Pensil 10P's / 2 watts tube

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
careful now, this could descend into another round of "wire gauge - does it make a difference, and why?"

then there folks who'd opine that the mass of metal involved in terminals and/or spades/plugs, etc can have as much or even more of a deleterious sonic effect than the gauge or "oxygen purity" of the wire itself - not that any of them would be inclined to pipe in here :D

I like to use the cheapest/lightest gauge binding posts I can find, and Pomona or similar dual banana plugs for convenience of quick swapping. Wire? - anything from single strand of CAT5 sourced #24 solid to hardware store house brand #18 stranded zip cord. I've owned Fulton, Polk Cobra, Linn K40 & K400 bi-wire, QED, Levinson, custom solid silver #20, and a $hit load of cables I can't even remember - it's the last thing in the system I'd get spendy with or fret over.

Yeah, the 10P are pretty easy to fall in love with - nothing's perfect, but I find it does so many things well, and its "failures" are very forgivable. Too bad mrs B can't say the same about her husband

Last edited:
Ha Ha, Don't want to start a cable war. :) I just noticed a difference in wire. I bought some nice binding posts. Now I'm going to get another type of wire and drill the backs of the cabs so I can run the wire direct to the outside binding post hookup. This way I can run the cables direct to the driver and not pass through the post itself.

I still haven't put the finish on the cabs. :) Having too much fun!

Here's what I use. It is both a joke and a practical set of cables. The cable is built around a 1/2" vinyl tube covered with nylon mesh. I looks like the kind of fire hose cables that are so prevalent at audio shows. Inside is a single pair of CAT5 wires. Of course, a pair of CAT5 wires is my favorite cable for low power speakers. For my subs, I need to find something a bit bigger. I am currently running 16ga zip cord. I think I will settle on 12-14ga 3-wire extension cord and wrap it in nylon mesh.

Attachments

• Faked Cables.jpg
    Faked Cables.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 314
Fully agree here with Bob.

Low power speakers - less conductors. You can get away with 2 - 24ga wires per polarity

High power speakers - my own rule of thumb is 12ga min. (as per experience)

Here's what I use. It is both a joke and a practical set of cables. The cable is built around a 1/2" vinyl tube covered with nylon mesh. I looks like the kind of fire hose cables that are so prevalent at audio shows. Inside is a single pair of CAT5 wires. Of course, a pair of CAT5 wires is my favorite cable for low power speakers. For my subs, I need to find something a bit bigger. I am currently running 16ga zip cord. I think I will settle on 12-14ga 3-wire extension cord and wrap it in nylon mesh.

I don't have 100 hrs. on the 10P's yet. I can say the SQ is very good already. I've been rotating the Tube amp and TPA3116. With the tubes the mid's are very detailed and non fatiguing. With the TPA3116/6N3 tube pre combo the mids aren't as sweet as the tube amp. Where the TPA shines is stronger bass and overall dynamics.

With either amp the 10P's image very well. I have about 80 hrs. on them and still haven't put the finish on. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.