miniDSP kits, our answers to your technical questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions..

When tuning for spacial averaging when you are matching L & R frequency response, PEQ is damn near impossible to use because no matter how steep the Q, you are always effecting frequencies that do not need to be touched.. You'll have instances were your are overlapping a band of PEQ with another just to fix what you didn't mean to touch..

That's why having 31 bands to address spacial averaging to fix L&R and then 6 bands of PEQ to address tonal issues would be the ultimate solution..

Trusound, have a quick look at the plug-ins audio flow diagrams on our website. You'll see that we unfortunately don't have 31 bands AND 6 PEQ on outputs. It's either configuration depending if you are taking 2way or 2way PEQ plug-in.
It's all about DSP requirements, 31bands are great visually, but utilize a lot of resources that may not be used. You can achieve a graphic EQ just as well with a PEQ I guess, just lock the q to a static value. Hope this makes sense

When tuning for spacial averaging when you are matching L & R frequency response, PEQ is damn near impossible to use because no matter how steep the Q, you are always effecting frequencies that do not need to be touched.. You'll have instances were your are overlapping a band of PEQ with another just to fix what you didn't mean to touch..

That's why having 31 bands to address spacial averaging to fix L&R and then 6 bands of PEQ to address tonal issues would be the ultimate solution..

Not sure I understand that one because in digital signal processing, a graphic equalizers is typically implemented by a bank of digital filters (same as parametric eq). As mentioned earlier, the only difference between the PEQ and Graphic EQ is just that in PEQ, we give you control of the Q (where you can go from wide to narrow) AND frequency AND gain. In Graphic EQ, using the exact same filter implementation (biquad), we only provide you with control of gain. Frequency and q being hardcoded in the background. That's the only difference.

With this being said: 31 graphic * 2 + (6xPEQ per output)*4 = 86 filters to implement this and that's just too much for this small platform so afraid that this configuration won't happen.

Hope this makes sense.

Hi Tony,
I got my boards yesterday and loaded the plugin. The plugin can't find either dsp. I have left a message on the minidsp forum.
Is this a vista 64bit problem ?

Peter, (and other miniDSP users)

Just to clarify that this DIYAudio board is not a support forum for miniDSP. We're only trying to answer general tech questions here. For any need of tech support, please contact us: info@minidsp.com or indeed post to our forum (as you did). You may be wondering why and that's only because DIYAUDIO is a 3rd party forum where we try to answer threads as much as we can, but before we set a precedent, you just can't expect us to staff 2 forums, answer emails and help future customers all together... Just too confusing and very hard for our team to track each support issue spread among multiple forums (like yours). Thanks for your understanding.

With this said, our tech team will answer your post on our forum to see what could be the issue with your setup.

Tony

Last edited:
Thanks Tony, it works perfectly on a 32 bit system. That is why I thought that this would be a good place to post. It appears to be a technical issue to me.

Peter, please don't get me wrong. I'm not arguing you're having a tech issue (I fully understand). I was just clarifying (before it get hard for us to manage it among multiple users) that tech support issues are best handled talking to us directly (rather than a 3rd party forum). Thanks for your understanding.

As for the 32bit vs 64bit, we did test our plug-ins/platform on both 32bit and 64bit PCs and didn't have that issue. I wonder what it could be. Please contact miniDSP team to get more info and get your issue solved. Thanks

1 balanced in and 4 unbalanced out crossover is a very common industry standard configuration in proaudio...

I agree. the addition of balanced ins (and preferrably outs as well) would be great. just because we DIY, doesnt mean we skimp. the opposite if anything - we are all obsessed with sound quality.

Im wondering if the miniDSP might substitute for the behringer deq and dcx units i currently use (large, not particularly reliable, and a lot of features i dont need)

I agree. the addition of balanced ins (and preferrably outs as well) would be great. just because we DIY, doesnt mean we skimp. the opposite if anything - we are all obsessed with sound quality.

Im wondering if the miniDSP might substitute for the behringer deq and dcx units i currently use (large, not particularly reliable, and a lot of features i dont need)
As explained in other posts in this forum, the fact that we're not balanced in/out has nothing to do with "skimping on sound". Proper balancing would involve split rail (i.e. not able to run self powered USB without another switcher) and just add more components on this already crowded board. Balanced in&out will happen but on another I/O board. Please refer to our product concept for more info of why there isn't such thing as a "one for all" board. Hope this makes sense.

Balanced in&out will happen but on another I/O board.

how far away is this board and what will the likely cost be?

my sources are balanced (or digital - i can use your digital input board) and so are my amps. so this board would be good for me.

I dont know how many people would ever run this board as USB-bus powered. i think most of us would use USB to set it up, but after that it will be run on its own.

Please - I'm not complaining :) your system looks great, and is very affordable! and the modular nature is good too - you don't pay for or have to power things you dont need. I will very likely buy one soon.

thanks

Electrical levels

Hello,

I have a few questions regarding electrical levels.

What's the maximum input signal amplitude before AD conversion?
And what's the board analog output amplitude for a full scale digital signal?

Also, how is headroom managed in the digital domain? For example, if i'm setting a PEQ for 6dB boost, is there a corresponding 6dB attenuation before the PEQ? Or is it my responsibility to lower the signal level to make sure it's not going to clip?

Hope it makes sense :)

Regards - chaparK

Can i have 2 way crossover + eq at the same time ?

I want to use a LP 12 db/oct at 3500 hz and an HP 12 db/oct at 3500hz again .

Then i want to use True Audio: Audio Spectrum Analyzer and Loudspeaker Design Software (free one or the second lvl) with a SUPERLUX ECM999 to check how it goes and use your eq to flat the sound .

the big question is can i do it or not :)
Hello,

Yes, you can have EQ and crossover at the same time with the Stereo 2 way PEQ Crossover plug-in. Please have a look at our plug-in section for some simple audio flow diagrams of the plug-in configuration.

I'd also recommend that you read FAQs, manual and datasheets to answer most basic questions you may have.

Hello,

I have a few questions regarding electrical levels.

What's the maximum input signal amplitude before AD conversion?
And what's the board analog output amplitude for a full scale digital signal?

Also, how is headroom managed in the digital domain? For example, if i'm setting a PEQ for 6dB boost, is there a corresponding 6dB attenuation before the PEQ? Or is it my responsibility to lower the signal level to make sure it's not going to clip?

Hope it makes sense :)

Regards - chaparK

Hello Chapark,

Please have a look at the datasheet for these basic questions, already clearly highlighted in datasheet, product page and FAQ:
- Analog input: 0.9Vrms (revA) or 2Vrms (RevB)
- Analog output: 0.9Vrms

As for the headroom, it's under your responsibility to make sure you don't clip the output level.

Hope this makes sense,

For the RevA version (0,9Vrms) an attenuator with resistors would also be fine I think?

Is it also possible to combine a kit (like the miniDSP/DIGI Single) with the RevB version of the MINIDIGI? (with a little bit of discount, just like the RevA version)

Is it also be possible to control the volume with a digital potentiometer (and a rotary encoder or via remote control)

Last edited:
For the RevA version (0,9Vrms) an attenuator with resistors would also be fine I think?

Is it also possible to combine a kit (like the miniDSP/DIGI Single) with the RevB version of the MINIDIGI? (with a little bit of discount, just like the RevA version)

Is it also be possible to control the volume with a digital potentiometer (and a rotary encoder or via remote control)

- Yes, you can indeed attenuate the signal at the input and it's fine.
- You can get miniDIGI revB with the transfo with the add-on option. See I/O card section of the webstore for more info.
- Please read manual&datasheet. Yes you can indeed control any board with a digital volume control with a simple pot.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.