Question: Kits for 4-way system - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > miniDSP

miniDSP Low cost, modular Digital Signal Processor (DSP) kits for the DIYer from miniDSP.

Old 16th September 2010, 05:59 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

"One or multiple miniDSP boards can be connected
to a single potentiometer for master volume control of multiple channels." (User Manual, p.11)

I've got it as one board could drive the volume of the multiple boards...
Old 16th September 2010, 07:23 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minidsp View Post
Simple: Just connect the center tap of the potentiometer (see manual diagram) to pin 12 of both miniDSP. You also need to connect ground (Pin 6) to both miniDSP.

That's it.
Please diagram it, it's not so hard I think. In manual diagram not so clear, I want to see example with two, like: left channel and right and connection of potentiometer. Also maybe better to use stereo potentiometer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitrydn View Post
"One or multiple miniDSP boards can be connected
to a single potentiometer for master volume control of multiple channels." (User Manual, p.11)

I've got it as one board could drive the volume of the multiple boards...
Magic ? Potentiometer must be wired to both as minidsp says.

Last edited by bobkamikaze; 16th September 2010 at 07:25 AM. Reason: add some stuff
Old 18th September 2010, 06:14 AM   #23
minidsp is offline minidsp  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Mmmmh, there must be some "lost in translation" here to ask us for a diagram for such a simple statement.. Anyway, see updated user manual. I'm afraid that I don't see how we can make this clearer....

In the end, your statements are quite confusing since it seems like you're looking for a Left & Right volume control (one pot for one board, another pot for the other kit). So maybe you don't even need this diagram....

- If you want 2 levels control, you need 2 independent pots connected.
- If you want one level control (master volume) for 2 boards, you need one pot.

It's digital volume control on the DSP, so the analog thinking you're using doesn't apply.

Hope this makes sense.
Old 18th September 2010, 02:55 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Mmmmh, there must be some "lost in translation" here to ask us for a diagram for such a simple statement.. Anyway, see updated user manual. I'm afraid that I don't see how we can make this clearer....
Perhaps. Just give more examples of connection.
As per your new comments in manual I must connect pot. in such way as in attachments.

Quote:
- If you want one level control (master volume) for 2 boards, you need one pot.
Yes, master volume.

Quote:
It's digital volume control on the DSP, so the analog thinking you're using doesn't apply.
What u mean? Please explain.
Attached Images
File Type: png Безымянный.png (12.6 KB, 80 views)
Old 24th September 2010, 09:13 AM   #25
minidsp is offline minidsp  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

By digital volume control, I imply that it's simply a signal between 0 to 3.3V (depending on Pot position) being sampled by the ADC on the board and affecting digitally the Digital Signal Processor.

It's not like analog audio where you'd actually be attenuating the analog signal directly....

Anyway, without confusing you too much with new concepts: a single analog pot for 2 boards (master volume control) is all you need.

Hope this makes more sense now.
Old 24th September 2010, 09:35 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Ic, thank you for answer. So analog volume control for my system will be very complicated ) control 8 channels at a time.

p.s.: my system in progress: ImageShack Album - 26 images
I'm too busy to complete it so far, but later maybe u can find some review on your forum.

Hide this!Advertise here!