miniDSP kits, our answers to your technical questions - Page 29 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > miniDSP

miniDSP Low cost, modular Digital Signal Processor (DSP) kits for the DIYer from miniDSP.

Old 23rd February 2011, 01:08 PM   #281
AllenB is online now AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

I would be interested in delaying my woofers (0.5ms) to make crossing them simpler. Crossovers are taken care of so nothing but delay for them.

I want the unaltered signal sent to my tweeters. If there is a processing delay, then I guess I'd need to send that one clean through the processor.

Then I want control over the subs (up to 3 if possible)...individual level, low passing, and either discrete control over phase or simply variable delay.

Would I need more than one, if so can I run them together like this, and do you post to Australia?
Old 24th February 2011, 03:33 AM   #282
minidsp is offline minidsp  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Ok, could you please clarify to make sure you understand right?
- Is this a passive or active speaker we're talking about. i.e. you say crossover are taken care, do you mean by a passive crossover inside your speaker? If so I don't see how it would be possible to have the miniDSP in this equation since it operates at the line level (prior amplification)..
- If you can please clarify a bit more your system (maybe a diagram or simple description of your audio chain/elements) it would help us.

In essence, the miniDSP can be used as a time alignment device only. You can also bypass the Low & High pass filters on each outputs to allow you to have full range to your tweeters..

Once we have a better idea of your system, we'll be able to suggest a configuration and we indeed ship to Australia.
Old 24th February 2011, 03:57 AM   #283
diyAudio Member

Ok, and thanks for responding.

I currently use two stereo amps - two-way mains, and subs. All crossovers are passive. If I were to introduce a delay in my midwoofers, I would then use one stereo amp for the tweeters, one for the woofers, and two or three separate amps for the subs. This much would be given.

I don't require processing for the tweeters. If it were convenient, I could cross with processing instead of passively, but this is not a priority.

The woofers would require delay only. Again if it were convenient I could cross with processing but this is not a priority either.

For my subs I am looking for either two or three channels of processing for three things. To lowpass (each at a different frequency), to add delay (each channel a different amount, or even discreet phase adjustment if possible), and thirdly, simple room EQ.

Off hand, would you have an idea of the postage cost?
Old 28th February 2011, 05:09 AM   #284
diyAudio Member

Allen,

Not seeing your speaker it would be hard to say but I can see two options and just want to confirm to make sure.. :-)
- Your tweeter is without horn and say mounted to the front panel. Then most likely, it's the acoustic center of the tweeter that will require to be time aligned with the acoustic center of the woofer basket (deeper/further in the horizontal plane)
- Your tweeter is horn loaded, then in this case it's indeed the woofer that will require to be delayed/time aligned to the tweeter. (tweeter acoustic center further in the horizontal plane).

Anyway, just want to confirm that it's indeed the woofer that needs to be delayed.. :-) you could just confirm with a simple impulse response.

If you indeed want to delay the woofers, a 2.1 Advanced plug-in with the signal from your Preamp is all you need.

For the sub signal, it will depend if you're getting this from a separate SUB output from your preamp or deriving it from the Left&Right channel (i.e. LPF on the L&R channel).
- If you have a sub source (mono), then maybe you need a dedicated miniDSP for that (already used up all channels).
- If you don't, then you can then use the extra 2 output channels for your subs. You mention that you need 3 channels, maybe you have 3 subs?
What you're looking for is quite basic and easily achieved.

Have a look at the audio flow diagram of the miniDSP plug-in in the datasheet. I think that it will provide the information you're looking for.

Your config for a 2 x input, 4 x output configuration (sub channel derived from L&R signal)
- 1 x miniDSp kit or 2x4 unit
- 1 x 2.1 advanced plug-in

Your config for a 3 x input (L, R, Sub), 4 output configuration (Left Woofer, Right woofer, SUB 1, Sub 2) would be:
- 2 x miniDSP Kit or 2x4 units
- 1 x 2.1 advanced plug-in

Hope this helps
Old 28th February 2011, 05:26 AM   #285
diyAudio Member

Yes thanks, it does.

Just to confirm. Horn, and L&R. I'm not familiar with the plugin so I'll go and read about it.
Old 3rd March 2011, 02:25 AM   #286
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to trusound
after a few months of playing, I love it... in fact, everybody who has come by both audiophiles and industry members are in awe when I tell them that my room is actively done via dsp... "of course I do this after the session "

my request for upgrades is 2 things.. on the output gain, could a text box be added as well? that way I can input a number... also, could half db increments be done as well?

Thanks again!!!
Old 3rd March 2011, 01:17 PM   #287
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusound View Post
after a few months of playing, I love it... in fact, everybody who has come by both audiophiles and industry members are in awe when I tell them that my room is actively done via dsp... "of course I do this after the session "........

Thanks again!!!
I was glad to see your post as I've read very little about the Sound Quality of the MiniDSP when used full range with high quality speakers.

I'm in the process of converting our 3 way Klipschorns and LaScala clone center to 2 way with Active Crossovers. I'm presently using a DCX2496 for our Danley DTS-10 sub but would like to use the MiniDsp's for everything. This will be very helpful as the only pro amp we have is an EP4000 for the sub and I'll get a bump box for its input.

So are there others of you used that have used the MiniDsp on high SQ full range speakers? If so I'd be very interested in hearing your thoughts.

Thanks,
Rod
Old 4th March 2011, 12:48 AM   #288
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusound View Post
after a few months of playing, I love it... in fact, everybody who has come by both audiophiles and industry members are in awe when I tell them that my room is actively done via dsp... "of course I do this after the session "

my request for upgrades is 2 things.. on the output gain, could a text box be added as well? that way I can input a number... also, could half db increments be done as well?

Thanks again!!!
Glad to hear that you're a happy customers with our products! :-)
Both request seems quite valid to us and could indeed be implemented in future revisions...

Looking forward to seeing your future work!
Old 4th March 2011, 08:07 AM   #289
diyAudio Member

Location: In an old house on a hill needing repair looking over an old cemertry.
Default Major Disappointed with 48kHz and 64Fs input .

I am sick ans tired tonite. But I want clarify one thing. Is it true that you only have 48kHz and 64Fs input still. I don't mind using your dacs on the output but I don't mind using other dacs either, But I need hi definition input or faster sampling rates at least. I am major worried this is not going to be sufficient enough to produce acceptable sound. I need eq and delay with my new setup. But I need Hi Fidelity too. I am even hoping I am going to be able to extract some hi-sampling rates out of my austar decoder. Being HD and all. Using my decoders dacs then converting back to digital then converting back analogue. I fear this isn't going to come out well. My whole new 4 way active horn set up hinges on this device. I don't think I can afford anything dearer. Sorry If iam sounding a bit fussy but I don't think Iam going to have any resolution left after all that sampling.
Old 6th March 2011, 11:20 AM   #290
JohnR is offline JohnR  Australia
diyAudio Member

fatbattery - what city (in Aus) are you in?

Other than that, you should just try one.

Hide this!Advertise here!