Alpair 7P developments - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 30th June 2014, 09:44 AM   #11
doug01n is offline doug01n  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Mark, what is the main differences of this drivers when compared to the metal 7.3? I have just bought a pair of 7.3 and I'm loving it.

Reading the first post, the 7P moved the high peak to 19khz and up, with the same Fo of 70Hz, but what about the musical differences? What to expect from these new drivers?
Old 4th July 2014, 03:53 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Any ideas as to when the 7p might be available, as a production unit, in Canada?
Old 4th July 2014, 04:51 PM   #13
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Phil - keep in mind that once packed for shipment to Madisound and other NA resellers, it is literally a slow boat from China, I think you can usually rely on at least 6 weeks
Old 4th July 2014, 05:02 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

doug:

As the designer and engineer, Mark will have his own comments, but if I may be allowed a personal, subjective observation - based on recent experience with the latest generation of Alpair10s - i.e. both 10.3 metals and 10P paper, I find the latter to be smoother and perhaps softer throughout the mids, while the former are very highly detailed and seemed to take far longer to fully "settle -in / open up" . Could be raging tinnitus that predisposes my preference - with the exception of the A7.3, I tend to find the papers more relaxing.

Then, while not exactly part of your question, there are the differences in enclosure volumes and damping/tuning that might be required, depending on design / alignment.
Old 25th July 2014, 11:12 PM   #15
Squeak is online now Squeak  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Why is the bonding material pattern sixway symmetric, that is four lines? Wouldn't three or five lines be better?
Old 28th July 2014, 11:59 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
Why is the bonding material pattern sixway symmetric, that is four lines? Wouldn't three or five lines be better?
Hi Squeak,
I'm not sure why you've phrased your comment in the way you have. It somehow implies that I haven't applied my years of knowledge and application to this aspect of cone design.

Allot of applied and experimental measured effort went into the 7P's cone. This included a number of variations on re-enforcement patterning. Bonding type/mix, bond mass, bond viscosity, positioning to cone neck, bonding lengths and more; Allot of time to get the result we needed.

However, should you have specific knowledge on cone design that could add to the knowledge base, its welcomed.

Thanks
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 2nd August 2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 2nd August 2014, 10:34 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Dear Mark/guys,

Is there an option to pre-order the 7p?

Thanks
Charles
Old 3rd August 2014, 08:57 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Charles, I think that would depend on your particular reseller's policy
Old 3rd August 2014, 09:43 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Charles, I think that would depend on your particular reseller's policy
That would be Madisound, actually. They don't have the 7P in their listings, that's for sure, maybe they don't do pre-orders at all..
Back when i ordered my 12Ps, they had long been available, so that's a different story altogether.
Old 3rd August 2014, 10:18 PM   #20
Squeak is online now Squeak  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
Hi Squeak,
I'm not sure why you've phrased your comment in the way you have. It somehow implies that I haven't applied my years of knowledge and application to this aspect of cone design.

Allot of applied and experimental measured effort went into the 7P's cone. This included a number of variations on re-enforcement patterning. Bonding type/mix, bond mass, bond viscosity, positioning to cone neck, bonding lengths and more; Allot of time to get the result we needed.

However, should you have specific knowledge on cone design that could add to the knowledge base, its welcomed.

Thanks
Mark.
Edit: Not sure whether my last post was deleted or not posted so here it is again with what I possible think could have caused offense removed:
Don't read so much into my words. I was only curious. Of course you have experimented the hell out of the design and used all your expertise.
Good? Regards ;-)

Last edited by Squeak; 3rd August 2014 at 10:22 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!