North American order (Madisound) July 2014 - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 29th July 2014, 12:23 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Looking forward to it and take care of yourself.
Old 29th July 2014, 02:08 AM   #22
mikje is offline mikje  United States
Soakin' up the Sound!
diyAudio Member

Mark,
FWIW, I'm a big fan of your speakers ans workmanship. I haven't got nearly enough knowledge to debate anyone on the physics involved in a loudspeaker. I do have enough experience to stand firm on what sounds good to me. Your speakers are my favorite of those available in my price range. I appreciate your contributions to the DIY community and to my own collection of speakers. I'm looking forward to the arrival of your latest shipment.
Thanks again for all you do and best wishes with your health issues.
A MarkAudio fan,
Mike
Old 29th July 2014, 02:25 PM   #23
BYRTT is online now BYRTT  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
Is Mark no longer going to publish measurement data? I know there has been some turmoil about this particular subject recently. It would be interesting to see the info on the new models.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
..........I measure drivers dutifully in an anechoic environment with a professional lab class mics..........
If time/money allow future measurement could be supported with a measurement same setup/position as the pro but with typical diy cheaper laptop/mic/software as a page two plot and what to expect. If the pro environment will compromise some manufacture knowledge not to be released public the pro/cheap setup could be done in typical office or living room environment. Could maybe ease both sides...

Last edited by BYRTT; 29th July 2014 at 02:38 PM.
Old 29th July 2014, 02:52 PM   #24
doorman is offline doorman  Canada
diyAudio Member

Another satisfied MA user here. If it sounds good, it is good. Best of luck with your health.
Old 29th July 2014, 02:59 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

The problem is, it depends....

The results you get depend to a great deal on how good the measuring system is, and in the DIY world that means free if possible and the lowest cost if not. All of the free stuff I have seen requires some sort of jig for impedance measurements and the jig is the most troublesome part of the equation. The cheap DATS thing from Parts Express seems to have sever stability problems. I can remember all of the horrors of trying to use Speaker Workshop. I have only somewhat better luck with SoundEasy, but again it was jig problems. I wound up with Woofer Tester Pro, which is anything but cheap, but it plugs and plays with no hassles.

Beyond the equipment, unfortunately, only a very minor percent of DIY'ers understand the consequences of taking measurements in a reverberant environment. It is amusing that some demand unsmoothed FR plots, but then are forced to use gating, which smooths the plot.

OK, we are on the MA forum. Why bother measuring Mark's drivers? Using the published data always produce a box that matches the model. I just do a quick IMP plot to assure that the driver is not damaged. Same goes for that huge company that starts with "F". You will never come close to matching their data, but the box always matches the model. You just need to know your manufacturer.

Bottom line: Mark's measurements taken in his living room are not going to be any more helpful that those taken in the anechoic chamber, more likely less so.

Bob
Old 29th July 2014, 05:23 PM   #26
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

brilliant summation, counselor
Old 29th July 2014, 05:30 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Comment your last line Bob Brines and thanks taking time. I don't mean living room should be more helpful than anechoic chamber, i mean when pro setup measurement is going on no matter where location then with a typical diy cheaper measurement setup gear do exactly same measurement. Then publish the non pro result either as a page two or in another color on same plot as an what to espect for none pro measurement. The non pro setup devices/programs could also be published example Laptop model/Sound device model/Microphone model/Measuring software. Seems relative cheap effort to cancel misunderstandings and get drivers out for right application and audience. Many defended the known A7.3 measurement as being a expected/known plot, above could for future rule out that misunderstanding if non pro measurement plot published.
PS Think my DATS unit run until futher .
Old 29th July 2014, 05:44 PM   #28
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post
I just do a quick IMP plot to assure that the driver is not damaged.
That, and to give me data to match pairs (drivers being matched need to be measured in the same session) is all i do as well.

dave
Old 29th July 2014, 07:48 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
That, and to give me data to match pairs (drivers being matched need to be measured in the same session) is all i do as well.

dave
"is all i do" guessing without really knowing, can we add a loved more or less life long library of knowledge/experience in driver/speakers

Last edited by BYRTT; 29th July 2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 29th July 2014, 10:45 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,
For the record, I'm glad guys do home testing and measurement. I really don't have any problem with it, provided rational sense is applied.

An anechoic environment where a driver is tested on a baffle is only likely to be accurate for that single purpose i.e. a driver on its baffle. Automatically assuming results from other test setups should/must match those from anechoic baffle testing is an error.

A non-anechoic environment will likely effect results so some latitude has to be applied when making judgements on driver and/or system performance.

The best final testing and tweaking anyone can do is with their ears, with the system they've built in the room in which they want to listen.

In the years I've been doing my work, I've made prototypes with flat mill-pond like responses that sound horrible, prototypes with yo-yo responses that sound great, prototypes with flat mill-pond responses that sound great and prototypes with yo-yo responses that sound terrible. Its why I do my best to listen to members and end-users. Its why I do allot of local group listening events and why late last year I did allot of travelling meeting Diyaudio members in Canada, USA, Australia, N.Z and recently the UK.

On a personal note, I was heartened to meet these members in the spirit of friendship, as I'm not certain if I'll be able to meet them again. Rest assured I'm working with friends and good colleagues on succession planning as I hope most folks want Markaudio have a long term future.

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 29th July 2014 at 10:50 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!