miniDigital Spdif/Toslink + SRC I/O card - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > miniDSP

miniDSP Low cost, modular Digital Signal Processor (DSP) kits for the DIYer from miniDSP.

Old 23rd February 2010, 10:58 AM   #11
minidsp is offline minidsp  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonkan View Post
Quick question.

Would it be possible to configure one minidsp card + one digital io card like this:

spdif input to dsp card. Dsp card is then used as 2way stereo crossover. Then spdif output goes to external dac feeding my tops, and the analog outputs on the minidsp feeds the subs?

To clarify: can I use the digital out as one output, and one pair of the analog outputs in a stereo crossover configuration?

Also: Would it be possible to feed an i2s compatible DAC for one of the output pairs in a 2way stereo crossover config, and use the spdif output for the subs?

(In case i get another dac someday and want to use both).

I hope im not to vague with these questions, english is definately not my native toungue.

/jonas
Jonas,

Your description is perfectly clear and makes complete sense.

The answer is yes, you will indeed be able to feed un-filtered analog audio from the analog audio inputs to the SDPIF output thanks to our very flexible I2S routing. We'll be working on the manual and datasheet this week, so this will make more sense to you.

One little concern in this "mixed configuration" is the fact that the DAC will need to be "time aligned" to the DSP. In other words, you will need to make sure that audio is time aligned between the analog outputs from miniDSP and analog outputs from your DAC. It maybe that you simply have to tweak the delay to get them time aligned properly.
Do you understand what I mean? I'll dig our end to end delay with the stereo Xover (analog input to digital input) to figure out if that will be an issue. In the mean time, do some homework on your side to figure out the end to end delay (Digital in - > Analog out) of your DAC.

Will follow up once I have the information you need.

Hope this clarifies your questions,

Tony
Old 1st March 2010, 11:36 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

FYI, miniDIGI and miniAMP datasheets are now available for download from the following section of our website. User manuals for both products to come out in the next few days when boards are released from manufacturing.

May the Audio-Lego fun begin! :-)

miniDSP Dev Team
Old 4th March 2010, 11:52 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

After few days of burn-in and intense test on our new manufacturing batch, miniDIGI boards are now shipping! :-)

Check out the following links for more info:
MiniDSP - I/O cards
Webstore

Let us know if you have any questions!

miniDSP DevTeam
Old 4th March 2010, 11:56 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

To Andreas & Jonas,

Just a follow up to let you know that no, I haven't forgotten about you! :-)
We've just been extremely busy with testing, new plug-in release so haven't had a chance to test your configurations. I'll get on it in the next few days and get back to you.

Sorry for the delay.

Tony
Old 9th March 2010, 08:41 AM   #15
Andreas is offline Andreas  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hi Tony

No worry -- I am eagerly looking forward to see if my configuration is possible. It would enable direct connection of my squeezebox to the minidsp as well as still using the good old analog preamp with my turntable and other analog sources.

Regards
Andreas
Old 9th March 2010, 09:18 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
Hi Tony

No worry -- I am eagerly looking forward to see if my configuration is possible. It would enable direct connection of my squeezebox to the minidsp as well as still using the good old analog preamp with my turntable and other analog sources.

Regards
Andreas
Andreas,

Your configuration has been tested and it works fine. Here is how you would do it:
- Configure the miniDSP plug-in to I2S digital input source
- Use a 2 pole switch on the I2S routing header of the miniDIGI, for the I2S_Data_In_ch7&8 (Digital input channel to the plug-in) to toggle between the I2S feed from the SRC and the Un-processed signal from ADC on I2S_Data_Out5/6.
Besides an expected level change between these two sources, it worked like a charm.

Please have a look at our newly released miniDIGI user manual for more information.

Hope this info helps
Old 12th March 2010, 11:59 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Hi Tony

I I understand correctly, this still leaves the digital out unaffected, so it can be used to daisy chain to another minidsp/minidigi set of boards ?

/andreas
Old 13th March 2010, 01:19 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
Hi Tony

I I understand correctly, this still leaves the digital out unaffected, so it can be used to daisy chain to another minidsp/minidigi set of boards ?

/andreas
Yes Andreas that's correct. By routing the I2S data correctly, you will be able to send the "un-processed" audio to another board via the SPDIF out.

Please have a look at the miniDIGI user manual for more information. This exact configuration is explained in detail, along with the correct jumper configuration required.

Hope this makes sense.
Old 13th March 2010, 06:17 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Hi

Makes completely sense. Looking forward to trying it out.

Regards
Andreas

Hide this!Advertise here!