best drive for stereo speaker 5.6 litre

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I'm in a new project,an stereo speaker with two separate cabinets ,5,6lt each one. The amp will be a class d, as topping tp20 or similar. If its possible ,or better, i prefer a vented design. Thank you for your best fullrange drivers suggestion.thank you in advance for your useful comments

Hi,
I'm in a new project,an stereo speaker with two separate cabinets ,5,6lt each one. The amp will be a class d, as topping tp20 or similar. If its possible ,or better, i prefer a vented design. Thank you for your best fullrange drivers suggestion.thank you in advance for your useful comments

Hello Ben,
Thanks for posting. Please can you give more information on your room size and where you'd like to position your speakers. Feel free to post a pic of your room. Also what input source (CD player or other?). Also what styles of music do you play (classical, female vocal, jazz, house etc)?

Thanks
Mark.

Hello Mark,the room size is not important because the project is a kind of portable speaker to use in the kitchen,outside in the terrace or in the bbq,so places will be different .the imput will be my phone witth spotify pro,which has better qualitty than free. Music style will be pop,rock,vocal,almost every style but by my experiencie with this, sweet music sounds better in fullrange drivers than hard rock. This is my second project,the fisrt one was a litlle boombox with a lepai 2020 amp and two 3" drivers from tang band.the final sounds was great so i decided to go a step foward and design a bigger one with better components . Thanks

Hello Mark,the room size is not important because the project is a kind of portable speaker to use in the kitchen,outside in the terrace or in the bbq,so places will be different .the imput will be my phone witth spotify pro,which has better qualitty than free. Music style will be pop,rock,vocal,almost every style but by my experiencie with this, sweet music sounds better in fullrange drivers than hard rock. This is my second project,the fisrt one was a litlle boombox with a lepai 2020 amp and two 3" drivers from tang band.the final sounds was great so i decided to go a step foward and design a bigger one with better components . Thanks

Hi Ben,
I think you might be better using the metal coned CHR given the outdoors and kitchen usage (sunlight, moisture etc). I'd personally aim for 6 litres internal volume, ported myself. Other members might have alternatives, my guess is for an easy build set-up, similar ideas may be offered.

Cheers
Mark.

hi Mark,
yes i think CHr is enough, maybe put in this the alpair 6 is waste the money, isn't it?
in the case of chr70 with this internal volume ordenador 5,5lt: vented or sealed. in case to be vented which diameter, length and position do you think Will work?
thank again for your help

hi Mark,
yes i think CHr is enough, maybe put in this the alpair 6 is waste the money, isn't it?
in the case of chr70 with this internal volume ordenador 5,5lt: vented or sealed. in case to be vented which diameter, length and position do you think Will work?
thank again for your help

Hi Ben,

At present I'm not running any box design software that I can use on my Mac. I'd be tempted to use some of the on-line calculators to get the port length as a starting point.

At 5.5 litres volume, you'e likely to get a port frequency somewhere around 58Hz to 66Hz depending on diameter and length. For the port diameter, I recommend staying above 30mm. Anything smaller could cause noise. So 35mm to 40mm should work quite well.

You could consider investing in some box design software. For example:
https://www.trueaudio.com/win_abt1.htm
http://www.ht-audio.com/pages/BassBoxPro.html

There's also some free box design software options. A google search will reveal more.

There are regular members crunching these calcs more-so than me. My hope is they will advise you.

Thanks
Mark.

Last edited:
Ben: the CHR70 can work well in a sealed enclosure approx that size

http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/P10free/CGR-dCHR-Ken-301113.pdf

and the Alpair6 (either model IIRC) in vented

http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/P10free/mMar-Ken6-1v0-map-231009.pdf

(Ben - this second one will give you a general idea of the format Dave mentioned in the other thread - slot vented "milli" sized in his verancular)

I've built all of the above, and personally prefer the A6 over the CHR

There are probably similar designs for the new CHN70s that I've overlooked - I've note tried them yet in any enclosure - first will likely be the FH3 within the next few days - and when Dave gets around to finalizing drawing for the CHN70 version, I'll probably blast out a pair of those as well.

"any designs for these drivers"?

Careful what you wish for

Last edited:
To add to what Chris is saying: The MA Alpair 6p in the mFonk vented cabinet is outstanding. I have made, and listen to, the CHR70s (2 per cab) in the double-till design and enjoy them quite a bit. But the 6p's in the vented mFonk cabinet are really very special...the clarity of mids and highs are definitely a step up vs the CHR70s....but you can't go wrong with either...
Mario

Well , after draw the different solutions, I like the idea of the Alpair 6 with vented design that Crisb Gave me (thanks Chrisb) . More or less it feets in my design.
Another solutions will be the next step , the Alpair 7 in a Sealed box .(I read that it will work in a 5.6lt sealed)
What do you think its better for jazz, slowy music?
Thanks
PD: Alpair 10 is too much for my budget and even too much for this cabinets

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I like the idea of the Alpair 6 with vented design that Crisb Gave me (thanks Chrisb)

Note that for the newer A6.2p you leave the vent spacer out of that design.

Really quite some synergy happening. We have A6.2PeN in a set, i think that of the many drivers we have successfully set into a millSize box (FE127, FF105/125wk, EL70, CHR/CHP70, A7.x, 2 x FF85k, FE108eS, FE103A, more ... ) the A6p has the most synergy with that size box.

dave

So , the vented design you post doesn´t work will the alpair 6.2, isn´t it?
I´ll be searching for a vented design but I can´t find it . Dave , you said that "We have A6.2PeN in a set".Were can I find the drawings for this?Is vented or sealed?
Sorry , but I´m a little confused. I think I want to use the bigger and better driver in a 6lt enclosure to get the best sound , but I don´t know if this is rigth.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Benjamin,

ZYpur sketch still shows vent spacers at the ends of the slot, those are unnecessary, Here is a picture of our set:

253893d1323383828-minionken-fonken-picture-gallery-mmar-ken6p-red-comp.jpg

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.