Enclosure Recommendations for 2x8

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Fellows, I need enclosure recommendations for 2x8 for following scenarios

1) Pre-amp: Should be able to mount MiniDSP + 8 channel volume with remote

2) Controller: Should be able to mount MiniDSP + Computer + 8 channel analog volume

any information or pointers will be greatly appreciated.

TiA

I intend to buy a 1U rack from modu/hifi2000 to fit my 2x8 into. I am still trying to decide what size I need. It will need to house the 2x8, the power supply, a minidigi and a ministreamer. Also, there has to be enough room on the back panel to accept all of the inputs/outputs. I want the unit to operate and look like a 'proper' hifi separate. It will effectively be the pre-amp in my fully active three way system. It all adds up to a lot of back panel real estate! Seems a shame to have to use a 2U case, as it will be drowned inside there!

Does anyone have any pictures of their 2x8 in a case yet?

Regards,

Jai

I intend to buy a 1U rack from modu/hifi2000 to fit my 2x8 into. I am still trying to decide what size I need. It will need to house the 2x8, the power supply, a minidigi and a ministreamer. Also, there has to be enough room on the back panel to accept all of the inputs/outputs. I want the unit to operate and look like a 'proper' hifi separate. It will effectively be the pre-amp in my fully active three way system. It all adds up to a lot of back panel real estate! Seems a shame to have to use a 2U case, as it will be drowned inside there!

Regards,

Jai

I just ordered a 2X8 and are thinking to the same as you are writing about(use it like a pre-amp in active 3 way with mini digi and mini streamer). I am also looking for a nice chassis, I think it needs to be 2U. Have you found any nice chassis yet?

I intend to buy a 1U rack from modu/hifi2000 to fit my 2x8 into. I am still trying to decide what size I need. It will need to house the 2x8, the power supply, a minidigi and a ministreamer. Also, there has to be enough room on the back panel to accept all of the inputs/outputs. I want the unit to operate and look like a 'proper' hifi separate. It will effectively be the pre-amp in my fully active three way system. It all adds up to a lot of back panel real estate!

Multipin XLR and speakon connectors to your rescue perhaps?

Seems a shame to have to use a 2U case, as it will be drowned inside there!

Regards,

Jai

Here's what I'm doing with mine (still a work in progress)

For the outputs I'm using (2) RJ-45 connectors (one for Ch's 1,3,5,7) (the other for Ch's 2,4,6,8)
minidsp2x8Rear.jpg

I plan on adding a miniStreamer for USB input, a couple extra analog inputs (adding an input selector)
minidsp2x8Inside.jpg

minidsp2x8InsideClose.jpg

minidsp2x8Front.jpg

It's not pretty, but I'm sure once I make a nice wooden face and nice knobs for the input selector and volume control it will look fine

D

Last edited:
Thanks mrwireless... Hopefully the Cat6 doesn't compromise the sound in any way (I've re-twisted the +/- pairs as tightly as possible inside the enclosure, then wrapped them in foil before shrink tubing them, in hopes of providing another level of shielding (hopefully I haven't effectively turned them in into antennas). The cat5 connecting the x-over to the 8Ch power amp will only be around 2 feet long.

I'm using it as a Stereo 4Ch crossover for my 3way + Sub. Yes, with the on-board volume control and 10k pot. It's works seamlessly

I've always suspected cat5/6 would be quite good, it has a tough job in its intended purpose.

Interesting you are using the on board volume control. I was never really satisfied with it (in theory, being in the digital domain) and in practice in terms of the dynamic range available (~70 dB, though i seemed to get much less with my 10K linear pot?? - the lowest volume setting was really not low enough). I have a couple 2x4 and now wondering what the 2x8 can bring.

Noise level was a significant problem, too much hiss. A real shame because in principle it's an awesome offering, i just hope i can make it work for me one day.

For now i intend to assign it to EQ duties in the digital domain, using miniDIGI coax in/out, then onto a normal stereo dac/pre-amp, and finally active analogue crossover.

What it really begs for is an 8-channel analogue volume control after the DSP.

Best of luck with your build.

The speakers on my test desk are 2-way, near-field monitors. Tweeter is Dayton DC25T-8 (Specs. say SPL is 93 dB 1W/1m). I can hear a tiny bit of hiss from my listening position (3 feet away). The hiss is definitely coming from the miniDSP board, but it's very faint.

I bought an IRVC2 6Ch volume control board (which I have yet to build) for my DCX-2496... Eventually I may buy the expansion board for it and add more channels to use with the miniDSP, but for now it's quiet enough for me.

You're absolutely right about the 10k pot not completely attenuating the signal. I can still hear the music a bit when I turn the volume down.

mrwireless... I'm so glad you brought up the noise level issue... I decided to complete the IRVC2 build last night and I'm just testing it now for the 1st time with the 2x8... What a difference!!! It's dead silent (almost) I have to place my ear within 12 inches of the tweeters to hear the slightest bit of hiss... From my listening position it's dead silent.

Now I've got it remote control working with it, and as soon as I get the LCD working I'll have basic display functionality... I'm about to order the slave board for the IRVC2 to control channels 7&8... I believe I can program that board to use the remaining 2 PGA chips as selectable inputs as well.

That's good to know, actually you are rekindling my interest in using the miniDSP as a crossover and not just EQ.

The beauty of putting the gain control after the miniDSP is that you can crank up the output and get the best possible SNR out of the DSP unit. The noise level is still higher than it ought to be in my view (OK i'm probably asking too much for the money) but once it's attenuated, it seems, to be quite acceptable.

I have seen these 6 channel PGA2311 volume control boards on eBay and according to the vendor two can be used with one control unit to get a 12 channel volume control. Of course the two will mirror each other in terms of offsets between channels, but that's fine here. This might be a route i go down....and no doubt upgrade to a 2x8 at some point. Oh how this hobby can be expensive!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.