Current Break-in Recommendations?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm trying to confirm break-in recommendations for MarkAudio drivers. In teh not distant past, critical break-in was the first 24 hours at low volume followed by gradually increasing volume to the 100 hour point. Then the driver could be operated normally within some reasonable sound levels.

Another description calls for gentle operation for 100 hours.

Recently, Mark has indicated that the first 100 hours should include only low volume music. General/vocals with modest bass. Minimal cone movement. Then 100 - 300 hours, gradually increase the load to normal listening levels or around 80dB, peaks not exceeding 86dB. 300 - 500 hours care needs to be observed, go easy on the volume. After 500 hours, normal operation.

I can easily find all these descriptions in this forum and on driver descriptions.

So is the break-in period 4 days or three weeks? Inquiring minds want to know. (I have a pair of 10.3m chugging away to Telarc Vivaldi Four Seasons in Pensils at low volume.)

so, what, you guys are saying break-in is real? I'm still struggling with the cognitive dissonance of reconciling all the expert opinion on the web exactly the opposite with my own experience :D

seriously, when Mark or one of his legion of web-bots has the time, maybe his notes / white papers on the subject could be posted as a "sticky"?

I've been running my various Mark Audio drivers with a powered Subwoofer. Fresh out of the box I set the crossover point high, 200hz, and let em rip (within reason). I lower the crossover point in stages as the hours accumulate to allow for more and more excursion.

With a 200hz crossover, they tend to get rather loud with little (can't really see it) cone travel.

Of course this technique only works if you run bass support.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
so, what, you guys are saying break-in is real? I'm still struggling with the cognitive dissonance of reconciling all the expert opinion on the web exactly the opposite with my own experience :D

seriously, when Mark or one of his legion of web-bots has the time, maybe his notes / white papers on the subject could be posted as a "sticky"?

I'm skeptical of the break-in as well, but Mark is pretty adamant about it. Last I commented about break-in, Mark did commit to posting some data and/or white papers documenting the effects of break-in. I'm definitely curious to see actual hard data on this.

~Tom

I'm skeptical of the break-in as well, but Mark is pretty adamant about it. Last I commented about break-in, Mark did commit to posting some data and/or white papers documenting the effects of break-in. I'm definitely curious to see actual hard data on this.

~Tom

Hi Tom, Guys.

Tom makes a common error of assuming that all (nearly all) drivers are somehow designed/made the same. There's some good reason for thinking this way as allot of drivers are made to handle power. Their power-trains aren't likely to vary very much on typical service loads regardless of being run-in.

I design and make Markaudio drivers to markedly different specifications. They are low-mass, long throw designs with extended compliance suspensions, very different audio animals. Take a look at the pic of an Alpair 10 spider, gives you more than a hint regarding its involved design, manufacturing and operating tolerances. When some quiet time eventually shows itself, I'll sit down, go through our data sets and attempt a balance between illustration without giving away tradecraft.

In the meantime, please run-in Markaudio drivers. If you remain skeptical on this issue in specific relation to Markaudio units, better to buy commercial type drivers with mass heavy power-trains. These drivers are more designed for your needs.

Thanks
Mark.

Attachments

• Alp10-spider.jpg
    Alp10-spider.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 170
Hi Guys,
I'l look to do a revised sticky soonest, re run-in as we've 3 new driver models coming on stream. Apologies but much as I've tried, I've not been able to recover my pre-surgery energy levels as regards my health.

For the current models, running them at low volumes for the first 100 hours will largely suffice. Easy listening music and modest volumes, the cones should just tick, the odd slight movement on a low note are good indicators you're doing well with the break-in.

Some members like to extract the absolute best from their drivers, so may wish to extend the running in period with gradual increases in loads.

Others like Bob R have a pretty good take (wife's TV soaps) as a couple of weeks of variable moderate loads using the TV is likely fine.

I know some like to run them in their packing boxes. Please remember to remove the inner foam packing avoiding the risk of heat retention in the coil chamber.

Hope this helps.
Thanks
Mark.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.