MiniDSP as Linkwitz Orion ASP - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > miniDSP

miniDSP Low cost, modular Digital Signal Processor (DSP) kits for the DIYer from miniDSP.

Old 25th November 2012, 09:16 PM   #91
SAC is offline SAC  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Dave, thanks for the pointers.

My intention is to replace my PLLXO with the Minidsp.
Old 10th March 2013, 08:18 AM   #92
diyAudio Member

Hi!
Is there anyone that could paste the formula for the original Linkwitz Thor´s`. I would realy appreciate that
Old 12th March 2013, 10:59 PM   #93
Davey is online now Davey  United States
diyAudio Member

The formula?

The required EQ is listed on the Thor page of SL's website:

Subwoofer equalization

It's two shelving filters 16-48 (10db) and 6.4-28 (13db.)
Both can be programmed into a miniDSP "basic" plugin. Advanced bi-quad programming is not required.

Cheers,

Dave.
Old 9th April 2013, 11:53 AM   #94
diyAudio Member

Hi Davey, congratulation for the acceptance of your MiniDSP config as LinkwitzLab DSP challenge !

I wonder if official Orion DSP is on the card
Old 2nd May 2013, 02:34 PM   #95
diyAudio Member

Hi Davey

Could you post the XML file you use?

Thanks,
Marcel.
Old 2nd May 2013, 05:35 PM   #96
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarasque View Post
Hi Davey

Could you post the XML file you use?

Thanks,
Marcel.
No. The file(s) is proprietary information.

Terms & Conditions

Cheers,

Dave.
Old 27th February 2014, 01:44 AM   #97
Adhanda is offline Adhanda  United States
diyAudio Member

Default tweeter delay vs. allpass in Pluto

Why did you use delay instead of an allpass? What's the downside of doing this? If you want delay, couldn't you simply move the tweeter back?
Old 1st March 2014, 06:10 AM   #98
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhanda View Post
Why did you use delay instead of an allpass? What's the downside of doing this? If you want delay, couldn't you simply move the tweeter back?
An all-pass filter creates a frequency-dependent delay....with analog circuitry. Since the miniDSP units have pure delay capability an all-pass circuit is no longer necessary and neither is physically moving the tweeter back. Physically moving the tweeter might create a stepped baffle which might cause diffractions and/or reflections that are not an issue with a flat baffle.

Cheers,

Dave.
Old 7th March 2014, 03:51 AM   #99
Adhanda is offline Adhanda  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your reply Davey. I am a 70 y.o "newbie", not an engineer, but my experience as a professional brass musician gives me some intuitive insight into the nature of the sound one might expect from this system, IMO of course. So what I did glean from your answer is that both all-pass and pure delays are simply rough approximations attempting to compensate for what's actually going on between the drivers around the crossover point, with lesser degree of accuracy away from it, as more complex modeling of this "unique" geometry would require much more complex filtering, yes? Which, in a way, is greatly relieving, since I can now therefore simply implement the delay Behringer instead of tediously having to delve into exhaustive MiniDSP all-pass bi-quad equations, again yes?

Although I did not understand your comment about creating a stepped baffle, but take your word that the tweeter has to be where it is, this does not answer the question of what the effects of that obtrusive ( read "ugly") pipe sitting directly in front of the woofer are ( and how one filters THAT !), but that's another story...

So anyway, I was just about to head over to FlexPVC to order the required parts when I decided to do a few more calcs. Lo and behold, what to my disappointment did I notice, was, that with the Fernco coupler, the space between the coupler and the woofer's magnetic assembly at the narrowest point is less than 5/16"!! So in essence this is saying that, yes, all the bass that is supposed to fill my rather large L.R. has to get squeezed through this tiny 5/16" gap. (!!!) Doesn't anybody have a problem with this ??? Frankly, I am surprised that nobody has brought this up before. Do you think this won't have an adverse affect on the openness of the bass? So, as I said, I am not an engineer, but my first thoughts were, hey why not do away with this constriction entirely by simply making the whole bass pipe out of a straight 5" (or 6" ! ) pipe!! OK, so, as I now realize, although this might be a good solution for an ideal driver, it would seriously unload the Seas driver, which now would tend to flop in the breeze, yes? But never the less, I'd sure like to see more "breathing room" between the woofer and the coupler, if at all possibleas, I can almost hear the "chuffing" going on and can only wonder how better it would sound with less constriction in this critical area. Thanks, & nice to know you guys are out there,

Dan
Old 7th March 2014, 04:59 PM   #100
diyAudio Member

Dan,

Sorry about that, I missed your note that you were referring to the Pluto and not the Orion.

The issue with clearance between magnet assembly and woofer tube has been brought up many times. There's even a notation in the Pluto Construction Plans to verify you have sufficient clearance. Remember, this is a sealed box, so it's not like you have a significant volume of air traveling back and forth in that gap all the time.
You could certainly use larger pipe for your enclosure, but the mounting "baffle" area should remain small for optimum response. I used 6" pipe for my latest Pluto's and with a flat profile cap installed there is approximately 0.25" around the Seas woofer. (That's maximum IMO.)
The larger volume will not "seriously unload" the Seas driver and make it flop in the breeze. The stock equalization will still work effectively but a change to fine-tune would be preferable.

The tweeter tube location above the woofer is part of the design to "deflect" woofer radiation for improved polar response and better blend with the transition to the tweeter. No filtering for THAT is necessary. There were some minor diffraction effects noted with the Pluto 1 but these were addressed with a change in geometry in the Pluto 2 configuration.

Cheers,

Dave.

Hide this!Advertise here!