miniDSP configuration

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been studying manuals but I'm still not sure if this is possible with miniDSP? If yes, what are the configuration possibilities?
View attachment 218171

Ok, we now can see your configuration. When you do system design and trying to figure out your in/out, think Inputs, think outputs. Then you can figure out how many miniDSP/miniDIGI you'll need. In your case :

- You have a total of 2 stereo audio source over SPDIF (selectable to one active source I'm thinking?) so one miniDIGI is required to make this happen.
- On the outputs, you have 4ch of digital audio (i.e. 2x I2S data lines) and 2 analog outputs (to SUB).

All together, that 2x in, 6 x out to be processed. So at least 2 x miniDSP kits 2x4 for the processing will be required.In the end, you have no less than 3 options:
- 2 x Stacks of (1 x miniDIGI + 1 x miniDSP), with each DAC connected to a SPDIF output. (By far the easiest but will need an SPDIF spliter at input to split the SPDIF signal to both stacks)

More DIY solutions by grabing the I2S feed. see tech note for more info.
- 2 x miniDSP kits stacked with one miniDIGI
- 1 x miniDSP 2x8 + 1x miniDIGI (you can grab the I2S lines from the board)

Hope this helps.

DevTeam

Thank you for your answer

Looking at your suggestion I have a feeling this would be the best and most flexible solution for me: 1 x miniDSP 2x8 + 1x miniDIGI

So with this in mind I have tried to figure out how the input selection could be made.

I think my drawing miss an analogue input because I need to be able to connect my measuring system. And this gives me some thoughts.

In http://www.minidsp.com/images/documents/miniDIGI manual.pdf I read
“1.2 Input source selection: Digital input selection can be made on J11 (SPDIF#1 and 2/TOSLINK#1 and 2)”

and

“Digital / Analog source selection via toggle switch: J1 I2S_DATA_IN5&6, we can toggle between analog (from the ADC on miniDSP) and Digital (from the miniDIGI) with a toggle switch.”

So even if I use the 2x8 board I can do an input selection between the 4 digital inputs on the miniDIGI board and the analogue inputs of the 2x8 board?

Thank you for your answer

Looking at your suggestion I have a feeling this would be the best and most flexible solution for me: 1 x miniDSP 2x8 + 1x miniDIGI

So with this in mind I have tried to figure out how the input selection could be made.

I think my drawing miss an analogue input because I need to be able to connect my measuring system. And this gives me some thoughts.

In http://www.minidsp.com/images/documents/miniDIGI manual.pdf I read
“1.2 Input source selection: Digital input selection can be made on J11 (SPDIF#1 and 2/TOSLINK#1 and 2)”

and

“Digital / Analog source selection via toggle switch: J1 I2S_DATA_IN5&6, we can toggle between analog (from the ADC on miniDSP) and Digital (from the miniDIGI) with a toggle switch.”

So even if I use the 2x8 board I can do an input selection between the 4 digital inputs on the miniDIGI board and the analogue inputs of the 2x8 board?
Is this correct?

@ Pof,

This scheme wouldn't apply since we're talking of the miniDSP 2x8 here... However, truth is that you may not need it! :)

1n the miniDSP kit (2x4 configurations), you need this trick since the configuration is a 2x IN, 4 x OUT. In the miniDSP 2x8 + miniDIGI, a lot of people already realized that it's actually 4xIN (both analog AND digital inputs can be on at the same time thanks to the internal mixer). In other words, you could have your analog audio input always routed inside the DSP. Just need to build some sort of source selector selecting between analog (analog on), digital (analog muted maybe) and have the digital selector to select between one of the 4 sources...
Makes sense?

DevTeam

Thanks!

What you are saying is that if I have a miniDSP 2x8 + miniDIGI setup, and I send a signal to the analogue input and a digital input, I will get a mix of the two signals on the output if I setup the miniDSP that way? And then I could put the analogue input to ground if I don’t need the input?

But then I would get whatever noise there would be from the analogue input always when using the digital input? While I’m only using the analogue input for measuring system once in a while maybe I should set the configuration from my PC every time. And disable the analogue input in the configuration for playing music.

miniDSP 2x8 doesn’t have any digital input selection like the 2x4? Can’t see it in the manual. So I could have both inputs “on” in the miniDSP configuration and switch the unused digital source off (using your mixing suggestion)?

Thanks in advance.
Peter

Thanks!

What you are saying is that if I have a miniDSP 2x8 + miniDIGI setup, and I send a signal to the analogue input and a digital input, I will get a mix of the two signals on the output if I setup the miniDSP that way? And then I could put the analogue input to ground if I don’t need the input?
Yes that's correct. Please have a look at the user manual and especially the mixer/router section. It's all there and will be clearer.

But then I would get whatever noise there would be from the analogue input always when using the digital input? While I’m only using the analogue input for measuring system once in a while maybe I should set the configuration from my PC every time. And disable the analogue input in the configuration for playing music.
Well, if that's a problem, then mute that input (e.g. DIY some sort of input audio selector for the analog part.

miniDSP 2x8 doesn’t have any digital input selection like the 2x4? Can’t see it in the manual. So I could have both inputs “on” in the miniDSP configuration and switch the unused digital source off (using your mixing suggestion)?

Mmmh, not sure what you mean here.. but basically, the 2x4 is 2in (analog OR digital) while the 2x8 + a miniDIGI combined with the 4x10 plug-in is an actual 4 x in (2 x analog AND 2 digital), 10 out (8xanalog, 2 digital). So it's not the same... Please look at the plug-in datasheet again, I think that the DSP diagram should show everything that you may have as a question. A lot clearer than in words anyway to my mind... :)

Hope this helps,

Thanks in advance.
Peter[/QUOTE]

Hi,

after thinking and soldering and connecting and reconnecting etc for a while i found this last post ... possibly you wish to add a comment in the miniDigi manual that the analog/digital toggle dies not work on the 2x8.

Best
Christian

Too bad....
An analog/digital configuration with the 2x8 is exactly what I need.
I wanted to use the 2x8 as a crossover for my diy 3way speakers with 2 sources,1 digital from my audio pc using the minidigi and 1 analog,the preouts of my av receiver for home cinema.I thought toggling between the sources would be possible...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.