miniDSP kits, our answers to your technical questions - Page 37 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > miniDSP

miniDSP Low cost, modular Digital Signal Processor (DSP) kits for the DIYer from miniDSP.

Old 15th November 2011, 02:42 PM   #361
Cyan is offline Cyan  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug20 View Post
I would like to see the measurements that proves the "not comparable to high end DAC Systems".

Imo its a waste of time and intelligent discussion to debate DAC differences.
Measurement can mean very little.
Nevertheless, I have a high-end speaker rig (except the amp, which is a class-t amp, but very good sounding), and tested it in normal configuration, and then with the minidsp in the audio chain, with all effects bypassed. The sound is very little worse, it would be very hard to hear the difference in a blind test, but it does indeed get a little worse. I've ordered a decent psu, because it will probably improve the minidsp sound, compared to it being powered via...usb .
But if one uses the minidigi (not using a second dac then), and the minidsp as active crossover (removing all passive crossover components) there would certainly be a huge improvement compared to using the minidsp in addition to the passive crossover, and having another dac before the minidsp (as it is in my configuration).
Old 16th November 2011, 07:29 AM   #362
diyAudio Member

I just answered the question of soundnovice, whether the specs of the DAC used on the miniDSP are comparable to "high end" DACs.
Taking a look to the Datasheet, the specs are a little worse compared to some so called high end DACs (e.g. ADAU1701: THD+N -90dB, AD1853: THD+N -104dB).
This might also be measurable with sufficient equipment ;-)
Whether this says anything about the sound may be discussed by "subjectivists"
As mentioned before, miniDSP works very well and soundnovice should not worry about the used DAC that might or might not be so called "High End".

In my opinion the basics should be done first for a good sounding audio system. Thats the room (furnishing, acoustic treatment,...), the speakers (chassis, crossover, EQ,...) and the interaction of room and speakers (speaker placement, EQ). A simple mic, some (free) software and a flexible crossover and EQ (miniDSP) is all you need (besides understanding) to do really great steps forward! After this it may be worth optimizing the rest of the system (sources, DACs etc.).
Old 16th November 2011, 08:32 AM   #363
DQ828 is offline DQ828  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curryman View Post
Hoping the attached diagram brings some light into your brain ;-)

miniDSP and miniDIGI are stacked and connected through ribbon cables. Jumpers and plugin configure the signal routing.
Curryman

Thanks I only just discovered your post I will study it carefully & see how I go.

Thanks again
David
Old 16th November 2011, 09:49 AM   #364
diyAudio Member

sure, just ask in any case of further questions
Old 28th December 2011, 01:56 PM   #365
OllBoll is offline OllBoll  Sweden
diyAudio Member

About the MUX on the MiniDIGI:

Can the MiniDIGI get input from multiple sources at the same time and combine them into a single output to the MiniDSP?
Old 21st May 2012, 11:40 PM   #366
diyAudio Member

anyone here has used Minidsp with a cd player that upsamples like arcams , cambridge audio or audiolabs ? if so please send me a private message
Old 30th May 2012, 01:48 PM   #367
diyAudio Member

@Ollboll: digital inputs can not be mixed on the miniDIGI. In all current 2x4 plugin analog and digital inputs can only be switched and not mixed (other than 2x8 platform, where you can mix analog and digital inputs thus plugin is called 4x10)
Old 1st June 2012, 12:23 AM   #368
JZatopa is offline JZatopa  United States
diyAudio Member

Can the balanced minidigi be used unbalanced without any extra parts?
Old 1st June 2012, 01:01 AM   #369
koja is offline koja  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default digital volume control

just noticed the thread. I did not have time yet to read through all of it, but I will. I recently was almost set to purchase miniDSP, but was REALLY turned off when read on their website that the digital volume control was not an add on for the 2x4 mini (only for the bigger 2x8 version which i do not need at this point and cannot justify the cost). Any comments miniD?

p.s. I will get back with more comments after reading through the thread.

Cheers.
Old 5th June 2012, 09:39 AM   #370
Ryssen is offline Ryssen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I think Im goint to use 1 minidsp and 2 minidigi and 2 DACs,with speakers that have 100db sensitivity.
Anyone used minigi with high sensitivy speakers and can comment on the soundquality and if theres any noise without music ?

Hide this!Advertise here!