MiniDSP vs DCX2496 vs DCX2496-Modded vs DEQX - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > miniDSP

miniDSP Low cost, modular Digital Signal Processor (DSP) kits for the DIYer from miniDSP.

Old 10th December 2010, 08:13 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

The complexity seems to be due to its massive features. I heard it can automatically measure and set xo points, eq, etc. Whether that actually is a correct way to design loudspeakers I'm not sure (perhaps in anaechoic chamber, yes).

During the comparo we were more interested to see sound quality aspects. Unfortunately we could not get it working properly even with simple straightforward xo setting.
Old 30th December 2010, 02:15 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default Tube preamp don't like dsp?

What kind of trouble have with tube preamp and preamp?, hppy new year!!!
Old 23rd July 2011, 08:57 AM   #13
terry j is offline terry j  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainphile View Post
The complexity seems to be due to its massive features. I heard it can automatically measure and set xo points, eq, etc. Whether that actually is a correct way to design loudspeakers I'm not sure (perhaps in anaechoic chamber, yes).

During the comparo we were more interested to see sound quality aspects. Unfortunately we could not get it working properly even with simple straightforward xo setting.
Hi gainphile (and minidsp!)

A couple of points if of interest re the deqx.

No, it does not automatically set crossover points etc etc, it (like minidsp in this regard) is nothing but a dumb machine, it does what you tell it to. (well, ignore that there will be a warning, but you get my drift)

Send a twenty hz signal to your tweeter, because you have said so, then goodbye tweeter! In other words, no different to the precautions you need to take with minidsp or behringer.

I cannot comment on how it was set up in that specific configuration, only to note that the person who did the setup is, hmm, perhaps not the best one to do it?

Oh, and yes, it CAN be complex to set up indeed. Especially when you are first learning, but let's not beat around the bush, as much as you can make a speaker sound great you can easily make it sound bad. That of course might not apply only to the deqx.

(oh, in case you have not realised, I run a deqx)

Minidsp team, I would not personally put too much emphasis on steep slopes (talking 300 or so). TBH, I don't think I have ever tried them! [Hah!, maybe if I did try them I would eat my words?]

There is a distinct difference between the two units (when each is running to it's optimum), which is of course what you'd expect from the price differential.

Due to that (very large) difference in price, my advice is 'if you cannot afford the deqx, don't sweat it. Just enjoy what you have'.

Kudos for bringing out a low cost high value piece of kit, well done.
Old 28th August 2011, 01:00 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

hello,

i'm very much interested in open baffle speakers with a dsp.

if you stay with a two way speaker the minidsp makes sense,
but in a 3 way speaker it is a expensive (or cheap) as a DCX2496.

i have two question in regard with the minidsp

1) what is the impact of ADC conversion, can you not play music via the usb ? i know the DCX can do that, and i'm mainly interested in doing so.

2)i think the advantage of the DCX over the minidsp is that you can connect a mic to it, and level speaker or room problems. can you do that with the minidsp ?

thanks guys
Old 28th August 2011, 01:10 PM   #15
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I think you are overestimating the DCX2496. Best to study the manual. The DCX has no USB connection and the mic just shows you delay and phase.
Old 28th August 2011, 03:33 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

thanks pano

all of a sudden the minidsp makes much more sense.

but isn't it tricky to not measure the phase difference ? if you have to calculate, it can be hard i suppose ?
Old 29th August 2011, 07:56 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

It definately makes sense to be able to measure (naturally amlitude and phase) your speakers for crossover and room correction development.

Take a look at REW (Room EQ Wizard) which has some sort of interface to miniDSP (it will calculate filter and EQ coefficients that can be used in miniDSP software). Only takes a suitable mic and a reasonable soundcard to do measurements.
Old 2nd September 2011, 10:11 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

thanks curryman,
that's sound interesting.

i just wander what happens with my dac ? i feed my dac with an usb signal, and then it has to get digital again and again analog ? that's quite a hassle. isn't there any better solution ?
thanks guys

(ps: is there a site of topic where somebody explains how he managed a two way open baffle with a minidsp; i wonder what about the volume pot, and the two different amps: how do they progress evenly ? yes i'm only at the beginning of my journey)

thanks again
Old 3rd September 2011, 03:05 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by then_dude View Post
thanks curryman,
that's sound interesting.

i just wander what happens with my dac ? i feed my dac with an usb signal, and then it has to get digital again and again analog ? that's quite a hassle. isn't there any better solution ?
thanks guys

(ps: is there a site of topic where somebody explains how he managed a two way open baffle with a minidsp; i wonder what about the volume pot, and the two different amps: how do they progress evenly ? yes i'm only at the beginning of my journey)

thanks again
No need to convert and then digitize -- the best options are:

(minidigi + minidsp $160)
spdif/toslink --> minidigi --> minidsp --> minisp digital out to drive your dac for fullrange/wideband + internal dac for a woofer or tweeter

OR if you don't have spdif/toslink out:
(ministreamer + minidigi + minidsp $215)
USB --> miniStreamer -->minidigi --> minidsp --> minisp digital out to drive your dac for fullrange/wideband + internal dac for a woofer or tweeter

OR if you need 24/96 and future flexibility you can substitute the 2x8 for the minidigi (adds about $200).
Old 5th September 2011, 05:29 PM   #20
jacko is offline jacko  United States
diyAudio Member

checkout hifizine. he has a couple of articles in integrating multi-way speakers using the minidsp.

Hide this!Advertise here!