best drive for stereo speaker 5.6 litre - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 21st November 2014, 08:55 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default best drive for stereo speaker 5.6 litre

Hi,
I'm in a new project,an stereo speaker with two separate cabinets ,5,6lt each one. The amp will be a class d, as topping tp20 or similar. If its possible ,or better, i prefer a vented design. Thank you for your best fullrange drivers suggestion.thank you in advance for your useful comments
Old 22nd November 2014, 12:10 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminit View Post
Hi,
I'm in a new project,an stereo speaker with two separate cabinets ,5,6lt each one. The amp will be a class d, as topping tp20 or similar. If its possible ,or better, i prefer a vented design. Thank you for your best fullrange drivers suggestion.thank you in advance for your useful comments
Hello Ben,
Thanks for posting. Please can you give more information on your room size and where you'd like to position your speakers. Feel free to post a pic of your room. Also what input source (CD player or other?). Also what styles of music do you play (classical, female vocal, jazz, house etc)?

Thanks
Mark.
Old 22nd November 2014, 04:28 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hello Mark,the room size is not important because the project is a kind of portable speaker to use in the kitchen,outside in the terrace or in the bbq,so places will be different .the imput will be my phone witth spotify pro,which has better qualitty than free. Music style will be pop,rock,vocal,almost every style but by my experiencie with this, sweet music sounds better in fullrange drivers than hard rock. This is my second project,the fisrt one was a litlle boombox with a lepai 2020 amp and two 3" drivers from tang band.the final sounds was great so i decided to go a step foward and design a bigger one with better components . Thanks
Old 22nd November 2014, 04:49 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hello Mark,the room size is not important because the project is a kind of portable speaker to use in the kitchen,outside in the terrace or in the bbq,so places will be different .the imput will be my phone witth spotify pro,which has better qualitty than free. Music style will be pop,rock,vocal,almost every style but by my experiencie with this, sweet music sounds better in fullrange drivers than hard rock. This is my second project,the fisrt one was a litlle boombox with a lepai 2020 amp and two 3" drivers from tang band.the final sounds was great so i decided to go a step foward and design a bigger one with better components . Thanks
Hi Ben,
I think you might be better using the metal coned CHR given the outdoors and kitchen usage (sunlight, moisture etc). I'd personally aim for 6 litres internal volume, ported myself. Other members might have alternatives, my guess is for an easy build set-up, similar ideas may be offered.

Cheers
Mark.
Old 22nd November 2014, 07:20 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

hi Mark,
yes i think CHr is enough, maybe put in this the alpair 6 is waste the money, isn't it?
in the case of chr70 with this internal volume ordenador 5,5lt: vented or sealed. in case to be vented which diameter, length and position do you think Will work?
thank again for your help
Old 23rd November 2014, 02:13 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
hi Mark,
yes i think CHr is enough, maybe put in this the alpair 6 is waste the money, isn't it?
in the case of chr70 with this internal volume ordenador 5,5lt: vented or sealed. in case to be vented which diameter, length and position do you think Will work?
thank again for your help
Hi Ben,

At present I'm not running any box design software that I can use on my Mac. I'd be tempted to use some of the on-line calculators to get the port length as a starting point.

At 5.5 litres volume, you'e likely to get a port frequency somewhere around 58Hz to 66Hz depending on diameter and length. For the port diameter, I recommend staying above 30mm. Anything smaller could cause noise. So 35mm to 40mm should work quite well.

You could consider investing in some box design software. For example:
https://www.trueaudio.com/win_abt1.htm
http://www.ht-audio.com/pages/BassBoxPro.html

There's also some free box design software options. A google search will reveal more.

There are regular members crunching these calcs more-so than me. My hope is they will advise you.

Thanks
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 23rd November 2014 at 02:18 AM.
Old 24th November 2014, 05:24 PM   #7
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Ben: the CHR70 can work well in a sealed enclosure approx that size

http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/P10fr...Ken-301113.pdf

and the Alpair6 (either model IIRC) in vented

http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/P10fr...map-231009.pdf

(Ben - this second one will give you a general idea of the format Dave mentioned in the other thread - slot vented "milli" sized in his verancular)

I've built all of the above, and personally prefer the A6 over the CHR

There are probably similar designs for the new CHN70s that I've overlooked - I've note tried them yet in any enclosure - first will likely be the FH3 within the next few days - and when Dave gets around to finalizing drawing for the CHN70 version, I'll probably blast out a pair of those as well.

"any designs for these drivers"?

Careful what you wish for

Last edited by chrisb; 24th November 2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old 24th November 2014, 06:00 PM   #8
toobhed is offline toobhed  United States
diyAudio Member

To add to what Chris is saying: The MA Alpair 6p in the mFonk vented cabinet is outstanding. I have made, and listen to, the CHR70s (2 per cab) in the double-till design and enjoy them quite a bit. But the 6p's in the vented mFonk cabinet are really very special...the clarity of mids and highs are definitely a step up vs the CHR70s....but you can't go wrong with either...
Mario
Old 24th November 2014, 06:09 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

thanks both for your help.I think,after reading your opinions that the alpair 6 vented is what i'm looking for.
Old 25th November 2014, 04:25 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Well , after draw the different solutions, I like the idea of the Alpair 6 with vented design that Crisb Gave me (thanks Chrisb) . More or less it feets in my design.
Another solutions will be the next step , the Alpair 7 in a Sealed box .(I read that it will work in a 5.6lt sealed)
What do you think its better for jazz, slowy music?
Thanks
PD: Alpair 10 is too much for my budget and even too much for this cabinets

Hide this!Advertise here!