Evaluate Options To Line Super Pensil Cabinet - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 7th December 2014, 02:15 PM   #1
tlarwa is offline tlarwa  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Evaluate Options To Line Super Pensil Cabinet

I know that that the top portion of the Pensil cabinet needs to be lined, in addition to the fiberfill at 75-1.0#/cu.ft. of volume. I have 3 options readily available to me, and was wondering which one is optimal, or if I need to buy something else.

Option one is 1/8" thick F11 acoustical felt. I've used this in the past to cover surfaces that were going to "see" the speaker cone.

Option 2 is a product we use at work to make acoustical panels. It's a 100% polyester sheet, in varying thicknesses (I have 1/2" and 1" at home). It's made to absorb sound, and the 1/2" has a .45 NRC (noise reduction coefficient) while the 1" has a .65 NRC. Would this be suitable? Tne product is called ReCore. You can Google it to see what it's all about.

Option 3 is the denim insulation product (can't think of what it's called). I think I used this in my FH3 build. The problem is that it's not in a nice even sheet form, so it's tougher to glue to a surface.

I've also been told to use 2" acoustical foam. I'm thinking this may be similar, or at least function similar, to the ReCore that I have?

And how far down the cabinet should I go with the lining? Should it be on the inside of the top, baffle, side walls and back walls?

Thanks,

Tom
Old 7th December 2014, 04:03 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarwa View Post
I know that that the top portion of the Pensil cabinet needs to be lined, in addition to the fiberfill at 75-1.0#/cu.ft. of volume.
It does? News to me.

I specifically designed the pensils to use stuffing only, but if you wish, you can line the top. The impact will be minimal since the alignment is adjusted to taste / best suit your system requirements via the density of the stuffing. If you decide to line the top, avoid foam.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 7th December 2014 at 04:08 PM.
Old 7th December 2014, 06:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hmmm ... I must've read it somewhere. I've read pretty much every thread, so there's no doubt I came across some "mis-information" along the way! But hey, far be it for me to second guess you on this one. I'm more than happy to just use fiberfill!

Thanks for the clarification!
Old 7th December 2014, 06:59 PM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Tom /Scott, perhaps I'm guilty for that mis-information - I know that I routinely line all cabinets with 1/2" Ultra-touch without necessarily consulting that part of any written instructions. That was certainly the case in pair of A12P SuperPensils that Jeff & I built a while back, and for that matter a current build of 12PW/A7P MTMs ( not a tiny box, BTW)

It does tend to aid in gripping of loose fibre fill to avoid it shifting or falling out of place if optimum fill quantity for the system is in the light side, and without a duplicate pair of builds for comparison, it's hard to prove that the extra lining is detrimental.

What I would opine is that the trouble to fabricate bracing between opposing panels is not a waste - although not necessarily as elaborate as the full length interlocking holey braces that I've suckered myself into incorporating on taller designs such as the Pensils, aforementioned MTMs, etc.

Last edited by chrisb; 7th December 2014 at 07:03 PM.
Old 7th December 2014, 10:31 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The lining won't do any harm from an acoustic POV.
Old 16th December 2014, 07:51 AM   #6
kp93300 is offline kp93300  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

i have found that lining the inside of the rear panel with insulation used for air conditioning improves bass definition quite a lot. Bass becomes more tuneful , the start and stop of double bass is easier to appreciate
In my superpensil 12 P build, the rear panel insulation lining is about 4 to 5 cm thick.
Old 16th December 2014, 08:09 AM   #7
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Any pictures kp93300?
Old 16th December 2014, 09:46 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

The effects, as ever, vary with the material[s] used & what stuffing density is employed. Along with personal taste.
Old 16th December 2014, 02:54 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Can someone confirm the recommended stuffing density? I think I read .75/SF to 1#/SF, if I'm not mistaken. Is that correct? And run it to just above the top of the vent? Also, is polyester fiberfill from Joann's acceptable?
Old 16th December 2014, 03:34 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Joann's fiberfill will work. You still may need more or less than the recommended. It's always to taste anyway.

Hide this!Advertise here!