2x8 kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This always happens to me, as soon as I buy something a better one comes out. I think I'm satisfied with what I have and it would have cost several times as much without a gain in functionality. Perhaps four in and eight out....
Its got a higher sampling rate but I doubt I'd hear the difference.

At this point I see no reason to spend $600 more for two of these. My three miniDSPs do everything I need. There is the matter of diminishing returns for additional cost. I just hope they continue to refine the plug-ins for the 2x4 miniDSPs. I've spent thousands on an active speaker system and am well pleased.

I would need two because I need a center speaker, having just two inputs prevents this. This would be great for four way projects although two way for L/R/C speakers is enough for me. I use the pre/pro's sub output and use a miniDSP for equalization of it. I do use three 2x4 MiniDSP in a Box, one balanced just for the subs as I am using a pro amp. I do wish for a 4x8 which would allow me to use just one and for the dubious advantage of a higher sampling rate. As I said though, the original and the balanced miniDSPs are wonderful for the time being. Yesterday I just switched my L/R midwoofers to a more powerful amp (Emotiva XPA-3) which I had been using for just the subs and center midwoofer until I got a pro-amp for the subs.

Last edited:
Could I use the USB Ministreamer instead of the MiniDigi? How many miniAmps will the 2x8 kit support? Thanks.

The miniStreamer integration will still not be plug&play for the same reason as other platforms (USB audio devices typically following their own sampling rate.

Only one miniAMP was tested/stacked on the board. More info about board stacking to be followed in usermanual in the middle of this week.

DevTeam

This always happens to me, as soon as I buy something a better one comes out. I think I'm satisfied with what I have and it would have cost several times as much without a gain in functionality. Perhaps four in and eight out....
Its got a higher sampling rate but I doubt I'd hear the difference.

Hehehe.. It's Ok Theresa, your setup is already perfectly fine with your miniDSP + miniDSP balanced and more input channels than a miniDSP 2x8 could process.. Technology always evolve, so don't look back too much. Enjoy! :)

I don't think so. But would that be a show-stopper for you? Dave.

@bobkamikaze, it won't support FIR on the first plug-in. Maybe in future revisions of the plug-in/configurations but not sure yet.. Although we have about 3 times the processing power of a typical miniDSP, FIR filters still require a lot of taps (i.e.memory) which in these platforms won't end up being a lot of processing.

For that reason, for the time being, we won't claim that it support FIR until we start to look at what FIR processing we can and can't do. This task is a longer term solution.

Hehehe.. It's Ok Theresa, your setup is already perfectly fine with your miniDSP + miniDSP balanced and more input channels than a miniDSP 2x8 could process.. Technology always evolve, so don't look back too much. Enjoy! :)

Your right of course. The only thing I would really gain is a higher sampling rate which I wouldn't hear. I love the miniDSPs, they have done so much to improve my system. To my old ears they do not degrade the sound quality at all. Additionally I don't have the skills or tools to make a cabinet for the unit.

Last edited:
Hi,
I have ordered one of these together with a minidigi to get digital input. At the moment I use a pc convolver with brutefir and FIR filters in a 3-way stereo setup. It would be interesting to see how it compares.
I have a couple of questions:
1) Would it be possible to import measurements in the future?
2)Is it any possibility to install a display to show volume and active preset?
3)In the datasheet you say 10k load on potmeter. Any problem to use higher values?

/Paal

Hi,
I have ordered one of these together with a minidigi to get digital input. At the moment I use a pc convolver with brutefir and FIR filters in a 3-way stereo setup. It would be interesting to see how it compares.
I have a couple of questions:
3)In the datasheet you say 10k load on potmeter. Any problem to use higher values?

/Paal

Hello Paal,
I guess that compared to a Brutefir solution, the internal latency of the processor (200uS, microsecond) vs the 100's of mS from a PC, maybe a first valuable tool if you ever need video synch.. :) FIR based filters however do have other advantages that IIR based platforms (like miniDSP) do not...

In answer to your questions:
ANS: Yes, we will indeed implement this feature like in miniDSP advanced.

ANS: maybe in the future. A neat add-on but it's a bit early to say when we'll add it to the list of todo.

ANS: No, you could go with a 100k I guess.. but it was tested with a 10K.

Hope this helps,
DevTeam

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.