Another measurement food fight - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 26th August 2014, 01:19 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Another measurement food fight

I am trying to do some updating on my web site. I did a bunch of graphs that I will be posting on my site. The first set are for the B10-A10, a 15l BR tuned to 45Hz. I used the A10P and the A10.3 in turn. Yes, they both work in the same box. Just for grins, here are the two drivers on the same plot. This is the 30* off axis response. I chose this for comparison because this is how I use my speakers. The speakers are square with the room and I am at the apex of an equilateral triangle, hence 30* off axis.

The blue trace is the A10P, the black the A10.3. Note that there isn't a dime's difference between the two below 1500Hz. The A10P stays flat until is takes a dip in the sibilance region. The A10.3 takes a nice slow fall-off until is kicks back up at the top.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B10-A10_Pair.jpg (84.7 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg Metal-vs-paper.jpg (83.4 KB, 260 views)
Old 26th August 2014, 02:17 AM   #2
doorman is offline doorman  Canada
diyAudio Member

As an aside, I like how you've incorporated the grilles, it's a nice integrated look.
Very nice package !
Old 26th August 2014, 02:20 AM   #3
BYRTT is online now BYRTT  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Thanks sharing the food, besides it's nice plot and speakers.
Attached is little screendump from your website Brines Acoustics with frequency response B10-A10, here the 30 blue line seems far from post #1.
Post #1 plot seems more marketing friendly ......
Attached Images
File Type: png BrinesFR.PNG (235.1 KB, 242 views)
Old 26th August 2014, 03:56 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post
I am trying to do some updating on my web site. I did a bunch of graphs that I will be posting on my site. The first set are for the B10-A10, a 15l BR tuned to 45Hz. I used the A10P and the A10.3 in turn. Yes, they both work in the same box. Just for grins, here are the two drivers on the same plot. This is the 30* off axis response. I chose this for comparison because this is how I use my speakers. The speakers are square with the room and I am at the apex of an equilateral triangle, hence 30* off axis.

The blue trace is the A10P, the black the A10.3. Note that there isn't a dime's difference between the two below 1500Hz. The A10P stays flat until is takes a dip in the sibilance region. The A10.3 takes a nice slow fall-off until is kicks back up at the top.

Bob
Hi Bob,
Many thanks for posting. Very interesting off-axis results from your box/driver combination. Both box/drivers look well behaved. Are we looking at raw driven data (no equalisation)? Or have you tweaked the input signal?

Thanks
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 26th August 2014 at 03:59 AM.
Old 26th August 2014, 11:35 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
As an aside, I like how you've incorporated the grilles, it's a nice integrated look.
Very nice package !
When I went to using 12mm BB as my main material (front and top doubled), I developed this style. Clean, retro, lots of WAF. A pair of these were ordered into the media room.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M10-A10.jpg (94.1 KB, 214 views)
Old 26th August 2014, 11:44 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRTT View Post
Thanks sharing the food, besides it's nice plot and speakers.
Attached is little screendump from your website Brines Acoustics with frequency response B10-A10, here the 30 blue line seems far from post #1.
Post #1 plot seems more marketing friendly ......
That plot will disappear today. It was done with the A10.2's that probably only had 50hrs on them. The new drivers are very well seasoned. The A10(M).3's in particular have been running 5hr a day, at least 5 days a week for 2 years.

The audiophile world is obsessed with on-axis plots, but nobody listens on axis. The vast majority of wide-range drivers have a rising response on axis, but go flat between 15* and 30*. That's were we listen to them. Why not emphasize that plot? Don't we really want a visual that gives some hint what we are going to hear?

Bob
Old 26th August 2014, 11:52 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
Are we looking at raw driven data (no equalisation)? Or have you tweaked the input signal?
No EQ. Straight off of the S&L Woofer Tester Pro to the amp -- a Dayton APA150. ~85dB at 1m, mic at 0.5m 1/48 octave smoothing, ungated impulse signal and all of the warts and reflections from my garage workshop. You will note that my shop absolutely eats bass when compared to the nearfield combined response.

The first graph is the A10(M).3, the second the A10P.1

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b10m_SPL.jpg (84.7 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg b10p_SPL.jpg (83.4 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by Bob Brines; 26th August 2014 at 11:56 AM.
Old 26th August 2014, 12:49 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks to Bob for making this effort.

Bob's recent results are pretty much what I'd expect to see in off-axis performance from Alpair 10 later series drivers. They remain stable across a wide frequency spectrum that covers the human hearing range + a little on top end (dependant upon the degree of off-axis placement).

Bob's makes allot of effort to measure his work, more than most Diyer's are likely to need or do. Along with other experienced senior forum members, the advice on offer is worthy of serious attention from beginners and those with less practice.

Bob's work and results demonstrate my driver design efforts and independently illustrate how Markaudio drivers function in typical box designs under domestic home-based conditions.

So I recommend keeping box designs relatively simple and avoid the need for filtering unless you have a particular need.

The rest is up to personal choice and particular needs.

Thanks
Mark

Last edited by markaudio; 26th August 2014 at 12:52 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!