miniDSP kits, our answers to your technical questions - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > miniDSP

miniDSP Low cost, modular Digital Signal Processor (DSP) kits for the DIYer from miniDSP.

Old 14th April 2010, 03:46 PM   #101
durwood is offline durwood  United States
diyAudio Member

I didn't see any mention of this-Can adjustments be made in realtime so you can hear your changes instantly, or do you have to change the settings, load, then use?
Old 14th April 2010, 04:26 PM   #102
diyAudio Member

hello durwood,

in short: Yes, changes are reflected in realtime or a fraction of second.

So you can play with settings and instantly hear (or measure) what is going on at the output stage.

longer:
I downloaded i.e. the minidsp stereo-PEQ-Crosover plugin.
Installed the Adobe AIR on my Windows XP Laptop
Started the plugin
Connected the minidsp board to USB port
After some seconds, communication between the two devices is enabled.
Started to synchronize my Crossover settings to the minidsp board
After this first synchronization, the communication channel is "online",
meaning now you can play instantly with settings.

Just remember to save the desired version of your settings to PC.

You have no way to read out settings from minidsp.

Settings (XML File) are only valid with the used plugin!

Could not resist to write, as this is my hands on experience with the device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by durwood View Post
I didn't see any mention of this-Can adjustments be made in realtime so you can hear your changes instantly, or do you have to change the settings, load, then use?
Old 14th April 2010, 04:46 PM   #103
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
How do you power the Minidsp, when used in the system, i don't see any power inputs.
Old 14th April 2010, 05:15 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdriver View Post
After some seconds, communication between the two devices is enabled.
Started to synchronize my Crossover settings to the minidsp board
After this first synchronization, the communication channel is "online",
meaning now you can play instantly with settings.

Just remember to save the desired version of your settings to PC.

You have no way to read out settings from minidsp.

Settings (XML File) are only valid with the used plugin!
This generates more questions.

"You have no way to read out settings from minidsp."

If you have no way to read out the current settings in the DSP, and let's say you have no config file saved on your PC-what happens during sync? Does it delete or reset the DSP? Does it create a new/temp file with a your current settings?

WHat if the plugin version changes to add features. Would the XML file layout change and be incompatible with older saved XML files? Or is it not a problem?
Old 14th April 2010, 07:17 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

More questions...

I see it can be set to master/slave and share a clock.
1) How many of these can you connect together and synchronize the clocks? Is it software limited rather than hardware limited? I.E. what if the user wants more than 8 channels?
2) The power on sequence notes indicate master needs to be powered on first. makes sense. If using multiples, does it handle the sequence for the user or is it the user's responsibilty to devise a control method?
3) How accurate is the timing when setting up multiple units via this master/slave clock?
Old 15th April 2010, 01:29 AM   #106
minidsp is offline minidsp  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Thanks to SpDriver for answering that question from your experience. :-)
In answer to other good questions asked above, here is our answer:

Quote:
How do you power the Minidsp, when used in the system, i don't see any power inputs.
The device is a USB selfpowered device so it can be powered from a simple USB power supply (e.g. usb charger), or you can use an external DC supply (5 to 24V) connected to the expansion port. See tech notes in the download section for more info.

Quote:
If you have no way to read out the current settings in the DSP, and let's say you have no config file saved on your PC-what happens during sync? Does it delete or reset the DSP? Does it create a new/temp file with a your current settings?
That's correct, you can't read out settings. Things to know:
- If you never make any configuration offline (i.e. not connected to the board), then essentially, the fact that you didn't saved the config file doesn't matter. Each plug-in has a single configuration file (xml) that is active when the plug-in is started, no matter if it's online of offline. This configuration file is reloaded from the last time the plug-in was used. So if you start your plug-in, make some changes, go online to synchronize that configuration, turn off the software (without saving). When you switch the software ON again, you will have the last known configuration and will be able to synchronize again without having to worry.
- Only if you decide to make changes offline will you have to be conscious that the configuration will simply overwrite the current configuration.

Quote:
What if the plugin version changes to add features. Would the XML file layout change and be incompatible with older saved XML files? Or is it not a problem?
Providing you're talking of the same plug-in, same DSP block arrangement (see the flow diagram), adding features will not require you to purchase a new plug-in. However there are cases where the plug-ins are different (even if they are supposed to do the same thing), and unfortunately, we can't keep the same config file. Simply impossible.
E.g. when we went from 4 way graphic EQ to 4 way PEQ. Although these are 4way crossovers, they are completely different in the architecture of the DSP and required a complete rework of the plug-in and the firmware. So no compatibility in this case.

I'd recommend to have a look at our user manual since most

Quote:
How many of these can you connect together and synchronize the clocks? Is it software limited rather than hardware limited? I.E. what if the user wants more than 8 channels?
As mentioned previously, you can't stack 2 miniDSP on top of each other and use a single USB. not possible for hardware reasons as you would require a USB hub to talk to each board. On the software side, it's also not possible to control 2 boards from a single plug-in. However, it is possible as mentioned in the I2S note to put a miniDSP in I2S slave.
I tried a long explanation before on this topic, explaining what's that master/slave jumper on the miniDSP all about. I think it's best to refer to it first so that I don't repeat myself. Maybe have a look at our forum at the following link . I think that it will clarify a couple of points with regards to MCLK, how it works and how you could envision using this for your system.

Hope this makes sense.
Old 15th April 2010, 01:55 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

I understand you can only control one DSP at a time through the USB, my concern (which maybe I need to understand I2S better) is how many DSP boards can share I2S timing/clock? If someone wanted an active surround sound system, or maybe playing with arrays they will need >8 channels and they should share a clock.

It is my understanding from others that the DSP shares signal GND with power GND. Say it ain't so. It really can't be that expensive to add in an opamp differential input can it? Much better for dealing with potential ground loops-because it will happen.

Are you limited to using only one plugin with each DSP board? I.E. you cannot string plugins together?

Delay max 10ms? Can this be larger for those who want >10ms to simualte surround/HAAS effect?

Last edited by durwood; 15th April 2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old 16th April 2010, 04:04 AM   #108
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to trusound
totally sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I am going to ask this even though I can see that you guys are insanely busy with development and hell just released a new version but why not...

I am a firm believer of spacial averaging.. So matching L & R with 31 bands of graphic is crucial IMO.. but having a post 3-6 bands of PEG for tonality adjustments would also kick allot of ****...

So in essence... can in the future I have my cake and eat it to?
Old 16th April 2010, 05:24 AM   #109
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by durwood View Post
I understand you can only control one DSP at a time through the USB, my concern (which maybe I need to understand I2S better) is how many DSP boards can share I2S timing/clock? If someone wanted an active surround sound system, or maybe playing with arrays they will need >8 channels and they should share a clock.
I think that to answer that question, I would need to really have a better idea of the system you're trying to put together. As mentioned earlier, there is a difference between I2S slave/master and Master Clock (MCLK) slave/master and some are hardware configured while others (I2S) could be software configured. Instead of trying to go through all cases, or starting a long rambling about it, please clarify what exact scenario (maybe a schema) you're trying to have with multiple miniDSP? Then I'll try to see how that would be possible or not.

Quote:
It is my understanding from others that the DSP shares signal GND with power GND. Say it ain't so. It really can't be that expensive to add in an opamp differential input can it? Much better for dealing with potential ground loops-because it will happen.
A differential input for a balanced line would mean a split supply (+/-) which from a self powered USB device (+5V) isn't going to work that great. Stepping back to the miniDSP concept, miniDSP is the brain, the other cards are the I/O. It just happens to have un-balanced in&out. If there is a need for balanced input or wanting to use what we'd call "forward referencing" on the inputs, I'm afraid that it's going to be hard to make it happen on the miniDSP board itself.

Quote:
Are you limited to using only one plugin with each DSP board? I.E. you cannot string plugins together?
Yes that's correct. Only a single plug-in per miniDSP board.

Quote:
Delay max 10ms? Can this be larger for those who want >10ms to simualte surround/HAAS effect?
mmmh, curious where you might have read about this 10ms delay... We used to have it in our initial plug-in version but as we added features, we realized that we couldn't fit 10ms (which answer your question that in 4way, 7.5ms is the max). It's now 7.5ms (2.5m) and that's what is shown on all our datasheet. Thanks for letting us know if we made an omission somewhere on our website. These things happen.
Old 16th April 2010, 05:29 AM   #110
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusound View Post
totally sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I am going to ask this even though I can see that you guys are insanely busy with development and hell just released a new version but why not...

I am a firm believer of spacial averaging.. So matching L & R with 31 bands of graphic is crucial IMO.. but having a post 3-6 bands of PEG for tonality adjustments would also kick allot of ****...

So in essence... can in the future I have my cake and eat it to?
Hello Trusound,

Glad to hear that you find our products "sweet!"... lol
Unless i'm misunderstanding your questions, 31bands graphic Eq are indeed already there (check the plug-in section) for 2way and 4way crossovers.
As for the PEG, I'm guessing that you're thinking PEQ (as Parametric EQualizers with 3 parameters to be modified : frequency, gain, q).
These are also available under the plug-in 2way PEQ and 4wayPEQ.

Hope this makes sense,

Hide this!Advertise here!