Amp Camp Kit with Markaudio drivers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 12th August 2014, 08:06 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Amp Camp Kit with Markaudio drivers

Hello Guys,
Last September, Jason (forum admin) and Mark C (forum editor "Variac" ) kindly sent me an Amp Camp kit, with a circuit designed by Nelson Pass. Owing to my recovering state of health, I hadn't quite got the steady hands needed to put this kit together. Anyway..........finally got the job done - see the 2 pics attached.

As kits go, its pretty simple. Here's a link that providing the help need to get them made:

ACA illustrated build guide

So I've got them up and running, mated to my Brian Cherry (Diy Hi-Fi Supply) Django passive pre-amp. Source is my Accuphase DP67, all feeding Alpair 10.3's in BR cabinets (thanks Dave D): Note I've reduced the height of this box to suit my limited space. Internal volume in my particular boxes = 14 litres.

Django+ Transformer Volume Control Preamplifier (kit)
DIY HiFi Supply - diyAudio
http://www.accuphase.com/cat/dp-67_e.pdf
http://wodendesign.com/downloads/sim...lan-100214.pdf

Listening impressions on This set-up

Music played:
1 - CD: Three Wishes ©Schtung Music Ltd 2005
2 - CD: At this time, Burt Bacharach © Sony BMG 2005
3 - CD: Gattaca, Michael Nyman © Jersey records - Columbia Pictures 1997
4 - CD Master: industry broadcast material-test tracks ©EMI 2009/10

Firstly, the 2 Amp Campers are plenty capable of driving 10.3's. These Mono's take a few minutes to get warm. Give them plenty of air as the cabinets run quite warm. The comparison is quite stiff, the little mono's were up against Kenneth's exotic transformered 300B tube amp and my beloved Accuphase E308. So how did the Amp-Campers measure up? They did surprisingly well!

These Amp Camp mono's are quite smooth, very neutral (on this set up) and match well with the Alp10.3's. Particularly noticeable is their ability to keep hold of the 10.3's agile long-throw power-train under heavier load, little (if any clipping evident).

The bass output is quite pleasing, while not as tight and controlled as the E308, its still a good effort form these diminutive mono's. The bass is well balanced and natural to the ear.

Mid-range and vocals (male so far) is very pleasant. What's particularly pleasing is the retained smooth output, nothing here to "frighten the horses" with any over-blown harshness. Vocal sibilance is a little more noticeable compared to Kenneth's 300B while the E308 delivers extra dynamics, but so they should given the large price differentials. However, I can commend these little mono's to anyone who wants an "easy relaxed" listening experience on vocals.

High range is well controlled, perhaps a tad rolled off on some tracks that I'm familiar, while others illicit a slight sharpness on triangle for example. But its nothing extreme or unpleasant. Overall, the high range makes for a very pleasant musical experience, nothing to complain of.

Overall:
I'd thoroughly recommend this kit. Partner these Amp Camps with decent pre-amplificaton and source as they deserved them. They are very easy-to-live-with power amps, just the ticket for longer listening sessions. My congratulations to Nelson Pass, I gather this enterprise is his circuit design effort. Certainly the Alp 10.3's are happy to be fed by these Amps Camps.

More later as and when time permits to run more source and pre-amp permutations.

Cheers
Mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amp-camp-1.jpg (88.4 KB, 643 views)
File Type: jpg amp-camp-2.jpg (92.7 KB, 637 views)

Last edited by Variac; 29th August 2014 at 07:38 AM.
Old 12th August 2014, 09:30 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,
Now playing female vocals on the Amp Camps (Dr, Nina Simone et.al), delicious!
Cheers
Mark.
Old 13th August 2014, 04:53 PM   #3
StevenZ is offline StevenZ  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the write-up, Mark!
Old 14th August 2014, 03:43 PM   #4
toobhed is offline toobhed  United States
diyAudio Member

I agree, Mark. The amp-camp-amp fires up most my new speaker builds and sounds especially good with your drivers. I used the ACA to power 12P pencils at burning amp last year with great results. I'm almost finished with a 10P bass reflex build and will audition by next week with ACA.
Regards,
Mario
Old 14th August 2014, 05:29 PM   #5
zman01 is online now zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Thanks for sharing Mark.
Old 17th August 2014, 04:15 PM   #6
Lerg is offline Lerg  Canada
diyAudio Member

I rather like mine, haven't put it on the 10.3 yet, but it was pretty wonderful with the CHR70 Gen3.
Old 17th August 2014, 11:18 PM   #7
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

If the "yet" means there's definitely a pair or two of 10.3 lurking on your horizon, I think you'd be a very happy "camper"
Old 20th August 2014, 06:11 AM   #8
Lerg is offline Lerg  Canada
diyAudio Member

"Yet" means that I have a pair of 10.3s in the bass reflex box that in Mark's very post, undergoing break in. They aren't so much lurking as they are waiting around the corner to pounce. No pictures though, the use of raw veneer didn't go that well, good enough to keep though.
Maybe one day they will get a prettier cabinet, right after I lose my marbles and build a CNC router.

Either way, those ACA units are pretty sweet, the red finish is pretty nice too. Maybe if I get around to it I will try it out on the twin EL70.
Old 22nd August 2014, 06:32 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Regrettably I cannot find a source to purchase these kits, I hope maybe they will start making them soon.
Old 22nd August 2014, 11:00 PM   #10
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

well, as they are a diyAudio store offering, perhaps the proprietor thereof could update status - with Mark's recent post, I'd be surprised if other folks weren't interested as well

could be following the Bottlehead business model? - i.e. usually prepay and wait - which is fine if the vendor is trustworthy ( I never had a problem with Doc or the Queen), and you know that going in

Hide this!Advertise here!