Question: Kits for 4-way system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I am building a speaker system, it expected to be like - main.jpg (this model was created in 3dmax)
I use 8-channel amplifier with a maximum input voltage ie 0.775 in amplitude.
I want to use your kits and I want to ask: what exactly do I need to buy: some kits and plug-ins for them? What kind? Can fully describe what I need do? How to connect etc; In order to ensure the separation of the 4-way stereo. The sound source - computer, with analog output and/or digital (not yet determined)

sorry for bad English.

Hello,

Building a 4 way speaker with miniDSP kit really isn't complex. Have you had a look at this application note on our website? (MiniDSP - Stereo 3/4 way Crossover)
If you haven't it should be your first step to understand what's required.

2 options:
- Analog input, analog input will require 2 x miniDSP kits, 1x4way plug-in
- Digital input, analog output will require 2 x miniDSP kits, 2 miniDIGI, 1 x 4 way plug-in.

Hope this makes sense.

Yes, I read about Stereo 3/4 way Crossover, but not all FAQ.
And I have one more question: what happens if for example my pc freeze or some problem with electricity - it's just shut down? What will be with tweeter? What is the probability that signal go a full range without filter to driver? Also for midrange this may affect too. Other drivers "don't care" for full signal :)

And also one more question: I read article "Can I control mulitple kits concurrently?", so for my 4-way stereo I need two kits and one plugin and set options for both: left and right channel. There will be options like delay, eq and it must be same. So can config it and then use this config file to load to another channel?

What is the probability that signal go a full range without filter to driver?
Signal to go full range without a filter isn't going to happen so no need to worry.

And also one more question: I read article "Can I control mulitple kits concurrently?", so for my 4-way stereo I need two kits and one plugin and set options for both: left and right channel. There will be options like delay, eq and it must be same. So can config it and then use this config file to load to another channel?
Yes, that's correct. What users actually realize is that it's even simpler than this step.
1) Configure the plug-in for correct filters
2) Connect to one board and synchronize
3) Once the live tuning (real time tuning of the audio) is done, simply disconnect the usb
4) the user interface of the plug-in is already setup with the last settings you had with the other speaker, so simply connect to next plug-in, press synchronize and you'll just mirror these settings to the next speaker.
That's it...

End users actually realize that tuning is simpler than it seems thanks to the design of the UI.

Hope this makes sense.

And one more questions :)
If I have 4-way system, so I will need config: delay, to fit acoustic center of the each driver, then "kill" room modes and change volume for some drivers, cause of different sensitivity(89db sub, 90-mid, 92-tweeter)
So, what plugin will be better for me:
- 4Way Advanced
- 4Way crossover plug-in
- 4Way PEQ plug-in
And also - filters are linear phase now?

And one more questions :)
If I have 4-way system, so I will need config: delay, to fit acoustic center of the each driver, then "kill" room modes and change volume for some drivers, cause of different sensitivity(89db sub, 90-mid, 92-tweeter)
So, what plugin will be better for me:
- 4Way Advanced
- 4Way crossover plug-in
- 4Way PEQ plug-in
And also - filters are linear phase now?

We'd advise to go for 4way PEQ or Advanced. Although some users like graphic EQ (easier for them to use maybe), we don't believe that it's the right way to EQ a loudspeaker. Since Advanced has all the same processing as PEQ, just with the capabilities to input a curve, you may consider 4 way advanced instead.

As for the filter, they are all IIR filters as per the description in the datasheet.

Thank you for recommendations. Well, I'm don't want EQ a loudspeaker, but baffle or room do self job :)) and I need do some fix with frequency response.

So, linear phase, but could you please show where this indicated in datasheet? And also what about question about shipping, post #6

q: And how to control volume using potentiometer fot both kits at same time? What kind potentiometer do you recommends?

q: I'm I right with connection(for clarify):

Attachments

• БезымÑ�нный.jpg
    Безым�нный.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 255
In answer to your question:

- " linear phase, could you please show where this indicated in datasheet?"

Answer: filters are not linear phase. FIR would be the required implementation. (not the case here). FYI that very rarely will you find a linear phase implementation as a crossover. miniDSP is no different to 80% of products out there.
- Shipping cost question was I thought answered in an email separately (or maybe gotten you confused with somebody else from Latvia as well ?? :) Your country was added to shopping cart. please try again.

-And how to control volume using potentiometer fot both kits at same
time? What kind potentiometer do you recommends?

Answer: Please read miniDSP manual p11. Question already answered.
You can indeed control 2 boards.

- As for your diagram. Yes, it's correct though you only need one connection to one RCA on each side (no need to double up to both RCA for each board.)

Answer: filters are not linear phase. FIR would be the required implementation. (not the case here). FYI that very rarely will you find a linear phase implementation as a crossover. miniDSP is no different to 80% of products out there.
Yes, but I want create liner-phase system, it also can be called - minimal phase system. FIR will be very useful, do you plan to implement it? Most my friends want this and also they want more than 56bit... so for now they using passive in their systems. For example one of my friend, this him project - Cyclop, He interest in your kits, but with FIR and 192bit... and I'm too :)

- Shipping cost question was I thought answered in an email separately (or maybe gotten you confused with somebody else from Latvia as well ?? :) Your country was added to shopping cart. please try again.
Not work for me.

- As for your diagram. Yes, it's correct though you only need one connection to one RCA on each side (no need to double up to both RCA for each board.)
Thanks

Today I received minidsp kits and again I have some questions, clarifications :)

So regarding this diagram. I want to build stereo 4-way system
attachment.php

1. Both jumpers must be set to master? or one master, other slave.
2. If both kits connected to PC, I can't I control them together in one time?
3. If I'm not planing use external DC, just USB cable and I want to change some options in filter(for example LR24 to BW24), and I have connected to PC two kits. First what I need to do - disconnect first and synchronize second, then connect first with disconnected second?

I just want to be sure in all this. Maybe if you've added to the documentation some diagrams and examples, so there would be no such issues and questions. I'm afraid to connect something in wrong way, the board is not so cheap. :)

p.s. kits arrived to me very quickly, in 4 days.:up:

Hi,

1. Both jumpers must be set to master? or one master, other slave.
Not sure what you mean since there are different Master/Slave. I'm guessing that you have 2 miniDSP, then both units are completely independent (not stacked) so both units should have the Master jumper on. (default/don't change anything!)

2. If both kits connected to PC, I can't I control them together in one time?
Yes that's correct. This is explained in the user manual. You can only control one at a time.

3. If I'm not planing use external DC, just USB cable and I want to change some options in filter(for example LR24 to BW24), and I have connected to PC two kits. First what I need to do - disconnect first and synchronize second, then connect first with disconnected second?
Don't complicate things too much.. it's really simple. You open your software, plug one USB to one board, synchronize and you're live to edit settings. Once you're done tuning one speaker, in 98% of cases, you will want to apply the exact same settings to the other board (unless your speaker is not the same, then you'd had greater design issues I guess). So you disconnect from the first board, plug to the second, click sync and it will flash the second board with the settings. That's it...

Please read the manual carefully and you'll see that it's really simple. You're not going to break anything...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.