ALPAIR 7P - launch - specs - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 23rd August 2014, 06:34 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp93300 View Post
Hi Mark,
I read the first post of this thread and would appreciate if you can highlight the differences between this speaker and 12P in superpensil.

For your info , I am super happy with the 12p in superpensil !! It makes the most realistic sound in my room despite very very modest partnering equipments.
In fact after hearing it, my friend has also bought one and near to completion. There is another potential sale for you from a hi fi dealer in my area !!

thanks

kp93300
Hi Kp,
Understood, your question on the differences between 12P and 12PW may be offered here (post 1):

ALPAI 12PW - Launch - specs

For greater elaboration on these specifics, please switch to the above thread. I'll do my best to explain further there.

Thanks
Mark.
Old 27th August 2014, 01:39 AM   #32
kp93300 is offline kp93300  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Hi Mark,
i mean the differences in sound between 12p and 7p other than sensitivity issues.
Do i get less bass, more flushed out mid and high with 7P?
I am a great fan of holographic and pin point imaging ?

cheers

kp93300
Old 27th August 2014, 02:17 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp93300 View Post
Hi Mark,
i mean the differences in sound between 12p and 7p other than sensitivity issues.
Do i get less bass, more flushed out mid and high with 7P?
I am a great fan of holographic and pin point imaging ?

cheers

kp93300
Yes, its a simple matter of physics,
Alpair 12P and 12PW: larger cone emitting surface = >mass = > air mass moved = > LF extension. Inverse = >losses in HF extension.

Reverse this for the smaller Alpairs.

I'm not sure exactly how "holographic" and "pin point" imaging is audibly measurable of technically defined, so not something upon which I can assist.

Markaudio drivers are known for their audible sensitivity due to their low mass design, for the their wide desperation (Bob's recent measurement thread illustrations et.al) and for their extended bass output due to their long-throw power-train design.

Hope this helps
Mark
Old 27th August 2014, 03:00 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Imaging, for the most part is exactly what the mixing engineer wants it to be. The vast majority of recordings are multi-track mix downs. The placement of an instrument or a singer is totally at the mercy of the engineer. If you hear an sound that is outside the speakers, it is because the engineer has played with the phasing of the sound and caused a faked response that you interpret as an extended sound stage. Depth of sound stage is also created by playing with the phasing.

Any decent single-driver speaker, and many multi-way speakers will reproduce the sound stage that is on the recording. If you want exaggerated sound stage/imaging, you need to spend more time choosing recordings than choosing speakers.

Bob
Old 27th August 2014, 03:21 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post
Imaging, for the most part is exactly what the mixing engineer wants it to be. The vast majority of recordings are multi-track mix downs. The placement of an instrument or a singer is totally at the mercy of the engineer. If you hear an sound that is outside the speakers, it is because the engineer has played with the phasing of the sound and caused a faked response that you interpret as an extended sound stage. Depth of sound stage is also created by playing with the phasing.

Any decent single-driver speaker, and many multi-way speakers will reproduce the sound stage that is on the recording. If you want exaggerated sound stage/imaging, you need to spend more time choosing recordings than choosing speakers.

Bob
Thanks for the update Bob,
Which is interesting.

For Full-Range and/or low mass drivers, whatever the source, being passive units, they can only reproduce the input signal, however that signal is constructed. Then for the driver designer, its a matter of controlling signal to output variances and minimising the amount of loss in the conversion process. Something I've that I've worked on a great deal to optimise and minimise over these past years.

Thanks
Mark

Last edited by markaudio; 27th August 2014 at 03:37 AM.
Old 27th August 2014, 03:58 AM   #36
kp93300 is offline kp93300  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

I am non technical but with 12p and live orchestral recording, i have illusion of sound coming from all corners of the room .
I believe part of the illusion arises from the excellent retrieval of low level sound echoes that is inherent in the music.
For instance, one can hear the decaying echoes from drum hit with 12p.

Hide this!Advertise here!