Open-baffle with the miniDSP - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > miniDSP

miniDSP Low cost, modular Digital Signal Processor (DSP) kits for the DIYer from miniDSP.

Old 26th December 2010, 07:25 AM   #1
JohnR is offline JohnR  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Open-baffle with the miniDSP

I've put up an article/tutorial on HifiZine on using the 4-way PEQ plugin for an open baffle speaker. I'd be happy to respond to comments, suggestions, or questions either here or there. This is the first part of what is most likely going to be a three-part tutorial:

http://www.hifizine.com/2010/12/prot...e-minidsp-2x4/

Parts 2 and 3 will be a bit more advanced. Thanks, please feel free to let me know what you think

JohnR
Old 27th December 2010, 09:49 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi John

Thank you for your excellent tutorial!

Very timely for me:
A small question re the DC power supply: I also will use an external supply
The power supply wiring picture shows (apparently) one supply, with 2 sets of leads to the screw terminals of the two miniDSP units.
While 5 -24 V works, what is the optimum voltage, and in particular, what off-the-shelf unit did you use (I'm also in Oz), that has 2 sets of leads?
Old 28th December 2010, 12:41 AM   #3
JohnR is offline JohnR  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi, you're welcome, thanks for the feedback The power supply voltage is not critical, as it is regulated down again on the board. I'd suggest a 12V DC supply, although it doesn't really matter. I'm just using a simple unregulated supply I made a few years ago with the two leads soldered to a DC socket. You could do something like that, or connect the second DC jack up from the first - actually now I think about it perhaps I should have shown that arrangement.

Good question on local availability. Here is the kind of thing available in the US (I haven't used one but I'm told they're fine) :

Amazon.com: Pyramid PS3KX 3-Amp 12-Volt Power Supply: Electronics

I'm not really finding anything equivalent locally yet. But you can use almost anything, I've used a cellphone charger too - just cut the connector on the end off and wire it up. Just be sure to check the polarity with a multimeter.
Old 28th December 2010, 01:04 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Very nice John, amazing how versatile the miniDSP is. I enjoyed how the article was written to benefit anyone wanting to move from a passive crossover to full DSP. Being able to use up to 48db/oct slopes is very tempting.
Old 28th December 2010, 03:31 AM   #5
minidsp is offline minidsp  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Indeed, a very nice tutorial John! Great stuff...

You're covering a lot of the basics and step by step procedure... A lot of good info for those who want to start twinkering with miniDSP and learn its full potential...

Looking forward to part 2!

DevTeam
Old 11th January 2011, 10:12 AM   #6
DQ828 is offline DQ828  Australia
diyAudio Member

Well done, nice work. Just a little bit late for me though, would of saved me a lot of time.

Keep up the good work

David

Re power supply, I'm just using two old Motorola phone charges, one for each board, works fine.

Last edited by DQ828; 11th January 2011 at 10:15 AM.
Old 6th February 2011, 12:16 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I just bought the mindsp for my OB speakers, I only need a 2 way setup what would be the best plugin to buy?
The 2way xover advanced looks like it to me.
Thanks.
Old 8th February 2011, 03:11 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hello:

I am in the same boat: Trying to use two amps for a 2-way OB speaker.

The mid/high driver (one per side) will run full range and be powered by an SET amp.

The 15in bass section (one driver per side) will be powered by a SS amp.

I am still researching but think I can get away with one MiniDSP with the 2-way PEQ plugin so I have some parametric adjustments to the low end.

Still learning this MiniDSP unit so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

HL
Old 8th February 2011, 04:57 AM   #9
minidsp is offline minidsp  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

@ Scrappydoo & 2skunks,

1 x miniDSP kit/2x4 + 1 x 2way Advanced (integration with REW) is indeed all you will need for a 2 way stereo configuration. Another advantage of the Advanced plug-in would be the capability to program custom filters like a linkwitz transform.

Hope this info helps.
Old 9th February 2011, 12:00 AM   #10
ttan98 is offline ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minidsp View Post
@ Scrappydoo & 2skunks,

1 x miniDSP kit/2x4 + 1 x 2way Advanced (integration with REW) is indeed all you will need for a 2 way stereo configuration. Another advantage of the Advanced plug-in would be the capability to program custom filters like a linkwitz transform.

Hope this info helps.
what is integration with REW?

Hide this!Advertise here!