miniDSP kits, our answers to your technical questions - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > miniDSP

miniDSP Low cost, modular Digital Signal Processor (DSP) kits for the DIYer from miniDSP.

Old 19th April 2010, 04:16 PM   #121
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Mini DSP, how is the unit powered when not connected to usb, Id like to use mine as a active crossover for a 2 channel speaker setup.
Old 19th April 2010, 05:05 PM   #122
diyAudio Member

Hello

Let me answer, as they are sleeping in Hong Kong right now

RTFM, MiniDSP Usermanual, page 3:

Expansion Connector #1

Pin
22 / 24 Ground
25 / 27 External DC input 4.5 ~ 24VDC

Franz
Old 19th April 2010, 05:21 PM   #123
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Gysi View Post
Hello

Let me answer, as they are sleeping in Hong Kong right now

RTFM, MiniDSP Usermanual, page 3:

Expansion Connector #1

Pin
22 / 24 Ground
25 / 27 External DC input 4.5 ~ 24VDC

Franz
Thanks,
Old 20th April 2010, 08:29 PM   #124
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to trusound
Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions..

When tuning for spacial averaging when you are matching L & R frequency response, PEQ is damn near impossible to use because no matter how steep the Q, you are always effecting frequencies that do not need to be touched.. You'll have instances were your are overlapping a band of PEQ with another just to fix what you didn't mean to touch..

That's why having 31 bands to address spacial averaging to fix L&R and then 6 bands of PEQ to address tonal issues would be the ultimate solution..

Quote:
Originally Posted by minidsp View Post
Trusound, have a quick look at the plug-ins audio flow diagrams on our website. You'll see that we unfortunately don't have 31 bands AND 6 PEQ on outputs. It's either configuration depending if you are taking 2way or 2way PEQ plug-in.
It's all about DSP requirements, 31bands are great visually, but utilize a lot of resources that may not be used. You can achieve a graphic EQ just as well with a PEQ I guess, just lock the q to a static value. Hope this makes sense
Old 21st April 2010, 01:27 AM   #125
minidsp is offline minidsp  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusound View Post
When tuning for spacial averaging when you are matching L & R frequency response, PEQ is damn near impossible to use because no matter how steep the Q, you are always effecting frequencies that do not need to be touched.. You'll have instances were your are overlapping a band of PEQ with another just to fix what you didn't mean to touch..

That's why having 31 bands to address spacial averaging to fix L&R and then 6 bands of PEQ to address tonal issues would be the ultimate solution..
Not sure I understand that one because in digital signal processing, a graphic equalizers is typically implemented by a bank of digital filters (same as parametric eq). As mentioned earlier, the only difference between the PEQ and Graphic EQ is just that in PEQ, we give you control of the Q (where you can go from wide to narrow) AND frequency AND gain. In Graphic EQ, using the exact same filter implementation (biquad), we only provide you with control of gain. Frequency and q being hardcoded in the background. That's the only difference.

With this being said: 31 graphic * 2 + (6xPEQ per output)*4 = 86 filters to implement this and that's just too much for this small platform so afraid that this configuration won't happen.

Hope this makes sense.
Old 21st April 2010, 02:21 AM   #126
exurbia is offline exurbia  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Tony,
I got my boards yesterday and loaded the plugin. The plugin can't find either dsp. I have left a message on the minidsp forum.
Is this a vista 64bit problem ?
Old 21st April 2010, 04:01 AM   #127
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exurbia View Post
Hi Tony,
I got my boards yesterday and loaded the plugin. The plugin can't find either dsp. I have left a message on the minidsp forum.
Is this a vista 64bit problem ?
Peter, (and other miniDSP users)

Just to clarify that this DIYAudio board is not a support forum for miniDSP. We're only trying to answer general tech questions here. For any need of tech support, please contact us: info@minidsp.com or indeed post to our forum (as you did). You may be wondering why and that's only because DIYAUDIO is a 3rd party forum where we try to answer threads as much as we can, but before we set a precedent, you just can't expect us to staff 2 forums, answer emails and help future customers all together... Just too confusing and very hard for our team to track each support issue spread among multiple forums (like yours). Thanks for your understanding.

With this said, our tech team will answer your post on our forum to see what could be the issue with your setup.

Tony

Last edited by minidsp; 21st April 2010 at 04:09 AM.
Old 21st April 2010, 04:09 AM   #128
exurbia is offline exurbia  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks Tony, it works perfectly on a 32 bit system. That is why I thought that this would be a good place to post. It appears to be a technical issue to me.
Old 21st April 2010, 04:23 AM   #129
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exurbia View Post
Thanks Tony, it works perfectly on a 32 bit system. That is why I thought that this would be a good place to post. It appears to be a technical issue to me.
Peter, please don't get me wrong. I'm not arguing you're having a tech issue (I fully understand). I was just clarifying (before it get hard for us to manage it among multiple users) that tech support issues are best handled talking to us directly (rather than a 3rd party forum). Thanks for your understanding.

As for the 32bit vs 64bit, we did test our plug-ins/platform on both 32bit and 64bit PCs and didn't have that issue. I wonder what it could be. Please contact miniDSP team to get more info and get your issue solved. Thanks
Old 22nd April 2010, 04:55 AM   #130
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shumgary View Post
Hi

For I2S output, what's the optimal configuration setting that miniDsp kit support?

Gary
Gary,

You can find all the information you need in the I2S tech note available from the download section of our website.

Hope this helps,

Hide this!Advertise here!