MiniDSP + REW

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys!

I have just ordered my miniDSP, I am hoping to use it in conjunction with REW software, I am a HVAC controls technician so figuring out the software is the easy part, I have already managed to calibrate my sound card, yet to do my mic. There is minimal information about using the software to measure room response, Is there anywhere like a "RTA for dummies " on how to set up mic position in the room? I have a terrible room set up, unfortunately its almost a square room, with hard walls and polished floorboards, and a glass coffee table in the middle.. so far from ideal... My Equipment list is as follows;

- Presonus Audiobox usb DAC/soundcard
- Dayton 100-a T-Amp
- Curvy Chang full range, Pioneer BOFU drivers + Dayton tweeter combo
- Shure SM58 Mic to measure
- soon to come MiniDSP

Also, what plug-in do i need to buy? Mixer v1.0?

Cheers

I understand how to work the actual software it's self, that's no issue, my confusion lies in where to place the microphone in room to measure the room response to fully utalize EQ within REW software correctly... I have drawn a picture of my lounge room, the two red box's indicating the loudspeakers positioning within the room. I have tried to draw it to scale.

Lounge.jpg

Will microphone placement be where my head would be for normal listening? or do i measure each loudspeaker seperatly @ 1m and equalize for the speakers rather than the room?

James

PS. these are the speakers I built / Using :)

DSC01076.jpg

Last edited:
@ Jamii,

Since you already know how to use our software, I'd recommend that you read more about REW and its setup since that's what you're after here. There is a very good community @ HomeTheaterShack here . I'd recommend that before you ask basics question, you read their very good FAQ and the numerous post made on their technical articles. It's a free software powered by a dedicated team, but you also need to do your basic homework in learning how to make measurements thanks to their tech notes.

Hope this helps,

DevTeam

Hi Guys

I think this is an old post...so I do not feel too bad asking an allied question.

Unlike the more learned people here. I have NO idea how to set up the UMIK-1 with the REW software. I have tried to read as much as I can, but there is no idiots guide to setting it up.

I get no noise and I think it has something to do with my on-board sound. But I do not understand anything about this....What are the settings for the on-board sound (RealTek) and the Preferences for RAW.

Sorry for the stupid questions...but it is very confusing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.