MiniDSP as Linkwitz Orion ASP - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > miniDSP

miniDSP Low cost, modular Digital Signal Processor (DSP) kits for the DIYer from miniDSP.

Old 8th March 2014, 03:11 AM   #101
Adhanda is offline Adhanda  United States
diyAudio Member

My fault. Forgot what forum I was on! Could we see pix of your latest Pluto w/ dims please? No reducer? And of course...how does it sound ? Thanks, Dan
Old 8th March 2014, 05:33 PM   #102
Davey is offline Davey  United States
diyAudio Member

Yeah, no reducer. They sound great.....just like all Pluto's.

Dave.
Old 14th March 2014, 05:33 AM   #103
diyAudio Member

Could someone please explain the Fo of 70.6 and Qo of .55? My calculator says with a Vas = 19 L and Qts=.46 for the Seas you'd need a Vb of 1.56 cu. ft for a Qo of .55 ? Thanks.
Old 14th March 2014, 03:28 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

You're using the wrong numbers for the wrong driver. Fo-70.6 and Qo-0.55 were measured on the original Pluto configuration using the Peerless driver.

Dave.
Old 14th March 2014, 09:38 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

Ha - sorry. I guess there are no numbers using the Seas? Here's a thought from an engineeringly challenged person ... is it correct that any Qtc can be obtained through ASP or DSP means? ...fire when ready. - Dan
Old 15th March 2014, 05:07 AM   #106
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhanda View Post
Ha - sorry. I guess there are no numbers using the Seas? Here's a thought from an engineeringly challenged person ... is it correct that any Qtc can be obtained through ASP or DSP means? ...fire when ready. - Dan
Sure there are numbers for the Seas configuration.

Pluto-2 omni-directional loudspeaker

There is much information on the Linkwitz site regarding the various iterations of the Pluto system. Check it out.

Also the Thor pages are a comprehensive description of a closed-box woofer system design and execution.

THOR - subwoofer

There are numerous texts and online articles regarding electronic equalization and its ability to modify woofer system parameters such as Qtc. The answer to your question is "yes"....within reason. There are real-world physical characteristics that ultimately limit all systems.

Cheers,

Dave.
Old 1st May 2014, 04:51 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

I'm now using my Orion's with the MiniDSP for some time now. Its working fine and the only thing I'm working on still is adjsting the volume.

Although I've bought the FP-VOL, using it is not that user friendly. I'm therefor designing an 8 channel Up controlled analog volume control with a 0.02dB deviation.
Old 7th July 2014, 12:17 AM   #108
diyAudio Member

I would be interested to know more about this volume control you're designing.

What do you mean by "up" controlled?

Will it be 8 channels of balanced volume or single ended?
Old 7th July 2014, 10:51 AM   #109
diyAudio Member

Ideally I would like to use a PIC to control the volume. It can be either single ended or ballanced. The number og channels can be extended.

Who would want to work with me to program the PIC?

The Idea is to use 16 datalines for Volume contol, 4 datalinen for input selection, 1 dataline for remote input, 2 datalines for volume digital pot, 2 datalines for input selection pot and setup.

When someone is really in the mood I would like a WEB interface as well to control input and volume.

Anyone who can/will help me with this?
Old 7th July 2014, 12:00 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Personally i think volume control is a key issue with the miniDSP kit. I have spent too much time thinking about it! There are more options now with digital in/out boards (nanoDIGI / miniSHARC).

I'm not a great fan of their volume implementation (VOL-FP), it could be better if they updated the software i think. At the moment the manual rotary requires too many turns and isn't practical. There is always the concern that there is a malfunction or, more likely, power outage (or accidental switch off) which can generate a loud pop in an active speaker scenario. I'm always a bit nervous about having the vol control there.

Excellent and value for money as the miniDSP is, the analogue stages aren't low on noise (not bad, but not great, depends on a number of factors....in my experience). Makes sense therefore to max the SNR from the miniDSP and feed that into high quality volume control.

That's why personally i would be interested to see a high quality implementation of an 8-channel balanced (remote) volume control situated after the miniDSP, with protection muting. I think it could sell well.

Hide this!Advertise here!