miniDSP kits, our answers to your technical questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Many people also tend to forget that loudspeaker drivers themselves are very rarely linear phase themselves, so to get a true linear phase output you will have to use a non-phase linear crossover.
Here's the phase and Z response (1998 Stereophile review) for my passive xo ESL hybrid ML SL3. (Can you see the wiggles caused by the ~250Hz xo and ESL EQ?) If I used miniDSP to recreate (and improve!) the XO and the EQ for the ESL, I would like to flatten the overall phase response. Is this something that miniDSP can do now, or is it functionality that I can expect in the near future?

Attachments

• SL3 Z and phase fig1.jpg
    SL3 Z and phase fig1.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 441
Joined 2010
Paid Member
In order to flatten the phase response (or to reach a constant group delay) you need to adress the phase independent from the amplitude. This is not possible using IIR Filters like the miniDSP does. FIR Filters could do this, however the DSP used on this platform does not have enough calculation power to perform FIR filtering. Disadvantage of linear phase speaker systems is a significant overall group delay (e.g. 70 - 100 ms in case of linear phase down to low frequencies). Doesn't matter when only listening to music, but for home theatre systems this might be a problem.

I've just bought a true balanced dac and pre amp. I'm interested in the minidsp balanced version. Can you cofirm me that it accepts unbalanced in and out too? Since it has 4 outputs, can 2 of them be unbalanced and the remaining 2 balanced?
Do you also plan to make a in-box version with xlr connection AND a good psu? :)

Here's the phase and Z response (1998 Stereophile review) for my passive xo ESL hybrid ML SL3. (Can you see the wiggles caused by the ~250Hz xo and ESL EQ?) If I used miniDSP to recreate (and improve!) the XO and the EQ for the ESL, I would like to flatten the overall phase response. Is this something that miniDSP can do now, or is it functionality that I can expect in the near future?

The phase you are looking at is the impedance phase. Replacing the passive crossover with an active one will remove impedance phase variation associated withthe passive crossoevr/equalization but it will not affect the impedance phase of the woofer or panel. This is not something that can be addressed with DSP. The low frequency impedance peak is that of the woofer resoance and at least one of the higher frequency peaks is that associated with the impedance peak resulting from the LC resoance of the ELS panel and its matching transformer. Also, if you remove the passive crossover make sure you measure the impedance of the panel. Most ELS panels have very low impedance at high frequency. This is the case with my Monolith panels, and if that is the case with your panels you should make sure you have a resistor of 1 or 2 ohms in series with the primary side of the matching transformer. Otherwise you may find you amp reacting badly to direct connection to the panel.

Hi,

I have read this entire thread plus litrature on the miniDSP site and still have questions.

I would like to add subs to my system and cut off the low frequencys to my speakers. The miniDSP seems perfect for this.

This is what I would like to do:

Stereoflowchart.jpg

I want to let the DAC do the DAC and the miniDSP can do it for the subs. The DAC also has a remote volume control that I would like to use to control the volume for the whole system.

My question is how do I do this without having a second miniDSP after the DAC and going DA then AD and then DA again?

Also, will I need a miniDIGI before the miniDSP to handle the TOSLINK?

Cheers, James

Hi,

I have read this entire thread plus litrature on the miniDSP site and still have questions.

I would like to add subs to my system and cut off the low frequencys to my speakers. The miniDSP seems perfect for this.

This is what I would like to do:

Stereoflowchart.jpg

I want to let the DAC do the DAC and the miniDSP can do it for the subs. The DAC also has a remote volume control that I would like to use to control the volume for the whole system.

My question is how do I do this without having a second miniDSP after the DAC and going DA then AD and then DA again?

Also, will I need a miniDIGI before the miniDSP to handle the TOSLINK?

Cheers, James

Yes you need a Digi before the MiniDSP to have digital input.

I don't think you will be able to have digital out to your DAC as the Digi will pass the whole signal to the MiniDSP to be broken up & you would need the remaining signal sent back to the Digi to get a digital output, as the MiniDSP doesn't have a digital output.

And I would have to say there is no chance your DAC can control the volume to the whole system.

If you leave the DAC out it's all possible.

Can anyone confirm that I'm right?

Damn, looks like I'm going to have to rethink what I'm trying to build here. Thanks for your input 828.

I just want to split highs and lows in two different directions whilst using a good DAC with remote volume in as much of a stright line way as possible. The more I read the harder it seems to be able to do this?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Without using the remote control volume option of your DAC it would indeed be possible with the miniDSP 2x4 and the miniDIGI.
Setup would be:
digital source -> miniDIGI (digital in) -> miniDSP -> High frequency out to miniDIGI -> DAC
Sub uses low frequency analog output of miniDSP.
It would be possible to use the volume control option of the miniDSP, however this is not remote :-(
Another option is to use the miniDSP 2x8. Though it might seem a bit over the top for this application, it features IR remote control of volumne and has better specs. Setup would be the same including miniDIGI.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The routing of data from DSP to outputs is handled by the loaded plugin. For example the 2.1 adv plugin has PlugIn OUT# 1/2 (e.g. sub out) available on I2S_Data_OUT_1/2, PlugIn OUT# 3/4 (e.g. high out) available on I2S_Data_OUT_3/4 These channels can be routed to the SPDIF out using the jumpers on the miniDIGI.
Just take a deep look to the datasheets and user manuals

The routing of data from DSP to outputs is handled by the loaded plugin. For example the 2.1 adv plugin has PlugIn OUT# 1/2 (e.g. sub out) available on I2S_Data_OUT_1/2, PlugIn OUT# 3/4 (e.g. high out) available on I2S_Data_OUT_3/4 These channels can be routed to the SPDIF out using the jumpers on the miniDIGI.
Just take a deep look to the datasheets and user manuals

Sorry for my ignorance, but just so I'm clear on what you mean. The digital signal comes into the Digi, gets sent to the DSP, is broken up & then the high frequencies can be sent back to the output of the digi?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The internal DACs of the DSP (Analog Devices ADAU1701) are used on the miniDSP 2x4. Specs are quite OK though not comparable to high end DAC Systems.
I would try the build in DAC and optimize the rest of the system (room!, speaker EQ,...) first. In combination with miniDIGI it is quite easy to add external DAC later (each miniDIGI has one SPDIF output).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.