Markaudio SPLo efficiency or sensitivity? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 23rd May 2014, 11:51 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Markaudio SPLo efficiency or sensitivity?

It is not clear to me how Markaudio drivers are rated for their SPL output. Are the specifications shown in the data sheets derived from measuring at one meter distance, and are they based on the "1W" method or the "2.83V" method? Are different methods used for different drivers?

I need to know before I choose a bass driver to complement my A10Ps in a FAST construction. If any DIYer has himself measured SPL output on the A10P specifically, please share your results. Thanks to anyone who can help.
Old 23rd May 2014, 02:57 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by majerjack View Post
It is not clear to me how Markaudio drivers are rated for their SPL output. Are the specifications shown in the data sheets derived from measuring at one meter distance, and are they based on the "1W" method or the "2.83V" method? Are different methods used for different drivers?

I need to know before I choose a bass driver to complement my A10Ps in a FAST construction. If any DIYer has himself measured SPL output on the A10P specifically, please share your results. Thanks to anyone who can help.
T/S parameters are via LMS V4 sweep test @ 2.83V
Old 23rd May 2014, 05:55 PM   #3
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

MJ: Mark has answered the one question, but I'd pose one in reply - how are you planning to XO your FAST/2-ways? PLLXO and active -dedicated plate amp or some spare beater for the woofer(s)- (any DIYer worth his salt must have half a dozen amps kicking around awaiting such recruitment ), and HP filter to the main amp will provide a tremendous amount of flexibility in matching in situ levels - you can just strike matching driver sensitivity off your design task list - as any married guy will tell you, the shorter the honey-do list, the better. .

Just do some pricing on cost of quality components for passive speaker level XO at the frequencies generally considered for this type of application.While theoretically the sonics of cheap passive LP filters for the woofers in say the sub 150Hz range might not be a huge issue, I don't think the same can be said for the bulk of the bandwidth over which the 10Ps would be operating.
Old 24th May 2014, 01:49 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Mark. Much appreciated.

Chris, thank you for your suggestions. I have not yet decided on the question of speaker-level or line-level crossover, but I like to know all my options, thus the need for SPL info.
Old 26th May 2014, 09:54 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

If you do indeed have a spare amp, or plan to purchase one for this project, may I suggest a MiniDSP? This would allow you to experiment with the crossover you design, and in the future, if and when you upgrade, it may be useable in other projects.

When you consider the cost of a pair of quality passive crossovers, it may be no more expensive to go with an active solution... If you have 4 channels of power.

Something to think about.
Old 26th May 2014, 10:10 PM   #6
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertburchell View Post

When you consider the cost of a pair of quality passive crossovers, it may be no more expensive to go with an active solution... If you have 4 channels of power.

sorta been a mantra of mine for the past couple of years - indeed for those with extra amps kicking around, the greatest cost in a dedicated PLLXO can be the case and RCA jacks

If I didn't just acquire the Onkyo receiver with digital XO/biamp feature, I might yet experiment with some variant of miniDSP - the nanoAVR looks particularly interesting.

Hide this!Advertise here!