NaO II and miniDSP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A great speaker package following few weeks of great partnership! We're glad to have John on board of the miniDSP community! His product offering is the perfect fit for whoever is looking for a turnkey open baffle design meeting John's stringent listening tests.

If you haven't had a chance to read John's technical studies and seen his well known NaO speaker series, make sure to browse his website!

DevTeam

NaO Note D? I expect you'd need to retain the passive filter componants to roll off the lower SEAS driver?

Yes, the Note is a hybrid only design with active crossover and eq between the woofer and panel. I am working on use of the miniDSP 2x4 as a substitute for the analog active part of the Note. The passive crossover for the panel will be retained.

The NaO II with miniDSP 2x4 is also a hybrid with passive mid/tweeter x-o. I will offer the NaO II in fully active mode with the miniDSP 2x8 board.

I will have a third speaker in the NaO series which will be offered only with the miniDSP 2x8 as a fully active system. Look for that fall/winter of 2011.

your purchase includes the miniDSP configuration files
for changing woofer format and access to the PC plug-in
required to load the configuration from you PC. This plug-in can
also be used to adjust the high and low frequency balance of
your system, in real time, to suite you taste and or room

Hi John, does that mean that a purchaser can adjust only a subset of the parameters of the two-way crossover?

Hi John, does that mean that a purchaser can adjust only a subset of the parameters of the two-way crossover?

Yes and no. There are open stages of parametric eq that can be used and there is noting stopping you from over-riding my crossover specification, though I would not recommend doing that. But the bottom line is that this is why I supply the config files. You can do anything you like and if you decide to go back to the true NaO II format you can just reload the config.

However, remember that the NaO II is a proven design of reasonably long standing. I would suggest that tailoring bass and tweeter levels with shelving filters to suit specific taste/environments should be all that is needed.

Yes and no. There are open stages of parametric eq that can be used and there is noting stopping you from over-riding my crossover specification, though I would not recommend doing that. But the bottom line is that this is why I supply the config files. You can do anything you like and if you decide to go back to the true NaO II format you can just reload the config.

However, remember that the NaO II is a proven design of reasonably long standing. I would suggest that tailoring bass and tweeter levels with shelving filters to suit specific taste/environments should be all that is needed.

Thanks John - makes sense.

More great news!

any tidbits? SPL capability??

With a Neo3 tweeter?

Neo3, probably,

True dipole woofer,

With full woofer compliment Max SPL at 30 Hz for one channel should be approximately 92 dB/M in free space or 98dB/M 2 Pi (ground plane), or both channels, 104dB. In a room, should be sufficient.

The idea will be focused on getting cost down. A full driver set for a stereo pair should run between $650 and $850. Add to that the 2x8 miniDSP and you have the guts of a high performance dipole speaker starting at under $1000.

You just can not do this with active analog or passive crossovers. The miniDSP opens up a completely versatile design option. The miniDSPTeam has opened up a new horizon for the DIY speaker builder/designer.

I just started working with it more and with the addition of the bi-quad specification there is a lot more that can be done with them. One of my concerns was the limitation of output. I don't recall if I was just unaware of of it or if the balanced version was not available when I first tested the board I was provided. In any event, today with the balanced version and/or the 2x8, output levels are high enough to drive any amp I am aware of to full power.

Then there is the issue of parts. It is becoming more and more difficult to obtain parts, particularly capacitors in the values required to build my NaO active circuits. Places like Digi Key and Mouser, Avnet, etc don't seem to stock a lot of the otherwise standard values. The miniDSP seems like the natural path to follow moving forward. It's only going to get better.

Sounds like a nice replacement for the NaO Mini John. 'NaO Nano'?
How about an upscale active Note using the MiniDSP 2x8 that just retains the passive filter between the 4424 and the Neo 3 but uses the DSP for everything else? I've got a 2x8 on order now...

Last edited:
Although still showing out of stock on the MiniDSP store page, 2x8s appear to be back in- mine is on the way. It strikes me that a 2x8 configuration for the Note could include options for bi-amp, tri-amp and quad-amped active versions depending on how many amps or how much or little of the passive crossover the user wishes to employ. I've just been playing with the MiniDSP software for the 2x8. It seems very easy to use indeed, and I think it'll be the measurements that take the real time and effort, not the crossover setup. As existing owners are probably already aware, a Beta version of the 2x8 plug-in with support for REW integration is available now.

Although still showing out of stock on the MiniDSP store page, 2x8s appear to be back in- mine is on the way. It strikes me that a 2x8 configuration for the Note could include options for bi-amp, tri-amp and quad-amped active versions depending on how many amps or how much or little of the passive crossover the user wishes to employ. I've just been playing with the MiniDSP software for the 2x8. It seems very easy to use indeed, and I think it'll be the measurements that take the real time and effort, not the crossover setup. As existing owners are probably already aware, a Beta version of the 2x8 plug-in with support for REW integration is available now.

My 2x8 is also on the way. The Note will remains a biamped hybrid only with analog or 2x4 miniDSP active crossover. I will offer the NaO II fully active with the 2x8.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.