The ultimate FAST build?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
These little beauties are going to be placed on front of a pair of Carfrae Big Horns and Little Big Horns on the 15th, some 12p's also if they actually arrive in time for me to knock up another set of baffles.

So the Alpairs meet Lowther DX4's, David and Goliath all over again?

The Horns themselves belong to Jim and Leonard who produced them, so much is at stake :D I've also been given the nod to produce them again, so get your orders in quick. Alpairs as stock of course.

Will keep you posted if there's anyone out there interested.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    767.8 KB · Views: 534
should be "very interesting" as Arte Johnson would say - but not so shtupid

since I think it's fair to say the proprietor of this forum supports the position of "driver break-in" my only concern about the 12Ps would be that if delivery schedule is tight, they might not be at their best for fair appraisal

The biggest surprise was how well the A7 did, especially it terms of bass. We actually had to turn the sub off and EQ the signal to tone down the LF. The fellows were most surprised. The downside of this was that the Beautiful HF of the A7 was overwhelmed and it didn't show it's best in that regard. Jim reckoned, that had time been available, some stuffing in the throat would have addressed the tonal imbalance quite well.

Upshot? If you have a horn of this type, better adapted to the parameters of the driver, you will not need additional support from extra woofers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    571.8 KB · Views: 289
The pensils had some time on the floor. They got some good feedback, which from these lowther devotees was rewarding. Have to say though, Big Horns and equipment that's been developed bespoke over 25years, was breathtaking. For £25,000 worth of kit, you'd expect to be impressed :p, I said it was a lap of honor for the pensils, couple of hundred quid and some elbow grease.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    975.4 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
The pensils had some time on the floor. They got some good feedback, which from these lowther devotees was rewarding. Have to say though, Big Horns and equipment that's been developed bespoke over 25years, was breathtaking. For £25,000 worth of kit, you'd expect to be impressed :p, I said it was a lap of honor for the pensils, couple of hundred quid and some elbow grease.

Hi Lorien,
Good to read this feedback and congrats on the Pensil project, looks fab. One wonders how 10P's would have stacked up in the comparison (just curious).

Cheers
Mark.

Thanks Mark, appreciated.

Had hoped to have my 12p's in my hands, but they are still en route from Canada. Since end of January :mad:

A pair of 10p MAOP (En?) would have been my first choice, but I think I'll wait until the 12p's are in their Avebury enclosures before I think about another project. However, I should be back down to Totness soonish to pick up the molds to creat the Big/little horns, so feel free to post a pair and I'll do you a write up :rolleyes:

I would be very interested to hear a properly aligned Alpair in the little big horns, the bass was remarkable in quantity, though a little boomy. But the potential for a stellar marriage is definitely there, Jim reckoned it was a mater of how, not if.

I'm keen, although I'm not exactly SW anymore.

The Horns are in Totnes and I'm not sure I'm ready for another 4 hour drive to hear them again. Next time I head down it will be to pick up the molds to be able to build them myself, that's well worth the time :)

But I'm up for gathering ears and hearing different builds. I can bring the pensils and a set of twin A7 monitors. F5 amp if anyone's interested.

I'd be keen to hear some paper drivers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.