CHS70 - Frame development - Feedback please - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 14th March 2014, 11:46 PM   #51
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys

I think this thread has pretty much run its course. There appears to be a consensus on the CHS frame as being useful.

There's interesting ideas on grilles which could be a separate thread for those who'd like to start it and make posts.

Thanks
Mark.
Old 19th September 2014, 12:13 AM   #52
diyAudio Member

I got a call from a guy that had a issue with his expensive custom built speakers the other day, Funny how it leads me back to a question i had myself about mounting drivers.Apparently the screw holes are stripped, after many removals because of issues he had with cross-overs,rubber surround replacements etc. If the screw holes are back far enough from the edge and the baffle is a quality ply product, simply gluing in some toothpics or such is a easy fix but when you blow through the edge the repair becomes more complicated.

A year ago when i started building speakers it was clear that i wanted to build furniture grade enclosures that would last 100 years. knowing that they would likely outlast the drivers, concern about supply was a question but offering a replacement pair as a--warranty or something was talked about.

Mark as a furniture maker i would still love to see a front flange (excuse me terminology) 1/2" larger or even 3/8" in diameter to bring that screw well clear the cut-out.
probably to much to change and then theres the look but it makes re threading that hole after numerous removals so much easier

JUST MY 2 LOONIES WORTH
paul

Last edited by paul burchell; 19th September 2014 at 12:18 AM.
Old 19th September 2014, 01:33 AM   #53
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

You got grand kids kicking around to deal wit the "out of warranty" service come the dawn if the next century?
Old 23rd September 2014, 08:16 AM   #54
diyAudio Member

We just finished repairing speakers where the screws blewout into the cutout. They had a 5 figure price tag to, guess pride in workmenship isn't that important ever at $16000 a pair.

Do it right the first time cause fixing f***-ups is a pain
Old 23rd September 2014, 09:38 AM   #55
diyAudio Member

I would buy a round magnetic grill with every driver i bought i don't like the cloth square/rectangular ones and if the customer wants to remove it any damage to the cone is on him or her not me
Old 23rd September 2014, 01:40 PM   #56
diyAudio Member

You mean like this?

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Round Grill.jpg (70.8 KB, 101 views)
Old 23rd September 2014, 02:21 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

Id prefer metal mesh
Old 23rd September 2014, 05:54 PM   #58
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Paul, for sturdy protection, I'd tend to agree with the metal mesh. As it so happens, I've just finished building a little car audio sub-woofer box for a Rockford Fosgate 10" driver. It includes a very nice arrangement for accessory mesh grille that is captured by a heavy cast dress bezel that mounts over the generous tabbed mounting flange. Not an inexpensive combination, but very nicely executed. These drivers are quite nicely machined overall.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 24th September 2014, 11:19 AM   #59
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Paul, for sturdy protection, I'd tend to agree with the metal mesh. As it so happens, I've just finished building a little car audio sub-woofer box for a Rockford Fosgate 10" driver. It includes a very nice arrangement for accessory mesh grille that is captured by a heavy cast dress bezel that mounts over the generous tabbed mounting flange. Not an inexpensive combination, but very nicely executed. These drivers are quite nicely machined overall.

Click the image to open in full size.
That looks like a well executes grill setup! I wonder if something similar could whipped up for Marks Alpair drivers which use the removable trim rings; perhaps using the rings as a way to hold a thin metal mesh in place.
Old 24th September 2014, 01:48 PM   #60
diyAudio Member

Would that not make them permanent ?

Hide this!Advertise here!