Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > miniDSP

miniDSP Low cost, modular Digital Signal Processor (DSP) kits for the DIYer from miniDSP.

Old 1st October 2010, 04:31 PM   #1
JZatopa is offline JZatopa  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Is there any way to boost the Vout to 4V?

I am considering using this piece in a car audio environment. My problem is that the car audio environment is very noisy so any peice I use has to be able to put out a decent amount of voltage. Is there any way to mod the miniDSP to increase it's Vout of .9V to 4V? I would possibly even be happy with 2V output but the .9V is simply way to low.
Old 2nd October 2010, 05:12 AM   #2
minidsp is offline minidsp  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Hello,

Using miniDSP balanced (2Vrms output) or miniDSP kit + balanced driver would be I guess the way to go.

In a car environment, pseudo balanced (forward referencing) would actually work better for noise rejection at the input. miniDSP balanced might be a better choice for that reason.

Hoping this makes sense.
Old 2nd October 2010, 06:51 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I am not as worried about noise on the input. I am worried about the low Vout allowing noise to become a factor before the amplifier.

Can the balanced version be used in an unbalanced setup and still put out 2V?
Old 2nd October 2010, 08:04 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I should also add that most car audio amplifiers are designed to accept 2-8V at the input to make full power.
Old 7th October 2010, 02:38 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

There is discussion on these piece going on here.

miniDSP -who has used it. how did it work for you
Old 20th November 2010, 09:13 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

In the balanced minidsp board's documentation there is a mention of running single ended connections. I beleive it shows a diagram of bridging two of the posts with a piece of wire...

I've been looking at using a balanced version of the board as it will allow me to just run passive potentiometers to power amps, no need for pre amp after the board.

Have a look at that.

Jai
Old 21st November 2010, 12:59 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJNUBZ View Post
I am considering using this piece in a car audio environment. My problem is that the car audio environment is very noisy so any peice I use has to be able to put out a decent amount of voltage. Is there any way to mod the miniDSP to increase it's Vout of .9V to 4V? I would possibly even be happy with 2V output but the .9V is simply way to low.
Is that .9V rms or p-p? 0.9 V rms (2.5Vp-p) should be workable.

G

Hide this!Advertise here!