Introducing miniStreamer: Native 24/96 USB to I2S / SPDIF interface - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > miniDSP

miniDSP Low cost, modular Digital Signal Processor (DSP) kits for the DIYer from miniDSP.

Old 17th November 2010, 04:04 PM   #11
SunRa is offline SunRa  Romania
diyAudio Member

I looked at the spreadsheet ant it states it is isochronous. Still, it would be great clarifying the slave/master option.
Old 19th November 2010, 03:05 AM   #12
ttan98 is online now ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I mean to purchase MiniDSP and MiniDigi but did not a get around to it as yet. Now the Ministreamer is available I may not have to buy the MiniDigi.

After reading the Ministreamer manual, it provides either USB OR SPDIF input and also an SPDIF output, this is what I need. So how do you interface the MInistreamer to MiniDSP via I2S right, how is this being achieve, stack one on top of the other? Now that I a have a Ministreamer I don't need a Minidigi which only accepts SPDIF, right.

Your response please.
Old 19th November 2010, 11:15 AM   #13
ttan98 is online now ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttan98 View Post
Hi,

I mean to purchase MiniDSP and MiniDigi but did not a get around to it as yet. Now the Ministreamer is available I may not have to buy the MiniDigi.

After reading the Ministreamer manual, it provides either USB OR SPDIF input and also an SPDIF output, this is what I need. So how do you interface the MInistreamer to MiniDSP via I2S right, how is this being achieve, stack one on top of the other? Now that I a have a Ministreamer I don't need a Minidigi which only accepts SPDIF, right.

Your response please.
No one answesr my query here, after reading your answer at the ministream forum, I think this is now it works, I still need the Minidigi, This is how the ministreamer(MS) works, PC out goes into USB port on MS and then SPDIF out on MS goes into SPDIF in on Minidigi which is connected to MiniDSP, right. Please confirm. The MS manual is a little confusing.
Old 22nd November 2010, 06:48 AM   #14
minidsp is offline minidsp  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunRa View Post
I was just wondering, what slave/master jumper means? That is it capable of asynchronous operation, or...?
Device is as per described in the datasheet an isochronous USB interface. So no asynchronous operation. The MCLK is always an output and I2S should be in sync with the MCLK.

Hope this answers your question.
Old 22nd November 2010, 06:54 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttan98 View Post
No one answesr my query here, after reading your answer at the ministream forum, I think this is now it works, I still need the Minidigi, This is how the ministreamer(MS) works, PC out goes into USB port on MS and then SPDIF out on MS goes into SPDIF in on Minidigi which is connected to MiniDSP, right. Please confirm. The MS manual is a little confusing.
Including the miniDIGI in your system will indeed allow the system to utilize the very good ASRC on the miniDIGI to remove the jitter and allow any type of signal to be played back on the ministreamer.
If you go the route of ministreamer straight into the miniDSP, you will have to rely on the Windows driver to perform the task of making sure it's outputting 48kHz at all times (miniDSP must get 48kHz). Finally, in the case you're getting confused about the basic concepts of I2S, better go the path of adding the miniDIGI since it will really be a plug&play.

Hope this answers your questions.

PS: Please allow at least 24-48h to answer post.. not getting an answer within an 8h delay is what I'd call normal by most standards of any companies out there... We try our best to answer question but realize that you're not alone asking them..
Old 22nd November 2010, 08:41 AM   #16
anbello is offline anbello  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minidsp View Post
Device is as per described in the datasheet an isochronous USB interface. So no asynchronous operation. The MCLK is always an output and I2S should be in sync with the MCLK.

Hope this answers your question.
Isochronous is one of the transfer mode for USB interface (the other are Control, Interrupt, Bulk). Asynchronous, Synchronous and Adaptive are the synchronization mode for the Isochronous transfer mode.

Ciao
Andrea
Old 8th December 2010, 02:51 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to dvb projekt
Hi,

i use in my DAC project only I2S input. How is the priority between the USB and SPDIF input?

I think the ministreamer will switch both inputs automatically, because a saw no switch on the pcb.

BTW, could you post a picture from top of the pcb?

Regards,
Oliver
Old 10th December 2010, 01:11 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvb-projekt View Post
Hi,

i use in my DAC project only I2S input. How is the priority between the USB and SPDIF input?

I think the ministreamer will switch both inputs automatically, because a saw no switch on the pcb.

BTW, could you post a picture from top of the pcb?

Regards,
Oliver
Oliver,

Ok, I'm not sure I get it right, but I think that there some confusion.
miniStreamer is only USB to SPDIF/I2S (playback) and/or SPDIF/I2S to USB. It's basically like a sound card.

In what you're saying, it seems to imply that you're trying to get the miniStreamer to toggle between USB to I2S and/or SPDIF to I2S. That's just not going to happen.

Think of miniStreamer as a sound card. It has a USB side (going to a PC and creating a sound card in your PC) and a interface side (SPDIF or I2S) going to your external circuit.

AS for the pic, have a look at the user manual. It's quite a clear pic to us. :-)

Hope this clarifies.
Old 15th April 2011, 05:00 AM   #19
zog666 is online now zog666  Australia
diyAudio Member

just a FYI: the miniSTREAMER works fine with Linux, I'm using it with Ubuntu 10.04 with the pulsaudio service, at least for playback.

I've only used it at 44100 hz 16 bit though, haven't tried any higher rates (or researched yet how to set it to higher rates).
Old 18th April 2011, 05:16 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zog666 View Post
just a FYI: the miniSTREAMER works fine with Linux, I'm using it with Ubuntu 10.04 with the pulsaudio service, at least for playback.

I've only used it at 44100 hz 16 bit though, haven't tried any higher rates (or researched yet how to set it to higher rates).
Great info, thanks for the follow up. If you have any additional info to share on how you set it up, it will be useful info for the community.

Thanks for sharing the info again,

DevTeam

Hide this!Advertise here!