miniDSP kits, our answers to your technical questions - Page 30 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > miniDSP

miniDSP Low cost, modular Digital Signal Processor (DSP) kits for the DIYer from miniDSP.

Old 6th March 2011, 05:13 PM   #291
theresa is offline theresa  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minidsp View Post
Processing delay will depend on the amount of filters enabled so not a one answer for all. You can expect from 1.5 to 2.5ms depending on the filters enabled. The safest way is to run an impulse response to get the accurate value based on your configurations.

For a surround solution, I guess that you may need to also delay the rear speakers if that's really a need.. I'm not sure how much it would affect in a surround configuration to be honest (e.g. by default surround speakers always closer to hears than front no?)
I've been using mine for more than a couple of months. I thought at first that the surrounds would be heard before the fronts because of the miniDSP but that has not been the case. Everything is in sync IMHO.
Old 6th March 2011, 05:25 PM   #292
theresa is offline theresa  United States
diyAudio Member

Default try it, you can always get something else

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbattery View Post
I am sick ans tired tonite. But I want clarify one thing. Is it true that you only have 48kHz and 64Fs input still. I don't mind using your dacs on the output but I don't mind using other dacs either, But I need hi definition input or faster sampling rates at least. I am major worried this is not going to be sufficient enough to produce acceptable sound. I need eq and delay with my new setup. But I need Hi Fidelity too. I am even hoping I am going to be able to extract some hi-sampling rates out of my austar decoder. Being HD and all. Using my decoders dacs then converting back to digital then converting back analogue. I fear this isn't going to come out well. My whole new 4 way active horn set up hinges on this device. I don't think I can afford anything dearer. Sorry If iam sounding a bit fussy but I don't think Iam going to have any resolution left after all that sampling.
I have found that the miniDSPs do not corrupt the signal. Hi Def sources (96/24) sound the same to me with the miniDSPs. I don't think 96kHz sampling adds any SQ for me but the 24 bit depth does. Maybe I'm just to old (56). With the miniDSPs my SQ is higher than ever before (subjectively informed by experience) and I now actively crossover my L/C/R, and equalize and implement a high pass filter for the subs (which are mostly crossed over by the pre/pro although I do have it adding a 6db high pass with it so I can run the bass management of the pre/pro to cross over the subs at 12db/octave and an additional 6db per octave from the miniDSP). This gives me an 18db/octave slope low pass which sounds best with the midwoofers getting a 24db/octave high pass slope.
The miniDSPs have given me more flexibility than anything I've used before.

Last edited by theresa; 6th March 2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 7th March 2011, 01:04 PM   #293
doug20 is offline doug20  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I am sick ans tired tonite. But I want clarify one thing. Is it true that you only have 48kHz and 64Fs input still. I don't mind using your dacs on the output but I don't mind using other dacs either, But I need hi definition input or faster sampling rates at least. I am major worried this is not going to be sufficient enough to produce acceptable sound. I need eq and delay with my new setup. But I need Hi Fidelity too. I am even hoping I am going to be able to extract some hi-sampling rates out of my austar decoder. Being HD and all. Using my decoders dacs then converting back to digital then converting back analogue. I fear this isn't going to come out well. My whole new 4 way active horn set up hinges on this device. I don't think I can afford anything dearer. Sorry If iam sounding a bit fussy but I don't think Iam going to have any resolution left after all that sampling.

How about spending more $$$ on that fussiness?? Other then that you should accept the fact that this is a $200 product...ITS an amazing $200 product but GEESH the hair splitting BS about sample rates only requires one solution, more $$$

There is not a measurement in the world that will backup any opinon saying "this is not going to be sufficient enough to produce acceptable sound"....your room (if has zero treatments) sucks more then this does, your XO might even suck more then the product itself. Lets just say there are so many other factors involved that this device is not remotely the problem in any overall design.
Old 10th March 2011, 12:15 PM   #294
diyAudio Member

I hope your right because if I went ahead and built this multi way horn set up and found out this dsp sounded like its speced. I would be in a fine pickle. Anything pro sells for like 5k. I suppose for the price its still a bargain. Personally I wouldn't mind paying more for a higher spec.
Old 10th March 2011, 12:39 PM   #295
Toaster is offline Toaster  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I'm going to be buying two of these soon. Well, actually a friend of mine is as part of a Complicated Audio Deal. My approach is that combined with REW it'll be an excellent development/ design tool at worst and make it easy to design an analogue active crossover if I want to. My suspicion, based on other builds here and elsewhere- is that it'll sound fine and will probably stay in the system as-is, but at the price it's not really much of a risk.
Old 10th March 2011, 01:05 PM   #296
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I Personally I wouldn't mind paying more for a higher spec.
Knock yourself out The Well Tempered Computer
Old 10th March 2011, 03:26 PM   #297
doug20 is offline doug20  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I hope your right because if I went ahead and built this multi way horn set up and found out this dsp sounded like its speced. I would be in a fine pickle. Anything pro sells for like 5k. I suppose for the price its still a bargain. Personally I wouldn't mind paying more for a higher spec.
If you think spending $$$ dictates performance then How about going with the DEQX, there is no logic in saying that isnt a high enough quality product.
Old 11th March 2011, 08:42 AM   #298
diyAudio Member

Item Description
Digital Signal processing

Engine
28/56 bit Digital Processor - Double precision processing
Host processor 48MHz micro-controller
Sample rate 48/96/192kHz (depending on the plug-in configuration )
ADC/DAC resolution 24 bits
Analog audio input Unbalanced signal, RCA terminated, 2 x Inputs
Maximum input level, THD<1% 0.9Vrms (RevA) or 2Vrms (RevB)

Dynamic range, un-weighted
>98dB

Input impedance 6kΩ
Analog audio output Unbalanced signal, RCA terminated, 4 x Outputs

I don't get it .It says its 24/96. I warming back up to the idea. No more fever just coughing up blood which is an improvement on 4 days ago.I like that I can battery power it easy. Thats a big plus.
Old 11th March 2011, 08:52 AM   #299
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Sample rate 48/96/192kHz (depending on the plug-in configuration )
Quote:
I don't get it .It says its 24/96.
AFAIK, the onboard ADC is only 48kHz. Using the accessory boards it is possible to get in higher sample rates.
Old 11th March 2011, 11:02 AM   #300
diyAudio Member

MiniDSP - miniDSP Bal/miniDIGI Combo

I think I was winging about nothing. I was going to buy the min digi anyway.I want to feed the digital out of my Austar satellite TV to the mini digi to the mini dsp than to my amps.

Sorry about winging guys. Was sick in heart and body.I will buy this one. Tempted to buy 2 mins dsp's straight up and build the preamp 4 way from the start. Saved rebuilding the preamp later. Battery power of course. I hope I don't have to build a new computer. That Will be so pricey and tedious. Just to get the usb2. How long has usb2 been around? I guess my old hp veritons with single Pentium and 2 g or rams are not going to have usb2?

Guess I am winging again I have my old gaming computer I can convert. I should be winging about the peace of bone hanging out of my wrist that is throbbing. If it's infected I could loose my hand. So I would be building this set up one handed then. Always dreamed of having the perfect horn setup before I am to crippled to build it so if I get to be stuck in my bed full time for the last ten years of my life. I at least have uber sounds to enjoy.

I am collecting parts for my 10y se headphone amp for the next step after that. When I have to go to the home.

Last edited by fatbattery; 11th March 2011 at 11:05 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!