New MarkAudio - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 31st December 2014, 12:46 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default New MarkAudio

Hi Guys,

As many of you know, this January marks the 2 year point from my cancer diagnosis. Happily, I’ve just passed my 57th birthday and born in 1957, it feels like quite an achievement given the original severity of my illness. My energy levels continue to vary so I’ve had to think a lot about how to help Markaudio progress into the future. Anyone who’s run a small business, especially in design-manufacturing knows how challenging it is. Doing this work while surviving cancer is even more pressing. So I spent time talking with experienced Diyaudio forum members and fellow professional audio business friends on best ways to secure future long term driver production.

Happily, a solution is born by the formation a new company “MarkAudio Loudspeakers Limited”. Led by enthusiasts Steve Cheng, Evan Yu and Norio Nakajima, this new enterprise in a genuine international effort. Steve, Evan and Norio have collectively known me for more years than I care to admit. Many of you know Evan. For several years, along with the assembly team, he’s personally made many of the drivers you all use today. Others know Norio as Markaudio’s “Man in Japan” who took Markaudio from zero to the third largest Full-Range (FR) brand inside Japan, a phenomenal effort given his country is the home of Fostex, the world’s largest FR maker. Steve is my engineering kindred spirit, an electronics engineer who tuned his skills to create Telefield, a first class OEM design/manufacturing enterprise. If you happen to own a Pioneer brand house telephone system, there’s a good chance Steve designed and made it. These 3 guys have a bounty of skills and energy that I can only dream of. I should also introduce Thomas Lo. Thomas is an amazing guy, lots of previous experience in the A/V industry; an excellent practical fellow (who’s an Issigonis Mini owner/enthusiast); He will do much to run the new company’s regular operations.

From tomorrow (January 1st 2015) all Markaudio driver assets and brand rights will transfer to this new company. I’m happily staying on with the new team in the role of “Development Director”. I’m also joining a second new company “Sota-MarkAudio” as its Design Architect, to develop a range of finished loudspeaker products using my driver designs. In all, these guys have created a working oasis for me, a 4 day week where much of the business pressure is lifted off my shoulders; where I can get back to my first love of experimenting and creating more effective driver and loudspeaker systems. Diyaudio member Dr. Scott L. also joins Sota-Markaudio as its very able design consultant.

Both these companies are run by enthusiasts. They want to continue my tradition of being connected to Diyaudio members and end users. In particular MarkAudio Loudspeakers is keen to expand into wide-band and bass driver production.

On a personal note, the wheel has turned full circle. I started with the Alpair 5 and will finish my independent work with its replacement. From the original unit with its F Zero of 125Hz and top end to 20kHz, to the new single suspension unit @ 90Hz and top range to 30kHz, my work continues to progress.

Over the coming weeks, I’ll give you all more information on the new company’s operation and introduce Thomas into the Diyaudio fold.

I’d like to take this opportunity to thank the members who’ve supported with me in recent years; who’ve encouraged me to continue working through my illness, who’ve understood and appreciated my efforts, I salute you.

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 31st December 2014 at 01:14 AM.
Old 31st December 2014, 01:04 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Good to see Mark Audio grow & prosper

dave
Old 31st December 2014, 02:22 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

My father was diagnosed just over three years ago with his cancer. He's been doing well, it hasn't warranted surgery yet but it certainly casts a specter over him on occasion.
He's at his best when he's busy and it certainly sounds like you're doing just that

Look forward to more news from Mark Audio in the future.
Old 31st December 2014, 02:44 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Congratulations on the advancement of the "Mark Audio" brand of loudspeaker components and to your continued success. I surely speak for many when I say that I cannot wait to see what new products the future holds!
Old 31st December 2014, 03:05 AM   #5
doorman is offline doorman  Canada
diyAudio Member

First, a thank you.
Alpair 10.2's are my daily driver.
Secondly, Best Wishes for continued good health !
Very happy to hear of your business reorganization.
Old 31st December 2014, 03:17 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Nice to hear these good news.
It's really laudable that you think in the long term for the drivers production.
Hope you can win the battle with your illness
The best to all the MarkAudio team!! and a big thank you for the hard work.
Old 31st December 2014, 03:17 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Congratulations - great news and a toast to your many years of achievements, Mark, as I sit here with a glass of champagne listening to my Alpair 7 horns on New Year's Eve!
Old 31st December 2014, 08:32 AM   #8
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Congratulations Mark and wishing you all the best for the future!

Look forward to hearing more from you and the team in 2015.
Old 31st December 2014, 08:52 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Enjoy 2015 Mark and above all

Have fun!

Looking forward to next yr (from tomorrow..yikes) - 2013/2014 was an absolute bitch
Old 31st December 2014, 10:31 AM   #10
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

Mark,

Glad to see that you have arrangements for continuity.
We are all getting old, and some of us are probably facing the same issue.
What I can guess from the photos, you have a good mix of age in your team.
Hope you enjoy life as is.

Was actually in HK last two weeks but too busy with private things.
Hope to meet up next time round, which may be a while.

Happy New Year,
Patrick

Hide this!Advertise here!