miniDSP in a box - running change to the RCA's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently picked up a miniDSP-in-a-box, haven't hooked it up yet, but I noticed that the RCA I/O are different from (and lesser than) those shown on the website.

Instead of being panel mounted, as shown on the website,
miniDSP_box_small.jpg

they're just soldered to the board and passed through the holes in the chassis.

The current, shipping (at least to me) product seems less durable than the one shown on the website, because torque could shear the RCA's from the board rather than having the chassis take those stresses.
Was this a running change?

Last edited:
@ Pallas,

We indeed need to update the website pic.. will get to that this week!

As for your comments about less durable, the reason for going to PCB mount (vs panel mount before) was actually the other way around... :) Change was done to provide a stronger/more reliable unit for users who wish to open the box and change the sensitivity jumper settings. After receiving a couple of box where users had pulled the wires inside (and didn't know how to re-solder), it did make sense to us to move to PCB mount.

The gold plated, PCB mount connectors, having 5 anchors to the PCB (4 solder + 1 plastic) are almost impossible to move. (even harder for us to even desolder.. :) They are also of very good quality (from a good know supplier) and of all the platform we've shipped, haven't had a single issue with them if that gives you a bit more confidence.

Hoping this information helps and have fun with your unit,

DevTeam

Plugs soldered to boards have always been a source of reliability problems (compared to case mounted plugs connected by wires). The wires allow some flex/force to be applied to the plugs without risk of cracking the solder joint. The wire to chassis mounted mounted approach is vastly superior notwithstanding a few cases of wires getting pulled off.

However, the best solution in your case, which would address both issues, is a "hybrid" of the two: plugs mounted on a frame which is attached to the circuit board with the electrical connection going through a wire. This is what we see on IBM/Lenovo laptops such as the R61. This fixes one of the most common points of physical failure on laptops. I've been doing computer service of one sort or another for decades - for a few of those years I also serviced laptop [hardware] and one of the most common failures (after Virus/Malware) was failure of the solider connections where the plug was soldered directly to the circuit board.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.