miniDSP kits, our answers to your technical questions - Page 44 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > miniDSP

miniDSP Low cost, modular Digital Signal Processor (DSP) kits for the DIYer from miniDSP.

Old 25th February 2013, 09:12 PM   #431
diyAudio Member

DONE EVER SAY IT CANT BE HEARD.. I can hear a 40khz ultrasonic welder running!..makes my damn teeth hurt when I walk into the welding room.IF any one welder is running..I'm not getting into audible bs on audio..
I got a 12 yr old with better hearing an musical pitch than anybody on this forum. He can hear the difference when I attenuate digital levels in the dcx below about 10 db

and I know how to do digital math..that was my whole point they are using a 28 bit processor.. so how do they do the processing and volume control?

MY laptop does its signal processing in 32 or 64 bit depending on which laptop I use and send the digital out 24 96 read about jriver or foobar

I'm saying if you are using 32 bit processing 28 bit or whatever.. you have to add 0's to then end of the bit chain!!!!! this is he PROPER way to do it before processing.. then you process then.. you can just truncate the bits n not use some funky algorithm . you will use the algorithm to convert SAMPLE RATES not word length!!

use foobar/jriver/ soundeasy and cut the volume in the digital domain using a 64 bit processor. even if you cut it 60 db!!!
you still get the max S/N ratio of the dac.. do that to a 16 bit signal and u get ****!

all I wanted to know was the mini engineered properly?? and how did it handle the digital volume..
Old 26th February 2013, 01:45 AM   #432
Rob41 is offline Rob41  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMSTOOPID View Post
DONE EVER SAY IT CANT BE HEARD.. I can hear a 40khz ultrasonic welder running!
You sir, should contact the Guinness Book World Records!
Old 26th February 2013, 01:59 AM   #433
OllBoll is offline OllBoll  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob41 View Post
You sir, should contact the Guinness Book World Records!
I agree =)

And IMSTOOPID, there is so much wrong in your post I don't know where to start.

You've obviously not understood how sample values are stored and transmitted from the source to the DAC. It doesn't matter how many bits you use when calculating the attenuated audio samples. What matters is the minimum bit resolution choke point in the chain.

In this case the choke point is that the audio has to be transmitted as 24 bit samples @ your chosen sampling rate per second. This means that full usage of those 24 bits equals full volume. Less than full usage of the bits equals less than full volume => attenuation. You can't magically remove this physical limitation by doing the calculations in a 64 bit processor at the source.

If you, however, contrary to my understanding indeed have realized a way to do this then I'd suggest you write a paper about it because then you would get famous, very very famous (and probably also very rich).
Old 26th February 2013, 02:15 AM   #434
diyAudio Member

you add bits before processing all zeros to end of signal chain
whats so hard to understand about that.. it raises the s/n ration by adding 0's at the end of the chain whether you add dither or not is up to whoever is doing the processing.
then you do the processing.. duh! then you set you max ( digital 0 or something a bit less preferably) and truncate ( or dither) the rest of the bits to 24.. simple enough!!

uh that's how it done on most pro studio software!!!
troll the pro audio boards

as far as the 40khz welders if you ever been around one you;d understand..if not you wont and cant explain it. like i said make my teeth hurt!
Old 26th February 2013, 02:45 AM   #435
OllBoll is offline OllBoll  Sweden
diyAudio Member

What you are proposing would be similarly impossible to this:

Say we have a road from point A to point B. In between A and B there is a single file bridge, so only 1 car can pass at any time.

Building a 4711 file highway from A to this bridge will not magically remove the limitation that a single car can only pass the bridge. The maximum flow of cars from A to B at any given time is still 1. Sure you could increase the speed of the cars to improve throughput but that isn't an option in our case since the protocols don't work that way.

In the same way doing calculations with extra zeroes at the source will not negate the limitation that they will be sent as 24 bit samples.
Old 26th February 2013, 03:51 AM   #436
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMSTOOPID View Post
DONE EVER SAY IT CANT BE HEARD.. I can hear a 40khz ultrasonic welder running!..makes my damn teeth hurt when I walk into the welding room.IF any one welder is running..I'm not getting into audible bs on audio..
That is definitely not 40kHz that you are hearing, but the effects of changes in the load on the ultrasonic transducer, during the welding cycle, that have harmonics within the audio band.
Old 26th February 2013, 06:55 AM   #437
diyAudio Member

Maybe we should stop the discussion here, at least I'm out. I don't see any value in further posts since IMSTOOPID obviously is imune to all good and correct arguments

Thats obviously just my personal opinion!
Old 26th February 2013, 08:19 AM   #438
minidsp is offline minidsp  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Ok, this discussion is indeed becoming a bit out of topic on the DSP and it doesn't sound like there will ever be some common understanding. :-)

How about starting a new thread in the Digital section?

Thanks
DevTeam
Old 27th February 2013, 03:06 PM   #439
Rob41 is offline Rob41  United States
diyAudio Member

Default update

So on a different note......my miniDSP and UMIK-1 mic would be arriving any day now but the DevTeam has delayed shipments of the mic until correction have been made to the sensitivity in the calibration file. They say it should only be a few days so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

From what I've read, once the sensitivity issue is sorted out the calibration file for the mic should be spot on. Since this is an instrument that requires precision, I'd say that's a good thing.
Old 4th March 2013, 05:18 PM   #440
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob41 View Post
So on a different note......my miniDSP and UMIK-1 mic would be arriving any day now but the DevTeam has delayed shipments of the mic until correction have been made to the sensitivity in the calibration file. They say it should only be a few days so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

From what I've read, once the sensitivity issue is sorted out the calibration file for the mic should be spot on. Since this is an instrument that requires precision, I'd say that's a good thing.
Fingers crossed too. Shame, have everything but one final ingredient for the recipe to be complete. Have the means to take/make measurements, but no crossover ie this calibration debacle is holding up the key part of the order. Received confirmation this morning of the delay. Ordered Feb 22nd

Hide this!Advertise here!