miniDSP kits, our answers to your technical questions - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > miniDSP

miniDSP Low cost, modular Digital Signal Processor (DSP) kits for the DIYer from miniDSP.

Old 11th February 2010, 01:06 AM   #21
col is offline col  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes, because a balanced line reciever is so hard to build - oh, wait. No it isn't. It's a trivial addition that any DIYer could do themselves.
If it's so trivial then why isn't it on the board in the first place?
Old 11th February 2010, 01:15 AM   #22
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Sure, I only need balanced in, one channel only, that could be handeled, if I have to
Old 11th February 2010, 01:50 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

A dual opamp (and associated power supply decoupling caps, but that's a given, right?) and 6 resistors (7, if you want easily adjustable gain). That's all it takes. That's trivial by any standard - the Cmoy is often touted as the ideal beginner project, and this is no harder. Putting it on the board takes a little space and requires more input connectors, and I imagine that's why it was omitted.

You'd just have to take a little care that your inputs weren't too hot - since a balanced reciever typically has a gain of 2, it'd be pretty easy to exceed the 2V input spec of the Rev. B miniDSP.
Old 11th February 2010, 02:36 AM   #24
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjanda1 View Post
and desktops that'll do this stuff are sometimes free.
I have lots of those... can't bear to struggle with Windows, it offends my sense of elegance. When i get my Intel Mac i'll bear it long enuff to install VMWare & Parallels and set them so that i only have to deal with the applications.

dave
Old 11th February 2010, 02:38 AM   #25
minidsp is offline minidsp  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Alright.. let's try to combine a couple of answers to your good questions! :-)

Quote:
1 balanced in and 4 unbalanced out crossover is a very common industry standard configuration in proaudio circles due to needing long transmission lines between the mixer and the main rack. By not conveniently having a balanced in option you will miss a large market.
We understand your point of view (as a pro audio guy) but as we try our best to explain in the product concept page, the perfect product with the perfect I/O configuration that fits everybody's needs doesn't exist. Period. :-) No matter how hard we try, there will always be something else... So our answer to your needs (e.g.you need balanced in, but plenty of our users don't need to drive long distances), is to provide a motherboard (i.e. miniDSP kit) + I/O cards (SPDIF/Balanced/Amplifier). It may be a concept a bit hard to wrap your head around at first, but think of the PC market. Did u "ever" find a motherboard that had everything you needed? Most likely not... You had to buy the video card you liked (and was willing to add extra money for the extra RAm you need for your application), the sound card at the price point you were willing to spend... etc... miniDSP kits + I/O cards are exactly the same. Hope that clarifies a bit the concept of why we have a barebone board, shipped at the lowest cost, smallest size, that goes with other I/O cards to fit peoples needs. The more flexible we keep it (and away from trying to add too many features per board), the more freedom we give to our end users.

As "TheSeekerr" points out very well, if you can't wait for our balanced in/out card, building a balanced input is indeed quite simple and this forum is really loaded of information on how to do it. Do a search on balanced preamp/line receiver and have a look at the That recommendations I gave. You'll see that it's indeed just few parts and there are a lot of very easy to get information out there.

Quote:
Is it possible to use the minidsp like this:
Output1 = equalized highpassed left input
Output2 = equalized highpassed right input
Output3 = equalized lowpassed (left+right input)
Output4 = equalized lowpassed (left+right input)

The equalisation and low pass on Output3 Output4 being different.
Mmmmh, I'm guessing that you're trying to build a Left/Right highpassed with satellite speakers + 1 Sub? We're planning to release such version but with the PEQ (6each bands) on outputs, instead of the current graphic EQ on the input. It will be what I think you're looking for. No release date yet but in the pipeline. :-)

Hope this info helps.
Old 11th February 2010, 02:41 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Is there a port to linux in the pipeline? I see your using joomla for your website ;-)
Old 11th February 2010, 11:13 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by col View Post
Is there a port to linux in the pipeline? I see your using joomla for your website ;-)
Unfortunately, as much we love Linux, we don't think that we'll do that step. Maintaining Win + Mac is already going to be quite some work, and adding another OS would simply be too much load on our team to QC each OS properly.
Old 11th February 2010, 11:30 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

ahh ok, but if you have already ported it to OSX which is based on BSD it probably wouldn't be much more of a task to get it to run on linux, there are a lot of linux audio fans on this forum, you might even find a programmer who is interested ;-)
Old 12th February 2010, 01:24 AM   #29
domtw is offline domtw  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minidsp View Post
Quote:
Is it possible to use the minidsp like this:
Output1 = equalized highpassed left input
Output2 = equalized highpassed right input
Output3 = equalized lowpassed (left+right input)
Output4 = equalized lowpassed (left+right input)

The equalisation and low pass on Output3 Output4 being different.
Mmmmh, I'm guessing that you're trying to build a Left/Right highpassed with satellite speakers + 1 Sub? We're planning to release such version but with the PEQ (6each bands) on outputs, instead of the current graphic EQ on the input. It will be what I think you're looking for. No release date yet but in the pipeline. :-)

Hope this info helps.
Yes, almost, a Left/right satellite and 2 switchable subs...

If we forget about the equalization for the moment, with the minidsp and the actual pluggins, is this setup possible?
Output1 = highpassed left input
Output2 = highpassed right input
Output3 = lowpassed (left+right input)
Output4 = lowpassed (left+right input)
Old 12th February 2010, 01:54 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domtw View Post
Yes, almost, a Left/right satellite and 2 switchable subs...

If we forget about the equalization for the moment, with the minidsp and the actual pluggins, is this setup possible?
Output1 = highpassed left input
Output2 = highpassed right input
Output3 = lowpassed (left+right input)
Output4 = lowpassed (left+right input)
This configuration is actually a very simple modification to the Stereo Crossover configuration. (i.e. just mixing the post EQ L&R for output 1&3 going to the Sub). So while it's currently not available, I could easily make up a new configuration for that one.

Note that however the EQ will be Pre Xover. Many years ago, in my live sound days, I've never found it to be a problem having a graphic EQ for L&R to make a system sound great. It's only lately with the advance of DSP and PEQ, that people got used to having PEQ on in&outs and now feel that they won't be able to get a system working without them... :-)

Anyway, if you want to get a board with it, let me know and I can always build a new plug-in since it's an easy fix.

Hide this!Advertise here!