Using 12P's as studio monitors.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Guys,

Pretty new here.
I'm interested to hear your thoughts on using 12P's in a bookshelf as studio monitors.
I'm really liking the idea of adding a full range speaker in the studio to see how it goes.

I'm thinking the 12's would be best just as at the studio some times I need to crack it up a little more for clients and i'll have that extra headroom. Do you think the 12's will handle everything from metal to orchestral well?

Cheers Guys

I have yet to meet a MA driver I didn't like, but I don't do metal or German Romantics. MA drivers are for subtle, not loud. But the, an A7.3 over a 12" sealed sub, Linkwitz transform, proper room EQ and the whole nine yards is a different story. This will pound and blow the windows out!

An A12P in a bookshelf speaker? I think not.

Bob

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the responses.
I already have 2 sets of monitors in the studio.
A nice soffit mounted 3-way and a MTM book shelf made by Truth audio.
I'm just looking to add something that I can use to really hear what's going on in the mid range of recordings and like the idea of just one speaker showing it off.

Maybe I should look at a bookshelf set of alpair 7's?

I think full-range drivers can have their place in studio work. Both full-range and multi-ways are a series of compromises, and having a pair of each may allow a sound engineer to better understand what is going on in his/her mixes.

As far as the using the 12p in a monitor, it could be a fine candidate but would require a rather large cabinet to get the extension you may want in a monitor. I would personally look at some other options, some of which could be found in the Mark Audio line.

Cheers

I've made a couple of sets of studio monitors using twin A7s, the mids are fantastic. Listening tests were very positive against dynaudio and Genelec and ATC in a London studio. Getting a balanced tonal response from small boxes has been proving a challenge, though a little DSP can overcome that, so plate amps can tick all the boxes for an active build.

The linkwitz transform with a sealed woofer might be better, but you still have to look at passive crossovers. I would be interested to hear opinions on Linkwitz transform vs DSP in terms of cost/time/versatility/SQ etc

7.3 as nearfield monitor is super sweet.

I have a pair of MA 7.3 I put into a rear-ported generic 20 l. cab - no special treatments or measures other than cutting the port to the right size. I use them for monitoring in my small home studio at 3-5 ft. and have been very pleased with them. the midrange detail is amazing, and nearfield it has not been any problem to play as loud as I ever want to (about 70-85 dB). Bass response is good enough with wall reinforcement alone, and the transducers can play rock, electronica! and folkier stuff without damage (yet, at least - about 10 mos).

I think they compare very favorably to similar size powered studio monitors, and they have displaced my mackies. I still like some selah two-way with ribbon tweets, but I use those much less. I feel like I'd have to play through "normal" consumerish speakers to be sure that mixes translate well to the real world.

For the low cost, wow, super-fabulous - and it has got me very interested in the single source thing. I'm building Dave et al's FH XL for home listening - just not done yet.

Mark has some small BR cabinets he uses with the A-10s. Search the message archives for more info. Those would probably be very good studio monitors.

I was serious about the A-7s as studio monitors. Especially at 3 - 4 ft. Laugh all you want, but the A-7s in good BR cabinets at that distance would produce plenty of SPLs and adequate bass.

I'm currently listening to A-7.3 Pencils at about 6 - 7 ft. Speaker and seating position are critical, but there is plenty of deep bass (not 32 ft organ pipes, plenty for Telarc bass drums) and SPLs as high as I would normally listen. No image or soundstage collapse, no congestion. Any louder and the I would not enjoy it and the drivers would start to break up.

Ever actually measure those SPL?

Those of us running Pensil7s are smiling with you, but no-one's laughing

There was a LOL in response to an earlier post. :rolleyes:

I haven't tried to measure the SPLs. I also haven't tried to measure frequency response, but as I indicated earlier, it's good enough to not feel like I have to run subs. But I have to emphasize that room placement of both the speakers and the listening position are critical.

Measurements are nice, but there are just times when everything is just "right" regardless of measurements.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.