Introducing miniStreamer: Native 24/96 USB to I2S / SPDIF interface - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > miniDSP

miniDSP Low cost, modular Digital Signal Processor (DSP) kits for the DIYer from miniDSP.

Old 31st July 2011, 09:04 AM   #31
JensH is offline JensH  Denmark
diyAudio Member

@tresch

Yes, in principle it could be. I asked the developer of the analyzer SW and he claims that everything inside the program is done in floating point, so it should be OK. Does something happen at the interface between the analyzer and Windows XP? Perhaps.

In the near future I will test the analyzer SW although it will now be on a Win7 PC that I have just changed to as my work PC. I have installed an internal Terratec sound card which supports 24bit analog as well as SPDIF I/O. I have installed the sound card primarily because the internal sound card can work as a slave on the SPDIF input.
But of course things could be different on Win7 in general.

@i2k92
Your connections look OK to me. Be aware that there is only one GND pin on the ministreamer connector. When I hooked it up initially there was a lot of noise (crosstalk) on the digital interface. Actually it was so bad that it did not work reliably.
I used an IDC connector and a flat cable, with only one GND wire connected initially. At the other end (my own design) I also used an IDC connector, but with GND on every second pin. I then connected the GND wires in the flat cable together at the ministreamer end and connected all of them to the GND of the ministreamer. Then it worked. Finally I made a small PCB with a female connector for the ministreamer and two male connectors for the IDC connectors (one for ADC and one for DAC). This improves the GND connection a lot and has worked fine since. Except for the resolution problem described above of course.
Old 22nd September 2011, 01:33 PM   #32
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Can the ministreamer be used to output 5.1 to the S/PDIF?
Old 23rd September 2011, 09:58 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensH View Post
I know that -90dBFS is low, but with a 24 bit converter there should still be a fairly good resolution. Disregarding the noise for a moment, it should be possible to get e.g. a sine wave with a 9 bit resolution with a signal level of -90dBFS.
Have you tried Teralink X2 ASIO driver (same chipset, don't know if they work for ministreamer too: http://www.ab-system.hk/USB/TeraLink...a_20100915.zip ). How do you set on the 24 bit mode with Windows drivers? There's limitation with 24/96 format, then only 24/96 input or output is supported because of 12MBPS limit, other in/outputs must be 16-bit / 48 kHz.
http://www.gfec.com.tw/word_file/TE7022PB-v14.pdf
Old 5th October 2011, 03:48 PM   #34
JensH is offline JensH  Denmark
diyAudio Member

@mhelin
No, I have not tried the driver you are suggesting.

In the meantime I have changed to an internal sound card with SPDIF and it now works fine.
Initially I used an old Terratec EWX2496. It worked fine under Win XP, but was not running reliably when I changed the PC and changed to Win 7. I had to use some Vista beta drivers, which were not reliable and could sometimes cause a BSOD.

I now have an M-Audio Delta 1010LT which works fine under Win 7 using SPDIF I/O.
Old 30th October 2011, 11:59 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Are there any reviews of the miniStreamer on MAC? I haven't found them yet.
(I like the option of going directly out to my TDA1541 board via I2S.)

I am thinking on the following issue:
- Some Tenor 7022L implementations are a-synch; I see this miniStreamer device is iso-synch. So the unit does not control the source rate; this could, if I see it correctly, lead to slight frequency incompatibility, i.e. drop outs.

Should a Jitter reduction be inserted after this unit on the SPDIF line?
thanks
albert
Old 13th January 2012, 07:02 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Hi. This looks like a great product! Especially since it is the only device I've discovered that addresses this conversion directly, without extra features. Would you please post about the latency of the Ministreamer. I record at home and am concerned with this aspect. I couldn't find reference to this in your literature or am unable to decipher it from the contents.

Thank you!
Old 5th January 2014, 04:50 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

I have a 2x8 with Digi-FP, with optical coming straight from a mac mini.

Would there be any benefit to using the miniStreamer?

Thanks in advance.
Old 5th January 2014, 09:08 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

The miniStreamer would have to be connected via S/PDIF coaxial cable, which is the same signal as the S/PDIF TOSLINK [optical] your already using. Optical supposedly exhibits higher jitter, but if that difference is audible ?!

Paul
Old 5th January 2014, 09:41 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

I was under the impression the miniDSPusb products would take a usb signal from the computer and route it direct to the miniDSP.
Old 5th January 2014, 11:00 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Nope, the miniDSP units aren't properly set-up to allow easy plug & play I2S connection from their USB modules, miniStreamer or USBStreamer. It can be done but it's problematic and you'd be limited to only using the Sample Rate of the plug-in [96KHz for the 2x8].

MiniDSP recommends using the S/PDIF connection on both their USB modules. So you need to think of them more as a USB to S/PDIF converter.

Hope that helps

Paul.

Last edited by BuildMeSomething; 5th January 2014 at 11:04 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!