Introducing Ambio4YOU: A pocket size Ambiophonics processor - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > miniDSP

miniDSP Low cost, modular Digital Signal Processor (DSP) kits for the DIYer from miniDSP.

Old 3rd November 2010, 12:09 PM   #11
minidsp is offline minidsp  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poldus View Post
I am really excited about the sound I´m getting after toeing out the speakers quite a bit and adding absorption to where they´re aiming at. It is the same as what I got from my physical barrier set-up, which I had not been able to replicate since I moved to electronic crosstalk cancellation.
For those who are ready to try, don´t give up, it may take a lot of experimentation and tweaking but what you get in the end is something much better than what the standard stereo triangle has been offering you.
Very interesting.. We never tried that configuration but now thinking about it! :-) So in the end, speakers aren't aiming at the listener anymore?

interesting stuff.. Keep feeding us with your findings. So much to share to the Ambio Community. If you have some time to share some pics on the Ambio showcase section, it would be much appreciated as well!
Old 29th November 2010, 06:02 PM   #12
poldus is offline poldus  Europe
diyAudio Member

I would like to comment on my findings after a great deal of experimentation with the ambio4you device. Will post pictures as soon as I can borrow a camera again. The speakers are now touching each other (5 degree angle from the listening point?) and facing forward with no toe in or out whatsoever, 10 us delay (shortest available after no delay at all), race attenuation at -10 and cancellation limited to 200-to-6000 hz-range. I had never found this limited range processing satisfying before but, what do you know, that´s how it sounds best to my ears now.
I was not entirely happy with the bigger 20-30º angle. I entertained the idea that the closer the speakers the more solid the center sounds would be, and it does sound a lot better to me this way.
Old 29th November 2010, 07:09 PM   #13
gooki is offline gooki  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Thanks - that was one setup I wished to experiment with as well. Good to know it's worth a shot.
Old 3rd December 2010, 12:50 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

@Poldus,

We'd indeed be interested to hear more about your findings! It's always fun to see when new configurations are discovered.. I wonder if the real advantage in your case isn't just a coupling effect (e.g. line array technology when drivers are less than 1/2 wavelength apart) combined with some ambiophonics theory. Though at 10uS, it does sound very short (more so like 100uS in a 20deg angle).

Anyway, if you get some time, please share with us here and/or on our forum: Ambio4YOU - Ambiophonic DSP | Ambiophonics Showcase - AmbioFORUM

Thanks

DevTeam
Old 3rd December 2010, 01:25 AM   #15
gooki is offline gooki  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

poldus - are you using dipole or monopole speakers?
Old 4th December 2010, 02:37 PM   #16
poldus is offline poldus  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
poldus - are you using dipole or monopole speakers
Monopole, and trying full range cancellation again with 41us delay.
I´ll stop posting for a while until I find a setting that I´m happy with over the long run and not just a couple of days or my posts will be totally useless to anybody.
Old 8th December 2010, 02:10 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Monopole, and trying full range cancellation again with 41us delay.
I´ll stop posting for a while until I find a setting that I´m happy with over the long run and not just a couple of days or my posts will be totally useless to anybody.
FYI, from the investigation we've done in various installations and chats with Ralph Glasgal, we've found that the following default settings may be a bit more optimal than the one currently used in the plug-in:

- Attenuation: -2.7 dB
- Delay: 104uS
- LP and HP for RACE: 90 to 6kHz

Maybe worth a try for those of you still "tweaking" their miniAMBIO... :-)

Have a pleasant Ambio-Experience! :-)
Old 24th December 2010, 03:56 PM   #18
durwood is offline durwood  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
One suggestion: is it possible for you to include features such as the so called center or space parameters available in electro music website´s AmbiophonicDSP´s software implementation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by minidsp View Post

As for your question, we don't know much about what Electromusic is doing (don't think it's open source...) so can't answer that one.
I don't know the exact algorithm electro was using, but my simplistic view on their idea is basically a mid/side adjustment in front of the ambio processing chain. It seems to give similar but perhaps not exact results. Want more center, adjust the mid (L+R), want more ambiance, adjust the side (L-R). In the VST world I was using voxengo's MSED mid/side plugin.

Last edited by durwood; 24th December 2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old 4th March 2013, 10:30 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Default miniAmbio and miniDSP?

Anyone trying the miniDSP and miniAmbio in the same system, not stacked but connected via unbalanced?
If so which comes first?

Hide this!Advertise here!