CHR 70.3 high pass filter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everybody,

New user here requesting a bit of assistance. I have a pair of Mark Audio CHR 70.3 drivers mounted in frugal horns that I have been enjoying very much for the past few months. I have recently purchased a subwoofer to pair with the speakers and wanted to construct a high pass filter to better integrate the two. My amplifier does not have a built in active crossover (which I know is ideal) so I am planning to build a simple 6 db/oct crossover for each speaker at ~100 HZ using capacitors. I just wanted to check with some more experienced DIY'ers to see if I was calculating the capacitance correctly since my last attempt at this ended in failure. I used the Frequency vs. Impedance charts provided for the drivers to determine that the impedance at 100 HZ is roughly 15 ohms. Then using C = 1/(2Πfr), found the capacitance to be ~106 μF. Somehow I feel like this is way too simple and that I’ve overlooked something. Has anyone else attempted this? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Andrew

Hi Dave, thanks for the quick response. I knew it wasn't going to be that easy! Do you have any recommendations to filter out the lower frequency tones? I bought the subwoofer to add a bit of rumble while watching movies and I am a bit concerned that I could damage the drivers if I turn up the volume a little too much. I have been considering just buying an A/V receiver to overcome this problem since they have built in crossovers and subwoofer pre-outs but was wondering if there are any cheaper solutions I should consider first.
Thanks,
Andrew

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Unfortunately there is no easy way out. A pre-amp in frontwith a PLLXO in front of your currentamp. A new AV reeiver with all that built-in. Basically any way to put a line level XO into the audio stream such that the woofer gets a FR signal (assumming it has its own XO) and your existing amp (or replacement) gets the filtered stream

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.