miniDSP introduction, what we do, who we are - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > miniDSP

miniDSP Low cost, modular Digital Signal Processor (DSP) kits for the DIYer from miniDSP.

Old 17th January 2010, 05:03 AM   #1
minidsp is offline minidsp  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Default miniDSP introduction, what we do, who we are

Hello DIYers,

Just a quick note to introduce ourselves to the diyaudio community. We're miniDSP, a startup company designing, manufacturing and supporting a line of low cost Digital Signal Processor modules targeted at the DIY audio market. Our team is made up of audio, electronic and IT geeks who are passionate about good audio, quality products and who got together with the idea of providing Digital Signal Processing at low cost. With miniDSP, we aim at building the first DIY DSP community, where community members have a say on what DSP product they'd like to have. When was the last time a DSP manufacturer asked you that question?

Digital Signal Processors are a great tool for audio processing application! However, most DSP Eval kit out there have a serious learning curve attached to them. So no matter how you look at it, you'll most likely spend more time coding than actually tuning your audio system! miniDSP kits don't require C programming knowledge, no need for you to build windows drivers or get your biquad equations out of the closet. We already did all that work for you and the end result is a module that get programmed in few minutes and can be upgraded for a different project with a new plug-in :-)

I think that's about all for the intro... We'll post more threads for product releases and other community polls. In the mean time, feel free to bounce ideas, suggestions you'd like to see us implement. We'll all hears!

Check us out at www.minidsp.com

miniDSP Dev Team
Old 17th January 2010, 05:31 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Do you have OS X support.

dave
Old 17th January 2010, 05:58 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hello Dave,

As we speak, we've already hired a Mac programmer to move our code to Mac OS, so it's becoming more real by the minute. :-)

Here are the current systems requirements
Mac OS X

• Intel Core™ Duo 1.83GHz or faster processor; PowerPC® G4 1GHz or faster processor
  • Mac OS X 10.4.11,10.5.4, 10.5.5, and 10.6
  • 512MB of RAM
No estimate till release because as usual with engineering projects, timing could be modified. We also prefer releasing a feature late (but fully tested) rather than rushing for what will certainly be a buggy software. :-)

I'll keep you updated when we're close to release.
Old 18th January 2010, 08:28 PM   #4
glt is offline glt  United States
diyAudio Member

Very nice product. Can one bypass the A/D and D/A and only use the digital section? For example, I2S in -> digital crossover -> I2S (high) out and I2S (low) out. What sample rates are supported at the I2S inputs and outputs? For example, can I have 44.1K I2S input and 44.1K I2S output?
Old 18th January 2010, 08:50 PM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by minidsp View Post
Hello Dave,

As we speak, we've already hired a Mac programmer to move our code to Mac OS, so it's becoming more real by the minute. :-)

Here are the current systems requirements
Mac OS X

• Intel Core™ Duo 1.83GHz or faster processor; PowerPC® G4 1GHz or faster processor
  • Mac OS X 10.4.11,10.5.4, 10.5.5, and 10.6
  • 512MB of RAM
No estimate till release because as usual with engineering projects, timing could be modified. We also prefer releasing a feature late (but fully tested) rather than rushing for what will certainly be a buggy software. :-)

I'll keep you updated when we're close to release.
Absolutely wonderful news. Most manufactures just brush off the Mac and say run a Windows Virtual Machine.

Note that 10.5.x (Leopard) is now at 10.5.8 and finally pretty stable. Snow Leopard will be at 10.6.3 soon.

PowerPC support means that one can use any of the older Macs falling off the bottom to dedicate to the task (i have a 1 GHz G4 laptop & a 1.8 GHz G5 iMac currently sitting around doing little). When you get close, if you need any beta testers...

Bob (at CSS) had pointed you guys out before with the idea that some interesting product could be leveraged off of your modules.

dave
Old 18th January 2010, 08:53 PM   #6
glt is offline glt  United States
diyAudio Member

I read your paper on I2S from your website. It seems I2S is limited to 48KHz and 64 fs. Would it support arbitrary input sample rate and fs with s/w change?

For example one may want to input 44.1KHz, 128fs at the input and 44.1KHz, 256 fs at the output. Most high-end DACs such as Wolfson 8741 requires 256fs with 44.1K material.
Old 18th January 2010, 09:07 PM   #7
Key is offline Key  United States
diyAudio Member

Great idea! I was actually looking for a little DIY company that did this yesterday without much success. How convenient. Good luck with the new business.
Old 19th January 2010, 12:20 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Dave,

Glad that you're appreciative of our effort trying to make it Mac compatible. As you may imagine, providing OS compatibility isn't always easy, but since we're Mac addicts as well, we couldn't see ourselves not releasing a Mac compatible version.. :-)

Will let you know when things get closer to completion,

BR
Old 19th January 2010, 12:23 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glt View Post
I read your paper on I2S from your website. It seems I2S is limited to 48KHz and 64 fs. Would it support arbitrary input sample rate and fs with s/w change?

For example one may want to input 44.1KHz, 128fs at the input and 44.1KHz, 256 fs at the output. Most high-end DACs such as Wolfson 8741 requires 256fs with 44.1K material.

Hello Glt,

In an effort to keep miniDSP kit technical questions organized in one thread, I created a new thread here. miniDSP kits, our answers to your technical questions

Please check out my reply to your question & let me know if you have further comments

Thanks.
Old 19th January 2010, 12:40 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key View Post
Great idea! I was actually looking for a little DIY company that did this yesterday without much success. How convenient. Good luck with the new business.
Thanks, we'll try our best to make DIYers happy with a plug&play DSP kit, yet providing all the DIY tricks one would need for his custom audio project.

Hide this!Advertise here!