply paralleling Toslink receiver to the build in of the miniDIGI?

I am about to realize a similar project with a miniDSP 2x8 and multichannel analog volume control (PGA).

Hi curryman,

Yes, I used 2 COD and IVY pcb's from Twisted Pear. The volume control is in the digital domain. I used a microcontroller to generate 0 - 3.3V for the master volume control of the minidsp.

The new optical inputs are TORX147 receivers. I removed the 47uH smd inductors from the minidigi so the original receivers are cut off from the power. I connected the new receivers with wires at the same points as the original ones.

Very neat front panel and enclosure! Is this LCD + Rotary encoder + source selection a project of yours? You should sell a little kit to go with it, I'm sure that a lot of people would love it! :)

Quite a lot of things under the hood and thanks for sharing your trick for the optical receivers...

Devteam

Yes, I developed the control board on my own with some support of other Dutch DIYers. It can switch between 4 digital and 2 analog sources using relays and controls the master volume of the minidsp by generating a voltage. Also you see connections for a rotary encoder (volume control), IR receiver (volume & source selection), pushbutton (source selection) and LCD display. Everything is controlled by an AVR microcontroller. A standard Philips remote with RC5 codes can be used and the board can learn the systemcode of the remote.

I'm using the board for one year now and it's functioning very stable, haven't had a single issue with it. Several other Dutch and Belgian DIY-ers are using this board as well.

Attachments

• DSPControlBoard.jpg
    DSPControlBoard.jpg
    378.3 KB · Views: 2,181
Joined 2009
Paid Member
1 X MiniDSP Balanced 4 inputs and 8 outputs boxed

Just finished 1 X MiniDSP Balanced 4 inputs and 8 outputs boxed

Attachments

• DSC00055.jpg
    DSC00055.jpg
    381.4 KB · Views: 376
  • DSC00054.jpg
    DSC00054.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 530
  • DSC00053.jpg
    DSC00053.jpg
    478 KB · Views: 562
  • DSC00052.jpg
    DSC00052.jpg
    421.6 KB · Views: 632
  • DSC00051.jpg
    DSC00051.jpg
    513.5 KB · Views: 2,183
Thought I can show my minidsp based pre-amplifier as well. :)

It's basically a minidsp & minidigi with two pcm1794 dacs connected by I2S. Also included is a pcb for remote controlled switching 4 digital and 2 analog inputs and volume control. Volume can also be controlled by a rotary encoder. It displays the info on a vfd display.

Wow, that's really nice work knuisje!

Its a pair of tri-amped speakers. used on my front channels(and stereo of course)

tweeter: SEAS 27TDFC with 75uf film capacitor for safety (in case i make a mistake programming)
mid/bass: SEAS ER18RNX
woofer: CSS SDX10

tweeters and mid/bass powered by emotiva upa-500
woofers powered by emotiva upa-200

miniDSP 4x10(2x8 plugin)

yriwzb3.jpg

I am really happy with this. it sounds fantastic, very clear, goes down as low as i can hear, and i can make any changes i like without buying new crossover bits.

other people have asked me if the emotivas should be stacked. here they are after being on with the TV on for a few hours and then loud music for a couple of hours.

m2ETtL6.jpg

not bad at all 28.4c is the hottest thing on the picture, and i still haven't put feet on the miniDSP to get it off the vents of the top emotiva.

a cool trick, if you do something like this, and keep your old center and rear channel powered by a reciever, is to adjust the PEQ on the midrange to be wrong in a similar way to your old speakers, and use that miniDSP preset when watching things with surround. it makes the miniDSP powered speakers sound close enough to the old ones that there is no strangeness.

i have:
preset 1: music. everything full flat and REQwizzed as best possible for my room. lots of bass extention

preset 2: same as above but "neighbors home" bass is reduced and no "linkwitz" boost below woofer resonance.

preset 3: all out but with midbass altered to sound more like the little polks i have for surround speakers

preset 4: same as above but with "neighbor home" on the bass.

For some reason, no one's posted anything here for some time, and I didn't know this thread existed, so I never posted my speaker project.

I built the Darbari -- the enclosures were done in 2013, the measurements and the crossover were done in Sep 2014.

front-view-final-with-wedge_0.jpeg

woofer-box-plan.png

upper-box-plan.png

I used the MiniDSP 4x10HD, feeding six analog outputs to a Marantz AV receiver in 7-channel mode.

Lots more photos on my pages including a lot of construction details.