Chris Strahm of LinearX has Passed Away - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > In Memoriam
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

In Memoriam A place to remember diyAudio members, mods, and other audio personalities no longer with us....

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st January 2017, 05:18 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Chris Strahm of LinearX has Passed Away

If you have a Voice Coil account (free for industry pros) you can read the VC Obituary:

Complete Loudspeaker Industry Focus: Voice Coil February 2017 Now Available!

I've talked to Chris a few times over the years and he was always nice and extremely informative, his technical ability was unmatched. I remember when I first purchase LMS, I was blown away at how well the UI was built. The user manual is just as much a reference for loudspeaker testing as it is a manual of how to use the product. I marveled at the fact that he designed the PCBs, wrote all the code and wrote the product manuals.

I remember joking his wife, Susie, about the fact that Chris needed to take more vacations. He was a workaholic and worked all hours of the night, typical of an engineer or programmer. I doubt that anyone can pick up where he left off with the LX500.

He will be missed.

Rob

P.S. The phone at LinearX has been disconnected. I suggest that you don't place any new online orders.
Old 31st January 2017, 09:29 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

There was nobody in the industry that I personally learned more from than Chris. This saddens me deeply. He was patient and taught me more than he'll ever know. I was amazed that he supported his LMS and LEAP products personally and was always willing to answer questions and help in any way that he could. I had always hoped I would meet him one day..There were very few in the industry that could match his genius, IMHO.
Old 10th February 2017, 05:06 PM   #3
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Certainly "sad" enough for all parties involved. While the firm's outstanding liabilities have clearly been a long time coming, can we assume that at this juncture Susie has more than a full plate, and that much of the operations / financing might have been beyond her control?

If legal actions are available for restitution, could she at least be granted a period of grace an mourning?
Old 14th February 2017, 11:45 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hello Everyone,

Chris was a friend of mine and we worked together for over 15 years. Our company distributed his products in Europe.
With his loss a lot of knowledge is gone and he will be missed...

I just wanted to give you all an update of what is happening at the Moment.

As you all know Chris ran his company with Susie and Eva. As Chris did everything by his own there is no way for Susie or Eva to keep the company running. Therefore Susie wants to sell the company and the house near the company in which they both lived. With the money she wants to pay back the refunds from the LX500 customers. The reason why the webpage is offline is because someone pulled the plug of the server.
At the moment we are also looking for some missing update packages from the server. It would be really helpful if someone with the files could send us these. We also want to offer the packages on our webpage, so that all LinearX customers can download the missing software. We are looking for:
- Update Enclosure Shop
- Update Crossover Shop
- Update Filtershop
- Demo Crossover Shop
- Demo Enclosure Shop
So if you have any of these please send it to us or contact us: linearx(at)physical-lab.com

I will keep you updated when I know more.
Old 14th February 2017, 09:34 PM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

This looks hopeful - while perhaps the LX500 was a bridge to far - at least for a firm with such limited resources, it's heartening to see the intent to honor the customers patience for refunds. It just would be a crying shame if that meant Susie lost a lifetime of equity that was probably going to be her retirement.
Old 15th February 2017, 01:35 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Physical Lab View Post
Hello Everyone,

Chris was a friend of mine and we worked together for over 15 years. Our company distributed his products in Europe.

As you all know Chris ran his company with Susie and Eva. As Chris did everything by his own there is no way for Susie or Eva to keep the company running. Therefore Susie wants to sell the company and the house near the company in which they both lived. With the money she wants to pay back the refunds from the LX500 customers. The reason why the webpage is offline is because someone pulled the plug of the server.
At the moment we are also looking for some missing update packages from the server. It would be really helpful if someone with the files could send us these. We also want to offer the packages on our webpage, so that all LinearX customers can download the missing software. We are looking for:
- Update Enclosure Shop
- Update Crossover Shop
- Update Filtershop
- Demo Crossover Shop
- Demo Enclosure Shop
So if you have any of these please send it to us or contact us: linearx(at)physical-lab.com

Thank you for the update.

I have sent Physical Lab the update files for LMS, Enclosure, Crossover and Filter Shop. If you need the update files contact them or PM me.

Cheers,

Rob
Old 15th February 2017, 01:40 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Physical Lab View Post
Hello Everyone,

- Update Enclosure Shop
- Update Crossover Shop
- Update Filtershop
- Demo Crossover Shop
- Demo Enclosure Shop

This statement above seems like very encouraging news. By the way, do you know the cause of death? Had Chris been sick for any time last fall?
Old 15th February 2017, 09:35 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

The only issue I have with a refund is that I've been looking forward to owning an LX500 for more than five years now! If Susie can get someone to take over the project and promise an actual product, even if it doesn't have all the capabilities Chris envisaged, I'd even be prepared to kick extra cash into the bucket (and I've already paid in full). My guess is that most of the 130 people who've committed would be prepared to do the same, which would be a powerful incentive for someone to take on the project.
Old 15th February 2017, 12:45 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hello everyone,

Thank you very much for your help! We will upload the software updates and some documents on our homepage in the next days.
At the Moment I can't tell you more about the future of the comany or even single products, but I will keep you updated!
Old 15th February 2017, 05:45 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Physical Lab,

Thanks for your updates and encouraging thoughts regarding LinearX. I'm sure it is reassuring to those who have invested with the company, have existing products or who have put money in advance for the LX500.

Can you give us any update as to what happened to Chris? When you think about a one-man show, so-to-speak, with a company that had exceeded one million in sales nearly twenty years ago, had very little debt and maintained a really excellent reputation in the field for nicely engineered and well-built products and good customer service, it comes as a great shock and surprise that everything came to a screeching stop with Chris' death. No apparent path forward; no follow-on plan that is evident. Besides that, there are many products -- owned by professionals and audiophiles -- with no basic product support going forward. So not only are there many deposits on hand for the LX500, there are probably a number of LinearX instruments that are in the plant now for alignment, updates or repairs. There are probably even more products in the hands of owners in need of updates, etc.

Hide this!Advertise here!