miniDSP kits, our answers to your technical questions - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > miniDSP

miniDSP Low cost, modular Digital Signal Processor (DSP) kits for the DIYer from miniDSP.

Old 3rd February 2010, 04:15 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

I see it has 4 i2s outputs. Could it be possible to use them simultaneously for 8-channel sound? (4-way crossover on singe board)

Can the chip do FIR at least for stereo, and if so, how much samples?

Would it able to connect the filters in chains, like kX drivers for creative soundcards do? (it's has really nice user interface for dsp filters manipulation, in which simple filters are connected with virtual wires)
Official kX Project Site -- News
Click the image to open in full size.
FXBus/prolog - inputs
epilog - outputs

How much delay can i have between signals? Enough to delay a single period 50hz sine wave (880 samples for 44.1khz, 960 for 48k) in 3(6) channels for 4-way 2-board (1-board) xover?

I'd like to suggest the EQ interface which uses simple filters chained-up and drawn on the screen to show simulated filter response - an Electri-Q VST plugin:
AiXcoustic Creations: Electri-Q - posihfopit
Click the image to open in full size.

This board is AWESOME, and i will buy at least one when it would be available!

Last edited by s3tup; 3rd February 2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 4th February 2010, 06:50 AM   #12
minidsp is offline minidsp  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Hello,

In answer to your questions:

Yes we can use all 4 x I2S but we don't have a plug-in that currently provides that feature. Maybe we will one day, who knows... For the time being, if you need a 1x8, you can always get 2 boards... :-)
Currently most of our plug-in configurations are 1x4 (4 way xover) or 2x4 (stereo xover), so the I2S signals currently available on headers are: 1 x I2S for input + 2 x I2S for outputs. Have a look at our plug-in page + datasheet for more information.

FIR is currently not available (same as above, check our plug-in page). It will be in the near future though.. once we get few features that our current community members requested.

With regards to the user interface, have a look at our product concept page to understand how things work. It's not a drag & drop software allowing to configure blocks as you wish. These kind of software + real time firmware compilation do require a fair amount of engineering which is not the objective of this project. Our objective is to provide a flexible and simple to program low cost board that can be used by DIYers for their projects. While we do plan to provide advanced feature (biquad/fir/state variable), we will build features over time.

Check the datasheet & download section for more information about delays, but basically 7.5ms/channel is about the norm on 1x4 or 2x4.

Your idea of interface is something that we already considered. We do have an interface already plotting all our filters (can be seen in datasheet), but the objective being that one day we can also plot measured data.

Please check our FAQ's, product pages for more information.

Hope this information helps
Old 10th February 2010, 02:40 PM   #13
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Any chance to convert the two RCA inputs into a one channel balanced ?
Intended to work in a 3way PRO design fore instrument
Old 10th February 2010, 06:01 PM   #14
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

One of my customers has just gotten good results with miniDSP and Tysen.

I am more eager then ever to try this (when the Mac software comes -- it will run under 10.4.11 on PowerPC?)

dave
Old 10th February 2010, 06:20 PM   #15
pjanda1 is offline pjanda1  United States
diyAudio Member

Dave, it pains me to say it, but I am so glad to have bought a PC for audio stuff. I don't have fond memories of evenings spent stealing into my wife's office so I could play with PSUD on her office mate's PC. There is practically too much fun freeware to download on Windows. You can get a capable laptop for $50-100, and desktops that'll do this stuff are sometimes free.

Which isn't to say that I don't also look forward to the Mac version of the software. But, not as much as I anticipate the PEQ release or the ability to have four channels of low pass!

Now if I could just get Room EQ Wizard to run on my stupid old PC. . .

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers
Old 11th February 2010, 12:09 AM   #16
minidsp is offline minidsp  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Hello All,

Quote:
Any chance to convert the two RCA inputs into a one channel balanced ?
Currently, the easiest way to get balanced inputs to this board is using an external ADC board connected to the I2S inputs of the expansion connectors. Not much trouble at all if you know a bit of input stage/adc configuration and I2S signals. Have a look at our I2S tech note for more info. The other option could be having an external input buffer (E.g That1512 preamp or That1200). We have yet to experiment it on our side(have the parts, just no time), but with the DIY community, we would expect that someone would do it one day or another.. :-)

Finally, we're in the works of doing a high specs ADC/DAC card (balanced in/out) that will plug right on top and fit the needs of people wanting balanced input. However, this may take more time as we already have a busy schedule for the next few weeks....

Quote:
One of my customers has just gotten good results with miniDSP and Tysen. I am more eager then ever to try this (when the Mac software comes -- it will run under 10.4.11 on PowerPC?)
FYI, regarding the Mac OSx, there was a little set back with our programmer (out of our control). But no worries Dave, we're still very much working on it and hope to have it out the soonest we can. I realize you've been one of the first one to ask and we're certainly not forgetting it.. :-) As mentioned earlier, 80% of our application is already Mac compatible, just that 20% is subcontracted since it isn't our expertise (MacOsX USB programming), so we rather let it up to experts. Thanks for your understanding.

Tony
Old 11th February 2010, 12:27 AM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

No problems, having done programming before i am well aware of the 90% rule. Takes 90% of the time to do the 1st 90% and the last 10% takes the other 90%.

dave
Old 11th February 2010, 12:49 AM   #18
col is offline col  Australia
diyAudio Member

1 balanced in and 4 unbalanced out crossover is a very common industry standard configuration in proaudio circles due to needing long transmission lines between the mixer and the main rack. By not conveniently having a balanced in option you will miss a large market.

I recently retrofitted an old 80's analogue 4way using a ESP P125 (analogue).

MINIRIG ART 4 Way 24db Crossover ESP P125 Retro-fit

col.
Old 11th February 2010, 01:00 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Yes, because a balanced line reciever is so hard to build - oh, wait. No it isn't. It's a trivial addition that any DIYer could do themselves.
Old 11th February 2010, 01:06 AM   #20
domtw is offline domtw  France
diyAudio Member

Is it possible to use the minidsp like this:
Output1 = equalized highpassed left input
Output2 = equalized highpassed right input
Output3 = equalized lowpassed (left+right input)
Output4 = equalized lowpassed (left+right input)

The equalisation and low pass on Output3 Output4 being different.

Thank you!

Hide this!Advertise here!