Equal Loudness Contour filter with MiniDSP. Can be done? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > miniDSP

miniDSP Low cost, modular Digital Signal Processor (DSP) kits for the DIYer from miniDSP.

Old 3rd December 2010, 01:41 AM   #11
minidsp is offline minidsp  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

To all,

Sorry for the late reply.. We weren't ignoring all the good comments and ideas being shared. Just been very busy, that's all! :-)

The idea is indeed very good. With miniDSP, we indeed have the ability to implement a simple Loudness control using the well known Fletcher and Munson curves.

Not much work apart from programming the features, adding and toggle for the external control potentiometer (from volume to loudness). Then adding some controls in the UI for selecting the high and low freq.

A good idea that we'll try to implement in the future.

DevTeam.
Old 23rd March 2011, 05:41 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Hello minidsp,
I just wanted to jump on and voice my opinion as well since you said you wanted to see how many people actually desire this feature.
I am personally very much interested to see this feature implemented.

THANK YOU for all your hard work, efforts and most of all staying in contact with the user base and listening to the suggestions.
Best of Luck!!!
Old 20th May 2011, 08:52 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

+1 on implementing a loudness at different gain levels function with Fletcher and Munson!!! This would really take the MiniDSP to the next level for an already great product.

Waiting for the update......

Thanks in advance MiniDSP team!
Old 21st May 2011, 05:49 AM   #14
VK6FUN is offline VK6FUN  Australia
diyAudio Member

I am interested in the possibility of using the miniDSP as a cheap hearing aid so i'm trying to follow this closely.

My theory is that CIC (completely in canal) hearing aids cost thousands and this expense is not even half-covered by health insurance companies therefore discriminating against the half-deaf (like me).

I would be quite happy to settle for CUH (completely under hat) or CITP (completely in top pocket) if i could simply build and tune it myself for a few hundred bux!

Your comments are keenly sought

cheers

pete vk6fun
Old 23rd May 2011, 02:35 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

@ IBM5150

We indeed still hope to be able to implement this feature in an upcoming plug-in.. Things have just been a busy on the release of our new platforms. It's always a juggle of time between Hardware dev and Software (plug-in) dev for our team. We'll let you know what comes out.

DevTeam
Old 23rd May 2011, 02:43 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

@ Pete,

Well miniDSP for a hearing aid would be a first but we're always happy to help especially if we can help you save some bucks! :-)
With it's very low power requirements (150mA @ 5V), it could operate on a battery (e.g. 12V) but I don't think that it would be considered as a "low power device" with this said.. You might have to figure out the battery requirements (online calculators)

With this said, we don't have much knowledge of the requirements of an hearing aid... what processing you'd need? What's the impedance of these in ear canal piece? You'd have to have a closer DIY look on your side since that's a bit "out of typical" knowledge.

Hope this helps

DevTeam
Old 23rd May 2011, 03:25 AM   #17
VK6FUN is offline VK6FUN  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi thanx for getting back to me.

I intend to start experimenting with cheap hardware so we're talking about driving a pair of reasonably good quality earplugs.

for input it would just be two electrets.

most of us fifty-something year olds start losing frequency response in a ski slope from -2dB @ 80Hz up to -50dB @4kHz. often there is a deep valley around 1.5-2kHz so all sensitivity to sibillance is lost.f sounds like sh
etc. deep bass sounds become extremely annoying and overwhelming.

hearing aid salesmen ("audiologists") will provide usually free of charge an audiogram which is basically a settings chart for a graphic equaliser.

tuning out different background interference is where it really starts to get interesting.

it should be possible to fool around with different audio parameters and tune such a setup for different environments etc. the miniDSP appears to be capable of such a task. Changing perceived loudness at different volume settings is what is known as "super hearing"

ideally i'd like to power it with a 7805 (ie NiMH) or 7809 (IE 9v transistor batt).

pete vk6fun
Old 26th October 2012, 08:10 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

+1 from me.

Great idea George.
Old 6th December 2012, 11:14 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

A very late reply but an idea. A simple way to do what this might be as follows, but would require the MiniDSP remain connected to its PC: you would have two (or more) EQ curves for various desired listening levels. I already do something similar. I EQ by ear, 1/3 octave pink noise, so that each band SOUNDS the same to me. You could do this for (say) a 60 dB SPL and 100 dB, and the load the curves as needed. Like many custom ideas this is good because it would be 100% tailored to your unique system/ears; it's simpler; it's "off the shelf." It is worse because it requires more wires and fiddling, but hey, that is the DIY part of the hobby.
Old 4th August 2013, 10:10 AM   #20
gpapag is offline gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Member

I still havn't seen any activity for implementing a sw Loudness compensation function tracking the Volume control.
From the data manual of another device http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tas5548.pdf I quote the section that contains info for implementing such a function.
I hope that it can be of some help to DevTeam

George
Attached Images
File Type: jpg loud.jpg (488.7 KB, 118 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!