Question: Kits for 4-way system - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > miniDSP

miniDSP Low cost, modular Digital Signal Processor (DSP) kits for the DIYer from miniDSP.

Old 26th July 2010, 08:26 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb Question: Kits for 4-way system

Hello,

I am building a speaker system, it expected to be like - main.jpg (this model was created in 3dmax)
I use 8-channel amplifier with a maximum input voltage ie 0.775 in amplitude.
I want to use your kits and I want to ask: what exactly do I need to buy: some kits and plug-ins for them? What kind? Can fully describe what I need do? How to connect etc; In order to ensure the separation of the 4-way stereo. The sound source - computer, with analog output and/or digital (not yet determined)

sorry for bad English.
Old 27th July 2010, 01:05 AM   #2
minidsp is offline minidsp  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Hello,

Building a 4 way speaker with miniDSP kit really isn't complex. Have you had a look at this application note on our website? (MiniDSP - Stereo 3/4 way Crossover)
If you haven't it should be your first step to understand what's required.

2 options:
- Analog input, analog input will require 2 x miniDSP kits, 1x4way plug-in
- Digital input, analog output will require 2 x miniDSP kits, 2 miniDIGI, 1 x 4 way plug-in.

Hope this makes sense.
Old 27th July 2010, 09:59 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yes, I read about Stereo 3/4 way Crossover, but not all FAQ.
And I have one more question: what happens if for example my pc freeze or some problem with electricity - it's just shut down? What will be with tweeter? What is the probability that signal go a full range without filter to driver? Also for midrange this may affect too. Other drivers "don't care" for full signal

And also one more question: I read article "Can I control mulitple kits concurrently?", so for my 4-way stereo I need two kits and one plugin and set options for both: left and right channel. There will be options like delay, eq and it must be same. So can config it and then use this config file to load to another channel?
Old 28th July 2010, 12:46 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkamikaze View Post
What is the probability that signal go a full range without filter to driver?
Signal to go full range without a filter isn't going to happen so no need to worry.

Quote:
And also one more question: I read article "Can I control mulitple kits concurrently?", so for my 4-way stereo I need two kits and one plugin and set options for both: left and right channel. There will be options like delay, eq and it must be same. So can config it and then use this config file to load to another channel?
Yes, that's correct. What users actually realize is that it's even simpler than this step.
1) Configure the plug-in for correct filters
2) Connect to one board and synchronize
3) Once the live tuning (real time tuning of the audio) is done, simply disconnect the usb
4) the user interface of the plug-in is already setup with the last settings you had with the other speaker, so simply connect to next plug-in, press synchronize and you'll just mirror these settings to the next speaker.
That's it...

End users actually realize that tuning is simpler than it seems thanks to the design of the UI.

Hope this makes sense.
Old 28th July 2010, 11:17 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Ic, thanks for answers. I think in some short time I will buy your product.
Old 28th July 2010, 11:24 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

...hm I want to see how much will cost shipping, but I can't select any shipping method.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 28th July 2010, 10:37 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

And one more questions
If I have 4-way system, so I will need config: delay, to fit acoustic center of the each driver, then "kill" room modes and change volume for some drivers, cause of different sensitivity(89db sub, 90-mid, 92-tweeter)
So, what plugin will be better for me:
- 4Way Advanced
- 4Way crossover plug-in
- 4Way PEQ plug-in
And also - filters are linear phase now?
Old 31st July 2010, 02:18 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkamikaze View Post
And one more questions
If I have 4-way system, so I will need config: delay, to fit acoustic center of the each driver, then "kill" room modes and change volume for some drivers, cause of different sensitivity(89db sub, 90-mid, 92-tweeter)
So, what plugin will be better for me:
- 4Way Advanced
- 4Way crossover plug-in
- 4Way PEQ plug-in
And also - filters are linear phase now?
We'd advise to go for 4way PEQ or Advanced. Although some users like graphic EQ (easier for them to use maybe), we don't believe that it's the right way to EQ a loudspeaker. Since Advanced has all the same processing as PEQ, just with the capabilities to input a curve, you may consider 4 way advanced instead.

As for the filter, they are all IIR filters as per the description in the datasheet.
Old 31st July 2010, 10:50 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thank you for recommendations. Well, I'm don't want EQ a loudspeaker, but baffle or room do self job ) and I need do some fix with frequency response.

So, linear phase, but could you please show where this indicated in datasheet? And also what about question about shipping, post #6
Old 31st July 2010, 03:19 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

q: And how to control volume using potentiometer fot both kits at same time? What kind potentiometer do you recommends?

q: I'm I right with connection(for clarify):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Безымянный.jpg (273.8 KB, 197 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!