CHS70 - Frame development - Feedback please - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 3rd March 2014, 04:39 PM   #31
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorienblack View Post
A bit blue peter, but this took 5mins. Magnets attach to the screw heads and the cloth is an old set of boxers. But when the idea hit me I had to grab what was close to hand.

What, nothing to spare from the wife's Victoria's secret collection? Of course most of those wouldn't cover much more than a pair of dome tweeters.

You should be able to attach more than one photo per post
Old 3rd March 2014, 04:51 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Grills:

Over time, I have moved from a more or less art deco cabinet that makes no provision for grills to a conventional and conservative design that is built around grills. It sells better. WAF. Sorry.

Picture 1 is one of my cabinets, a bass reflex for the A10P. Note that the cabinet edge is raised ¼” to fit with the grill. (Yes, my cabinets are dimensioned in Imperial. One-off commissions are in metric upon request.) Picture 2 is my standard grill. It is 12mm BB and held on with magnets. The edges have a 6mm chamfer, so stands 6mm proud of the edges. There is a 45* chamber on the inside under the grill cloth that may or may not affect defraction.

Occasionally I’ll get a customer who wants round-overs on the cabinet edges and grills for child protection only. I came up with these circular grills, Picture 3, that can also be used on my older style cabinets. Basically the same idea as my standard grill. Five passes with a router: 1) The groove on the back 2) the outside radius 3) the inside radius 4) ¼” round-over on the outside and 5) 45* chamfer on the inside. Picture 4 is the back side. I drilled for 6 magnets, but 3 are adequate. The grill cloth is held on with 1/8” vinyl screen spline.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B10-A10.jpg (91.9 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg Full Grill.jpg (101.1 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg Round Grill.jpg (70.8 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg Grill Back.jpg (82.4 KB, 132 views)
Old 3rd March 2014, 04:52 PM   #33
McDark is offline McDark  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to McDark
Bob, you're quite right on frame edge though I'd prefer radius edge look, it's kinda trendy. It might also lower possible diffraction effects probably.

Last edited by McDark; 3rd March 2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 3rd March 2014, 05:19 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Something from the wife's Nick Nack draw Chris? Given her ample blessing in the derrière department, I could have found something.

But I was considerate to the elder members who might have keeled over in Pythonesque rigor, at the sight of a large diamonte thong stretched over my bezel.
Old 3rd March 2014, 06:09 PM   #35
Bigun is online now Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Frames - I find the biggest issue is not the routing needed to rebate the driver (I like the look of rebated drivers), but rather the small tolerance / clearance for the mounting screw holes - still it's all quite doable, just not very easy for somebody without a little experience. I'd be quite happy to surface mount drivers too, certainly less trouble in some respects and especially if this allowed for more clearance between the mounting screws and the opening.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 3rd March 2014, 06:52 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

"bezel" - is that what the kids are calling it these days?
Old 3rd March 2014, 09:07 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Hi Mark
Yes its been a snowy winter so far, it will be nice to see it go.
Even thou we converted to the metric system way back in the 70s, I still find my self converting back to imperial measurements and degrees most of the time.
The jasper jig as Bob mentioned is drilled out in 1/16" increments, so I was going to drill a few select holes in the jig between the existing ones to reach those 1/32" diameter circles and hope that works.
So far I have only used the spiral type 1/4"router bit but I find it deflects even if i take multiple passes so I am going to try a straight cutting bit to see if this will correct the problem.
Bob if there is another jig on the market with infinitive measurements I would be interested to know about it.
Thanks Paul
Old 3rd March 2014, 09:45 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

I can't remember if Bob's already mentioned it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's not somethilng like the Rockler

Rockler Circle Cutting Jig - Rockler Woodworking Tools

and if you want to cut elliptical supra-baffles:

Rockler Ellipse/Circle Router Jig - Rockler Woodworking Tools
Old 3rd March 2014, 10:17 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

That jig looks like it would have to be drilled to cut anything smaller then 10", I’ve made many of that style over the years.
The style of circle jig i use for my bandsaw could be redesigned for a router it has a dato slot and a fitted length of hardwood that slides in the dato with a pin near the end, unfortunately when you set the radius by drilling a screw through the two pieces fine adjustments become tougher because the screw will follow into the same hole again.
Old 4th March 2014, 12:55 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

OK. This one.

Bob

Hide this!Advertise here!