Volume control, digital input and output

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been looking around for the possibilities for digital crossover and room correction lately and miniDSP look like an interesting choice.

I have a few questions I hope somebody is able to answer…

1 - I understand there is a possibility to connect a volume control so the miniDSP don’t need a preamp. If my only music sources are digital, Squeezebox/digital out from the CD player, the digital signals are converted for the first time in the DAC after the DSP?

2 - How is the volume control implemented inside the miniDSP? Is it “just” a calculation/reduction of the signal so to speak? I mean – how is resolution at low levels?

3 - Is there a version with digital input and digital output – where the signal is not converted into analogue domain? If yes, I will be able to connect whatever DAC to the output I like?

Thanks in advance
Peter

1. The first conversion is AD, then after the dsp processing is the second conversion, DA. All these steps are performed on the dsp chip. To avoid the AD conversion you need a Minidigi which accepts SPDIF.
2. In my experience digital volume control doesn't degrade the sound audible.
3. See 1. Digital output as I2S is available in the plain Minidsp. For SPDIF out you need a Minidigi.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.