miniDSP kits, our answers to your technical questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not a MiniDSP user. But I am a DSP engineer. To me all those questions about custom Q, custom frequency, ... look more and more ridiculous. What a silly game ! And this is MiniDSP software architects fault. MiniDSP software architects, WHY DON'T YOU ALLOW PEOPLE TO UPLOAD THEIR OWN 2nd ORDER IIR FILTER COEFFICIENTS ? AND PUT, SAY, FOUR SUCH 2nd ORDER IIRS IN SERIES ON EACH CHANNEL ? DSP ALLOWS FAR MORE THAN LOW PASS OR HIGH PASS IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING WITH THE NUMERATOR COEFFICIENTS. DSP ALLOWS YOU TO IMPLEMENT IN ONE SINGLE 2nd ORDER IIR, A STATE VARIABLE CELL CONTAINING a% LOWPASS + b% BANDPASS + c% HIGHPASS, ON A COMMON DENOMINATOR, with a, b and c in the range of (-1,+1). If you don't know yourself how to use the DSP56K platform, please be so kind to allow other people to use it like it should. Have you noticed that the ALLPASS (pure phase shifter) is inside this, also ? Are you listening to people, MiniDSP software architects ? At the moment you are wasting people time and energy by not taking the right approach. You generate user frustration. You will crash if you keep this attitude. In a few weeks or months, somebody else will release the exact same hardware with a completely free IIR access like described above. For less money. Instead of trying to get people captive on a ill-designed software, please make your software as simple as possible, using IIR coefficients tables and IIR chaining tables. Your market doesn't need more. Your market DOESN'T WANT MORE. Audiophiles may allow tightly controlled IIRs because that's something simple to understand. But if you bring on the market something that is executing "some kind of IIRs" in an opaque way, your customers will vanish in the nature. Because your market is computer litterate people able to learn themselves about IIRs, able to download and use free PC software aiming at designing IIRs. Now, if you want to simplify our life, please make a PC application enabling people to design their own IIRs, put them in series, and see what's coming out. Before uploading the tables on MiniDSP. This is a two-weeks job, and will open lots of doors that you have maintained closed. Have you realized, that if you keep your ill-designed approach, the day you will need to open those doors (because somebody else, a competitor, doing it), it will cost you time and money in software development, you'll end up in a version + revision hell, and all your customer base will vanish ? Please, apply a lot of pedagogy in teaching people exactly what's happening while executing a 2nd order IIR, because, I hope you are aware of the fact that doing 24-bit DSP on a 56-bit accumulator is perceived as nearly obsolescent in 2010. And you and me we know this is a misconception, as 48-bit accumulation plus 8 bit headroom, in linear coding, is actually better than a bruteforce floating point 32 bits. WHY DON'T YOU EXPLAIN THIS to people ? Do you need to hide something ? Is there a dog in your DSP engine ? Is your system exhibiting a nasty behaviour regarding DC, with a drift caused by asymetric rounding, introducing the need for some dirty VLF high-pass in the chain ? The more time is passing, the more I think there is something like this, kind of dog, in your system. This, of course, would explain why you don't want to provide transparency regarding what's happening inside the DSP and the way the IIR filters are organized.

Mmmh.. That's a first for us, but I guess there is a beginning for everything. :) I don't believe we ever got that kind of language over here and I'm not ready to set a precedent in being treated like dogs... For the time being, I'd politely recommend that you chill out a bit and be considerate of the language you're using.

When you've chilled out and are ready to actually have a proper discussion as normal people communicate, we'll certainly be ready to answer your post and let you know what we're about to release next week. Other than that, I certainly have no reason to answer to this kind of post or even entertain that kind of attitude from anybody.

Tony

In have a great interest for MiniDSP and I'm glad to know there are people in MiniDSP, carefully reading diyAudio, and surely, taking notice of some ideas or feelings that get expressed over there. Sorry if you felt being treated like a dog. This was not the purpose of my post.

I'll be more careful with the wording next time.

Glad to read there is something new, planned for next week. Considering buying one MiniDSP system for evaluation.

The sole and only strong message I want to deliver, is that MiniDSP has a great potential, but quite curiously, at the moment, I don't see myself using it because it can't run some uncomplicated 2nd order IIRs I need. Those are the facts. This is the only "detail" preventing me buying a MiniDSP at the moment. You need to agree this is a stupid situation. Because it is notorious that, when dealing with IIRs, programming is a trivial task, consisting in uploading coefficients in memory, chaining the IIRs in a structured way, and pressing "start". It is so obvious, so simple and so trivial. One 2nd order IIR is six instructions, in DSP56K assembly ! And MiniDSP can't (or doesn't want to) cope with "random" IIRs, custom-made IIRs that depart from the trivial low-pass / high pass patterns.

What else does MiniDSP, more, better, that would explain why it is so limited in this particular aspect ? What do we get, as compensation ? Maybe the ability to change the IIR coefficients on the fly without "zipping" noise ? Yes or no ? What's the zipping noise floor, in case of on-the-fly changing IIR coefficients ? I definitely know that de-zipping a DSP application, with slowly changing IIR coefficients is not a trivial task.

But there are applications where you don't need the de-zipping feature. You set the filter, and that's it. You don't change it during playback. This is the point I was expecting you would raise. And this allows you to considerably simplify the wole software. And make it open. Using IIR coefficients info upload and IIR chaining/routing info upload. Is it the first time you get somebody querying about this particular point?

Regards,
Steph

Last edited:
In have a great interest for MiniDSP and I'm glad to know there are people in MiniDSP, carefully reading diyAudio, and surely, taking notice of some ideas or feelings that get expressed over there. Sorry if you felt being treated like a dog; this was not the purpose of my post. I'll be more careful with the wording next time. Glad to read there is something new, planned for next week. Considering buying one MiniDSP system for evaluation. Cheers, Steph.

Thanks for your understanding and change of attitude, we appreciate.

In answer to your questions:
I guess that I'd maybe highlight a couple of details of the miniDSP project. The first thing is that its modular aspect makes it of interest to a very wide range of users. From very knowledgeable (Engineers like you) to not at all (complete newbies that are just discovering what is a PEQ). The important fact is that we have no intention to change that direction, we just want to build a DSP community, with whoever wants to give a try to using these fun little boards. (Advanced + Newbies)

Why am I highlighting this? Because it gives you context as to why initial plug-ins were designed in a certain way in the first revisions.

From day1, we always set our eyes on building a set of more advance plug-ins, which will indeed provide access to all biquad/IIR coefficients and is what I believe you're after.
- Would that plug-in be what newbies look for? Certainly not.
- Do we have time to "educate" newbies? Certainly not, we already get enough inquiries. We're not running a school, we develop products and that's where we want to spend our time. A lot of info is as you mentioned freely available out there.
- How long before you see some first signs of this firmware coming out? Very soon since we're already in QC stages of a first rev. More to follow in the next few weeks.
- Are we listening to users? Staffing multiple forums, answering emails within 24h and from listening to what all our community members say, we certainly believe we do. Maybe you should do a bit more reading of minidsp forum or DIYaudio to see that we actually implemented a lot of suggestions from our community.
- How to suggest ideas? Certainly not by beating on us. I can tell you right now that it just won't work. :) We tend to listen and add to our "feature list" ideas when a) they financially make sense (engineering time = cost) b) we have time to implement them in our schedule c) they will benefit the community as a whole and not just one user.
- Is there any reason why we don't have it by now? Rome wasn't built in a day and while things may look on your scale they take time, we've been very busy with other projects. That's all...

Hope this makes sense and as mentioned earlier, I'd suggest that you do a bit of homework before making statements. A plain simple question (aka: When will you release an advance plug-in?) is all it takes. All the other accusations regarding the work of our staff or direction we're taking with our startup company is definitely not the way you're going to get our attention.

Tony

Last edited:
You need to make a difference between people that :

1- won't be able to benefit from the MiniDSP advantages whatever the plugins you do, whatever the pedagogy you throw in (10%) - they may be happy but they don't see the benefits, actually.
2- want to use MiniDSP as a hi-quality equalizer, not caring about the fact it is DSP instead of analog (30%)
3- are DSP-litterate, and want MiniDSP upgrading their DCX2496 (30%)
4- are DSP-experts, and want MiniDSP to run some advanced experiments (30%)

If you want to keep the stuff simple, you need to drop the dezipping feature for profile #4.
I can understand that it is difficult to have profiles #1, #2, and #3 properly dezipped. There you need to apply strategies that depend on the IIRs in use.

Steph

Last edited:
Hoi Steph - or salut, depending on which region you're from

I think you should calm down a little, because you're probably not the only dsp engineer here around, and because MiniDSP is offering a product that, if it fulfills your requirements well use it, otherwise make your own stuff.

If you're an expert in 56K programming and need to get to the biquad level, then get yourself an evaluation board (Freescale's board is at 150 US$ now) and have fun with it. By the way, MiniDSP is based on an AD chip, not a Freescale one, it's a 28-bit path and probably no guard bits - MiniDSP may tell us.

Regarding the 'state variable', i guess you're talking about state-space structures. As far as i know, these structures are mostly effective for 16-bit implementations because they can produce a gradiant of pole density, with more poles in the bass than in the treble. For 24-bit or 28-bit implementations they're less useful, and probably completely unuseful if you perform properly your fix-point operations in double precision, which is what MiniDSP is claiming to do. Also, state-space structures require more instructions than regular direct form to perform - for sure more than 6 56K instructions.

Hope to see you soon on these pages presenting your own project of a fully custom dsp filter!

Best!

chaparK

You need to make a difference between people that :

1- won't be able to benefit from the MiniDSP advantages whatever the plugins you do, whatever the pedagogy you throw in (10%) - they may be happy but they don't see the benefits, actually.
2- want to use MiniDSP as a hi-quality equalizer, not caring about the fact it is DSP instead of analog (30%)
3- are DSP-litterate, and want MiniDSP upgrading their DCX2496 (30%)
4- are DSP-experts, and want MiniDSP to run some advanced experiments (30%)

If you want to keep the stuff simple, you need to drop the dezipping feature for profile #4.
I can understand that it is difficult to have profiles #1, #2, and #3 properly dezipped. There you need to apply strategies that depend on the IIRs in use.

Steph

Hoi Steph - or salut, depending on which region you're from

I think you should calm down a little, because you're probably not the only dsp engineer here around, and because MiniDSP is offering a product that, if it fulfills your requirements well use it, otherwise make your own stuff.

If you're an expert in 56K programming and need to get to the biquad level, then get yourself an evaluation board (Freescale's board is at 150 US$ now) and have fun with it. By the way, MiniDSP is based on an AD chip, not a Freescale one, it's a 28-bit path and probably no guard bits - MiniDSP may tell us.

Regarding the 'state variable', i guess you're talking about state-space structures. As far as i know, these structures are mostly effective for 16-bit implementations because they can produce a gradiant of pole density, with more poles in the bass than in the treble. For 24-bit or 28-bit implementations they're less useful, and probably completely unuseful if you perform properly your fix-point operations in double precision, which is what MiniDSP is claiming to do. Also, state-space structures require more instructions than regular direct form to perform - for sure more than 6 56K instructions.

Hope to see you soon on these pages presenting your own project of a fully custom dsp filter.

Best!

chaparK

New Advanced miniDSP plug-ins

Great news,

Following my previous comments mentioning that we would eventually release advanced versions of our plug-ins allowing greater programming freedom of the Biquad filters, it just became reality!

For the past few weeks, we've been working on new sets of plug-ins and following extensive testing, they are about to be released tomorrow if all goes well. :)

Please read the following thread for more info : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/minidsp/168164-minidsp-new-plug-ins.html

Have fun and let us know if you have further questions.

DevTeam

minidsp, your product looks great for the application I have intended for it. and I am planning on purchasing one within the next week or so, however, I have a few questions regarding the unit.

1) stated dc voltage is 4.5-24V DC, I am thinking of running this unit off 2 x 12V batteries in series, can the unit cope with 25.4 V?
2) what is the current estimated shipping time to the UK?

Chhers.

Jez

Hello Jez,

Thanks for your comments,
- 25.4V will be fine. Are you going for a portable system? Could be a neat application... tell us more.
- As for shipping, it takes about 3-4days to reach UK typically. Shipments are by EMS, as fast as UPS/Fedex but for 1/2 the cost.

Hope this information helps,

Are you going for a portable system? Could be a neat application... tell us more.

Yes I am going to be using this in a (semi) portable enclosure. There is quite a few people over at speakerplans who have made, and are making portable PA rigs which run off 12V batteries.

Most have used either pasisve designs or an active car x-over, both of which aren't very efficient.

The benefits of using a DSP over these are massive, and i'll be buying one very soon.

Jez

Hello,

We're indeed planning to release an enclosure on day, but just been busy with other tasks and our custom box supplier delayed a couple of prototype ideas we had. We'll try to push it the release on our schedule.

DevTeam.

Thanks for the update, i will be buying one of your miniDSP kits & and enclosure.

J'

Is there a way to translate a linkwitz-transform (also 2nd order shelving) to your 2nd order shelving?

I've searched around, but couldn't find a direct answer.
I can solve it myself, but I think more people have the same problem.

Sorry no we don't have an app note and explanation on how to. There is a fair amount of info online and using our advanced Biquad programming module, it just requires you to figure out the biquad coeff.

We can always see in the future how we can implement an easy applet maybe inside our site to suggest the correct values.

Hi,
I have the Mac beta version and it is nice. Not different from the Win version for the end user.
I think next step will be the official release from miniDSP. At least I found no issues with the Mac version once it is installed which was a bit more tricky than on Win.
Br
Josch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.